Music: Steve Perry CD Traces first solo CD in 24 years

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Pushing 70 this is his first complete solo CD 24 and first CD in 22

Known as the voice of Journey ( a band you either hate or love) he has kept a low profile and had kept to himself and baseball stadiums singing in along with the crowd.

will be interesting is he gets any airplay

first song is self aware

Reactions: frisco

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

Pushing 70 this is his first complete solo CD 24 and first CD in 22

Known as the voice of Journey ( a band you either hate or love) he has kept a low profile and had kept to himself and baseball stadiums singing in along with the crowd.

will be interesting is he gets any airplay

first song is self aware

It sounds like a Coldplay song until Perry starts singing. He sings like he had a stroke and it's kind of creepy to hear an almost 70-year-old man talking about banging some chick in the back seat of a car. I know the elderly live on a fixed income and Social Security hasn't had a decent COLA increase in years but my God, go get a room you cheap B@stard. Clearly, Perry isn't self-aware how bad this crap sounds.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
If this doesn't hit big then all hope for music today is lost. I hate to be that guy but this is infinitely better than anything that has been released in the past 15 years.

My Best-Carey

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
I can't blame the guy for trying to earn some extra money while he still can. This is the type of song that someone would put in a cheesy flashback sequence or montage right before the big kiss in a rom con. If that's your jam, more power to you but it's not for me.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The chorus and hook are pretty strong, but it sags everywhere else and the lyrics have some problems (not enough honest feeling, no rhyme in places and not terribly age appropriate). I think that it could've been a hit song if a little more attention had been paid to the non-chorus parts. Still, it's better than I've heard from other 80s acts releasing new songs in the 2010s, though that's not saying much.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If this doesn't hit big then all hope for music today is lost. I hate to be that guy but this is infinitely better than anything that has been released in the past 15 years.

My Best-Carey
I read this post before I watched the video. I didn't think the contents of the video would be funnier or more tragic than the post, but it somehow managed it.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The album is at #6 on Billboard. Perry literally is 30 years older practically anyone else on there. I think Cher is lurking around #40 or so, though. This is a impressive comeback for the man.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Love Journey, love Steve Perry. I don't love the new album. I do like the three singles.

Still, I love hearing him sing again even if his voice is raspier and deeper. The man was a god-tier vocalist in his prime. Untouchable, really.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Love Journey, love Steve Perry. I don't love the new album. I do like the three singles.

Still, I love hearing him sing again even if his voice is raspier and deeper. The man was a god-tier vocalist in his prime. Untouchable, really.
He sounds better here than he does when he's singing live at Chicago cubs or sox games.

He sounds raspier (no , autocorrect ..not rapier...gross...oh ...you meant the sword...ok) than he did at his peak, but it's still his voice.

When you hear him sing at ball games, he's trying to pump up the crowd, doing an unrecognizable baritone "don't stop believing" cause he can't hit the high notes anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad