OT: Steve Kariya (w/ NHL Power Week feature)

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I found some video of Steve Kariya and thought I'd share.

to3397aetqz11.jpg

Kariya brothers face each other for first time
Tuesday, December 7, 1999
Kariya brothers face each other for first time
VANCOUVER (CP) -- They've battled in table tennis, baseball, cribbage, checkers and in-line skating races on the hill near their North Vancouver home.

But tonight in Anaheim will be the first time Paul and Steve Kariya face off against each other in any hockey game when the Mighty Ducks face the Vancouver Canucks.

"The most difficult thing for me during the game will be not critiquing his play while he's out there," Ducks star Paul said in a conference call Tuesday from Anaheim.

Steve, the Vancouver rookie who is four years younger than Paul, said he doesn't see the game as a chance to measure his talents against his older sibling.

"I've never tried to play like Paul or be like Paul," said Steve, 21, who is tied for fourth among rookie scorers with 16 points, including six goals. "I have to go out there and play my own game and be my own person. I've learned a lot from him and he's been nothing but a help for my career."

Paul, 25, in his sixth NHL season and fourth as the Ducks captain, phones home regularly for updates on his brother.

"I've been extra proud of what he's done," said Paul, who leads Anaheim with 12 goals and is tied with teammate Teemu Selanne in team scoring with 26 points. "It thrills me. It's one of the biggest thrills I've had."

Canucks send Steve Kariya to Syracuse
Friday, January 28, 2000
Canucks send Steve Kariya to Syracuse
VANCOUVER (CP) -- Rookie left-winger Steve Kariya has been assigned to the Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League, the Vancouver Canucks announced Friday.

Kariya, a native of North Vancouver and the younger brother of NHL star Paul Kariya of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, appeared in 43 games for the Canucks this season, registering eight goals and 11 assists, with a team-leading plus-9 rating.

The 22-year-old was a teammate of Syracuse goaltender Alfie Michaud at the University of Maine, which won the 1999 NCAA championship.
Kariya's return to the NHL short-lived
Thursday, March 2, 2000
Kariya's return to the NHL short-lived

VANCOUVER (CP) -- Steve Kariya's return to the NHL lasted only two games.

The Vancouver Canucks shipped the diminutive left-winger back to the AHL's Syracuse Crunch on Thursday, along with winger Josh Holden.

Kariya, 22, returned to the Canucks on Feb. 23 after a month with the Crunch. But the younger brother of superstar brother Paul Kariya went pointless in two games with the Canucks.
In 10 games in Syracuse last month he had 11 goals and five assists, plus set a club record with four goals in a Feb. 18 game.

The Canucks signed Kariya as a free agent last summer, giving him a three-year deal at $535,000 US a season.
The five-foot-seven Kariya was an instant fan favourite in Vancouver when he finished tied for second in the NHL's pre-season scoring with 10 points, including two goals, in six games.

He scored his first NHL goal in the third game of the season against Montreal. But as his effectiveness diminished, so did his ice time. By Christmas, he was playing six minutes or less a game or watching from the press box.

The first ticket to Syracuse came Jan. 28 after going 15 NHL games without a goal. He has eight goals and 11 assists in 45 games with Vancouver.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Had the pleasure of meeting him last April during the Canucks Alumni game in Kitimat. We went to the same high school (my sister even had his dad as a teacher for Math), so we chatted a fair bit. Very nice guy, a lot of neat insights on hockey at all levels, and phenomenal with kids. Agree that he’s a guy who could have made a lot of noise in the modern NHL.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
OT - his brother might be still in the NHL today if not for that sack of manure Gary Suter (ok, at 44 he wouldn't be playing but still, he was still in his prime at the time of the cheapshot hit). @#@#$ Suter also gave a cheapshot hit to Gretzky that likely had an impact on shortening his career.

Gary Suter is one of my least favourite players ever. Such a dirty POS. Don’t forget him baseball swinging his stick into the face of Andrei Lomakin in the 1987 Canada Cup. One of the more brutal incidents I’ve ever seen - broke his stick over the guy’s face.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad