Steve Mears will replace Paul Steigerwald

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
He is lucky this was a year or two before social media really morphed into what it is today otherwise there very well may have been outcry's for him to get canned or suspended for his poorly though out remarks here.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Was reading about he Pen's broadcasters. Why was Mike Lange moved from TV to radio in the first place, especially when everyone seems to like him?

I was actually wondering the same thing :dunno:

The official rationale is as follows - from the Pittsburgh Tribune's article on the move:

"There have been a number of dramatic changes in the game," said Steve Tello, vice president and general manager of FSN Pittsburgh.

"With the new changes with the players on the ice, the management on the ice and possibly even new owners, we thought this was the time to give Paul the opportunity to move to the TV side," Tello said.

"Paul and (color commentator) Bob Errey were a team on the radio and did a terrific job. We feel that Paul is well suited to what we are trying to do with the game," Tello said.

"Mike has done a terrific job over the years, as has Paul. This is more about Paul's hard work and not a comment on Mike Lange. This is not a political decision. This is a television production decision."

Tello said he hopes that Lange "will embrace" the opportunity to return to radio and remain with the team.

"Once FSN informed us of their decision, we told them we'd like to offer Mike the radio job and keep him in the broadcast family," Penguins vice president of communications Tom McMillan said.

Remington 700

Jul 11, 2007
South Park, PA
Was reading about he Pen's broadcasters. Why was Mike Lange moved from TV to radio in the first place, especially when everyone seems to like him?

This is what people don't remember about Mike Lange. From about 2001-2004 he was a horrible announcer. I understand the on ice product was bad but he seemed to think when the game was on that he could treat his play by play duties as an open mic. The game would be going on and he'd start ranting about subjects that had nothing to do with hockey. I remember him telling a story about an old car of his when a goal was scored and he literally said "there's a goal on the ice" and went back to his ramble.

Him being taken off TV and moved to radio extended his career because I think it knocked him down a peg and forced him to focus on calling the game.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
He is lucky this was a year or two before social media really morphed into what it is today otherwise there very well may have been outcry's for him to get canned or suspended for his poorly though out remarks here.

I know it's not something you say on air but i still find this funny to this day, lol.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site

This is still legitimately one of the best jokes I've heard in my life.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL

people actually use social media to joke about this now. that's just how hilariously bad he was

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Mears was really best case scenario and it's funny how I was just talking to my wife about "The Pens should try to hire Mears back" about 1 month ago. I still think this might also be the phasing out of Errey too in 2-3 years. They will keep him to have some continuity.

We just went from THE worst broadcast crew to one of the best IMO....And Mears is young.

A Mears/Rupp combo would be my dream, but I doubt that would happen. Errey is tolerable as a sidekick, but lets not act like there is no room for improvement there. He's just a little too unpolished at times. Regardless, I'm over the moon with this.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I think it needs restating that this isn't a decision the Pittsburgh Penguins made or can make. They don't own ROOT Sports.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Mears was really best case scenario and it's funny how I was just talking to my wife about "The Pens should try to hire Mears back" about 1 month ago. I still think this might also be the phasing out of Errey too in 2-3 years. They will keep him to have some continuity.

We just went from THE worst broadcast crew to one of the best IMO....And Mears is young.

A Mears/Rupp combo would be my dream, but I doubt that would happen. Errey is tolerable as a sidekick, but lets not act like there is no room for improvement there. He's just a little too unpolished at times. Regardless, I'm over the moon with this.

If you saw Errey when he was doing work for NHL network a few years ago he was really fantastic. I think Steigy brings out the goof in him. I am confident that being paired with Mears is only going to help him.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Not a Pens fan, but I'm a Mears fan so I'm glad to hear this. I used to watch NHL Live with him and EJ Hradek every single day. I love them as a duo. I haven't watched for at least year now so I guess I won't miss him.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
This is what people don't remember about Mike Lange. From about 2001-2004 he was a horrible announcer. I understand the on ice product was bad but he seemed to think when the game was on that he could treat his play by play duties as an open mic. The game would be going on and he'd start ranting about subjects that had nothing to do with hockey. I remember him telling a story about an old car of his when a goal was scored and he literally said "there's a goal on the ice" and went back to his ramble.

Him being taken off TV and moved to radio extended his career because I think it knocked him down a peg and forced him to focus on calling the game.

So pretty much Bob Uecker in Major League.

Good news for Penguins fans. Steigerwald is a crime against humanity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad