Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Reese McGuire healthy again finally, killed the GCL, having a good Dunedin debut. He needs to be rule 5 protected this offseason no? I assume you do it, worse case you just bring him to the big leagues as a backup catcher with good defense rather than risk losing him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Reese McGuire healthy again finally, killed the GCL, having a good Dunedin debut. He needs to be rule 5 protected this offseason no? I assume you do it, worse case you just bring him to the big leagues as a backup catcher with good defense rather than risk losing him.

Is there really any harm in bringing him in to be another Maile? Can he really be much worse, and there should be a lot more upside too.

If you have a good 3rd catcher in AAA (and the Jays do I think), I do not think it's a bad idea to have him be the backup next year.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Im more curious what happens when McGuire finishes his rehab assignment. Does Jansen get promoted to AAA?? Or do they split catching/dh duties in AA??

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

I think all three Pentecost, Jansen and McGuire could be rule 5 draft options.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Jays have a bit of a squeeze with 6 guys that I can count that require rule 5 protection that you want to protect. 3 catchers, Jansen, McGuire, Pentecost, then there's Greene, Tellez, and now Pannone too I think. There's room obviously right now with free agents, but IIRC we don't usually add 6 guys(and 3 catchers), gotta think if they add all 3 then they'll want 1 of them to be the backup as 5 catchers on the 40 man is a lot. Maybe they test McGuire in Buffalo once his rehab is up instead of sending him to AA knowing maybe they want to see him in Toronto maybe next year.

I mentioned a while ago maybe they don't add Pentecost and they're partially keeping him in Dunedin catching very rarely to ward teams off, not wanting to risk you backup catcher on a part time catcher who hasn't been above A+ however a team like San Diego would probably be dumb enough to do it anyway because they literally don't give a **** about performance if they can get a catcher with Max's potential bat.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Jays have a bit of a squeeze with 6 guys that I can count that require rule 5 protection that you want to protect. 3 catchers, Jansen, McGuire, Pentecost, then there's Greene, Tellez, and now Pannone too I think. There's room obviously right now with free agents, but IIRC we don't usually add 6 guys(and 3 catchers), gotta think if they add all 3 then they'll want 1 of them to be the backup as 5 catchers on the 40 man is a lot. Maybe they test McGuire in Buffalo once his rehab is up instead of sending him to AA knowing maybe they want to see him in Toronto maybe next year.

I mentioned a while ago maybe they don't add Pentecost and they're partially keeping him in Dunedin catching very rarely to ward teams off, not wanting to risk you backup catcher on a part time catcher who hasn't been above A+ however a team like San Diego would probably be dumb enough to do it anyway because they literally don't give a **** about performance if they can get a catcher with Max's potential bat.

The two you have to protect are Jansen and Greene. You should be fine with the others.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Can't see teams picking up Pentecost. Like you said he hasn't played much at catcher and hasn't played above A ball yet.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Bichette 3 for 3 with a walk

Another thing that looks interesting is he steals a decent amount of base's.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
15 other deals that were close and weren't finished for "whatever reason"...

Might be a busy/fun off-season or even August.

Wonder how Tampa rates Tobias Myers whom they got from Baltimore. I would have had interest in Beckham if we had someone similarwho interested them - Beckham is 27, 3 more years of control, more or less value offensively, defensively and on the base pads... also has 2.4 WAR in his last 162 games over the last two seasons.

Both Barney and Goins should be gone, cant trade Tulo and would be selling low on Travis so Beckham would have been great insurance/utlity behind those guys for 2018. A move i like from Baltimore.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
15 other deals that were close and weren't finished for "whatever reason"...

Might be a busy/fun off-season.

That's a pretty high number so I feel like it might be double, triple, quadruple counting deals for the same free agents. For example, 4 serious offers on Liriano, 3 on Estrada, 3 on Smith, 1 on Bautista, 2 on Happ and 2 others deal involving other non free agents

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Ideally they would trade him and then sign him back in the offseason. But an extension of some kind would be nice, too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Quick question, the waiver trade deadline is a deadline for teams to trade for players via trade waivers who can play on their MLB roster during the playoffs. However you can trade for players after the waiver trade deadline but they aren't eligible for the playoffs.

Is the non waiver trade deadline similar? For example could we trade say Pillar right now to some random team, without going through trade waivers, except the team acquiring them can't play them in the playoffs?

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
teams have until August 31 to have players on the playoff roster.

He's asking if teams can make trades in August without players passing through waivers if the players involved are deemed ineligible for the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I have nothing to back that up and hadn't even considered the possibility until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->