Steve Larmer

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hey guys and gals,

I hope everyone has had a good weekend!

I wanted to learn a bit about Steve Larmer, as with a lot of the guys I ask about Larmer played just before I got into hockey. I know he played on the Hawks and Rangers (and maybe even more teams), a left had shot and I'm thinking he was a left wing. What did Larmer bring to the table/what skill set did he have? I know Keenan really liked him (got him on the Rangers in 94 after coaching him on the Hawks). Strengths, weaknesses, watershed moments would be welcome to learn from you guys as always! Look forward to the feedback!-Jim

P.S. I could be off on this...but at a passing glance could Larmer and Gary Suter be easy to confuse appearance-wise?

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Nicknamed Gramps. Hockey IQ through the roof. Never got media attention playing in shadow of sexier names like Savard, Chelios, Belfour and Roenick. Incredibly responsible two-way player. Very clean. Well-respected by his peers. Tough. Ironman (884 straight games - ended only by a justified hold out). Goal-scoring leader at '91 Canada Cup and scored tournament winner. IMO his acquisition is what put the Rangers over the top. Was on the ice as horn blew on Game 7 of '94 Finals, successfully defending New York's slim lead in the dying seconds. Incredibly consistent, be it regular season or playoffs. Consumate pro. Would easily take him over several in the Hall.

You want to win games? Load up on Steve Larmers.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
...playing in shadow of sexier names like Savard, Chelios, Belfour and Roenick.
Good post, but those latter three names are almost a different era. I think of Larmer more in the Savard, Wilson, Murray-era Hawks.

I like how Larmer didn't hang around forever, bouncing from team to team as a free agent. Once he started slowing down, he retired.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Good post, but those latter three names are almost a different era. I think of Larmer more in the Savard, Wilson, Murray-era Hawks.

I like how Larmer didn't hang around forever, bouncing from team to team as a free agent. Once he started slowing down, he retired.

I dont get it? Larmer played with all those players and were on the hawks team that went to the finals in 92 with those latter players. He's pretty synonymous with both eras.

Reactions: Dingo

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I dont get it? Larmer played with all those players and were on the hawks team that went to the finals in 92 with those latter players. He's pretty synonymous with both eras.
I guess so, but that Chelios/Belfour/Roenick era didn't really start until 1990. Larmer was a regular from 1982.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I guess so, but that Chelios/Belfour/Roenick era didn't really start until 1990. Larmer was a regular from 1982.

Thats still four seasons of Larmer when Hawks were at its peak. I'd agree with you if Larmer was passé by that point but he was an integral part of those hawks teams.

Reactions: Dingo

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nicknamed Gramps. Hockey IQ through the roof. Never got media attention playing in shadow of sexier names like Savard, Chelios, Belfour and Roenick. Incredibly responsible two-way player. Very clean. Well-respected by his peers. Tough. Ironman (884 straight games - ended only by a justified hold out). Goal-scoring leader at '91 Canada Cup and scored tournament winner. IMO his acquisition is what put the Rangers over the top. Was on the ice as horn blew on Game 7 of '94 Finals, successfully defending New York's slim lead in the dying seconds. Incredibly consistent, be it regular season or playoffs. Consumate pro. Would easily take him over several in the Hall.

You want to win games? Load up on Steve Larmers.

Bolded is what describes him best.

Another, perhaps slightly more skilled version of Trevor Linden, never a superstar but a very good all around player teams need and strive to acquire.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
This is so cool/interesting to learn from you all he was a 200 foot player and the respect he has from you guys!!...gonna take a look at his stats here too. Is there a interesting/funny story on how he got the nickname "Gramps"?

If worth mentioning too...I don't know how many "well-known" players did this back in the 80's, 90's etc. I heard Larmer smoked, maybe even during intermissions?

Reactions: ORHawksFan

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
This is so cool/interesting to learn from you all he was a 200 foot player and the respect he has from you guys!!...gonna take a look at his stats here too. Is there a interesting/funny story on how he got the nickname "Gramps"?

If worth mentioning too...I don't know how many "well-known" players did this back in the 80's, 90's etc. I heard Larmer smoked, maybe even during intermissions?

I used to see Savvy with a cig dangling while horsing around on the ice before practices. Unbelievable they could perform at that level while being a smoker.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
His whole Party Line in Chicago consisted of heavy smokers, but it was a different, less professional era. As a person Larmer came across as rather grumpy so the Gramps nickname always felt suitable to me.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
His whole Party Line in Chicago consisted of heavy smokers, but it was a different, less professional era. As a person Larmer came across as rather grumpy so the Gramps nickname always felt suitable to me.

Yea, his resting scowl face is how "Gramps" came to be

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hey guys and gals,

I hope everyone has had a good weekend!

I wanted to learn a bit about Steve Larmer, as with a lot of the guys I ask about Larmer played just before I got into hockey. I know he played on the Hawks and Rangers (and maybe even more teams), a left had shot and I'm thinking he was a left wing. What did Larmer bring to the table/what skill set did he have? I know Keenan really liked him (got him on the Rangers in 94 after coaching him on the Hawks). Strengths, weaknesses, watershed moments would be welcome to learn from you guys as always! Look forward to the feedback!-Jim

P.S. I could be off on this...but at a passing glance could Larmer and Gary Suter be easy to confuse appearance-wise?

Loved him. I wonder why Keenan never picked him for the Canada Cup in 1987. I guess he hadn't coached him in Chicago yet unlike by 1991 but he was just one of those guys who was always good but never really had a peak to speak of and didn't do anything else to elevate him as a surefire HHOFer. He didn't hang around and pad his stats, he had just one 100 point season, he was in Savard's shadow, etc.

But he was the kind of guy everyone wanted on their team. Could grind it out but wasn't dirty. If Ryan Smyth put up better numbers it might translate into Larmer. Basically someone you always wanted on your team.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Larmer had a superstar and a 50 goal 300 minute enforcer on his line right out of the gate

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Larmer had a superstar and a 50 goal 300 minute enforcer on his line right out of the gate

And you thought he was 23 as the Calder winner? And you equate him to Bo Horvat?

Yikes.

The History section can be JUST a learning/reading area. You don't HAVE to post, especially regarding a player you clearly never saw play.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I have Larmer falling just short of the Hall of Fame, but he was certainly a fantastic player.

Yeah, same here but a very respectable player and career from what I've seen and read...

How is he perceived as a playoff performer?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Whats Larmers P/60 vs Horvats P/60? Anyone know?

Give me his damn corsi numbers!

1490844636-jack-nicholson.jpg

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
Yeah, same here but a very respectable player and career from what I've seen and read...

How is he perceived as a playoff performer?

How he's perceived, I'm not sure, but he did have six playoff seasons of at least 10 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->