Steve Mears will replace Paul Steigerwald

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Paul Romanuk is worse as he usually has no idea who is doing what and incoherently rambles random words and phrases

Listen to how little he actually offers vs Gord Miller

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
I for one actually really like Steigerwald and Errey. They were also some of the most unbiased announcers in the league. They always gave credit to other players and played up how good they are. Thought Errey was pretty good.

Steigerwald's nicknames are legendary here north of PA.
Kris Letang- Liquid Gel.
Hal Gill- The U.S.S. Gill.
A bunch of others I have since forgotten, but those 2 comments, specifically the 1st one I'll never forget.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Should have never had his job this long. Easily the worst play by play guy in the league, and I don't think it's even close.

I for one actually really like Steigerwald and Errey. They were also some of the most unbiased announcers in the league. They always gave credit to other players and played up how good they are. Thought Errey was pretty good.

76116-Eddie-Murphy-WHAT-gif-Imgur-q5DT.gif

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
He is lucky this was a year or two before social media really morphed into what it is today otherwise there very well may have been outcry's for him to get canned or suspended for his poorly though out remarks here.

This joke was awesome. The faux outrage on HF is the real disgrace.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

jrolley325

Dec 12, 2010
Youngstown, OH
Steigy was an insufferable homer, but why do people act like it should be his job to call it down the middle for the hometown broadcast? Pretty sure he doesn't have to care for having to placate Gordie the Leafs fan in San Diego watching on Center Ice and call everything "down the middle."

As for Mike Lange being fired 10 years ago, it was a blatant salary dump while the economy was tanking, sugar-coated by Steve Tello as "a fresh set of eyes." Yeah, a "fresh set of eyes" is definitely bringing in a guy who had been an employee of the organization well before Mario even came along.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Steigy was an insufferable homer, but why do people act like it should be his job to call it down the middle for the hometown broadcast? Pretty sure he doesn't have to care for having to placate Gordie the Leafs fan in San Diego watching on Center Ice and call everything "down the middle."

It's the job of the play by play guy to call the game based on the events on the ice. They should be as objective as possible and just report what is happening. The color guy is there to be the homer and give his opinions. Steigerwald inaccurately calls the game to put a homer spin on it and interjects with his hugely biased opinion at every opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oryxo

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Steigerwald was horrible, but Errey is just as bad as him.

Seeing him as TSN's analyst panel for the World Championship is facepalm. "Well, Blackie, it's because the Italians forgot what physicality and hitting looks like out there". "Lets go the clips". Humongous tool.

Weird that they're just dropping him out of nowhere. I wonder if it's health concerns succumbing him to the ability to travel anymore. Mears is an upgrade, but I do have two concerns. First, he did the USA games for the WJC and he's not that good. Second, Errey will influence the situation a lot and make Mears into an unbearable homer like how Steigerwald was one before him. You can't treat cancer without removing ALL of the tumor.

It's not really being a homer for your home audience is the issue here. I actually have no problem with that, but it is the AMOUNT of times NHL Network or national media would use the Penguins home feed for all neutral fans to tune in and watch. That's what makes it disgraceful to have to listen to.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Steigerwald sounds like he's announcing a death in his family any time the opponents score a goal against the Penguins. Too bad he's not taking Errey along with him. One of the worst color commentators in sports.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Being a Pens fan I didn't mind Steigerwald being a homer. The man had been in the Pens organization from the early 80s on, and then he worked the Penguins broadcast. What did people expect? But what annoyed me was how often he would mix up players, didn't understand calls on the ice or why a whistle had blown, and generally missed lots of details. Errey (who has a very good eye for all of these things) had to correct and explain stuff several times a game.

I wonder how this dynamic will work with Mears now. Errey probably gets on your nerves fast with his childlike exuberance if he can't add valuable points his partner missed or got plain wrong.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Honestly, you are the only person I have ever seen who has this opinion. I'm not joking. I assume there are plenty more out there, but this is the first time I have seen anyone say this.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He is lucky this was a year or two before social media really morphed into what it is today otherwise there very well may have been outcry's for him to get canned or suspended for his poorly though out remarks here.

I still find this funny. In poor taste for sure but let's not pretend the average joe doesn't make jokes like that.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Errey is fine. He spends half the game trying to correct Steigerwald or steer him back to the actual topic at hand, aka the hockey game.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Steigerwald was just better imo. Mears has worse voice too something that cant be changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->