WGR: Steve Greeley GR Interview 6/8/18

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
6-8: Sabres' AGM Steve Greeley with Howard and Jeremy on WGR (15:12)

#Sabres assistant general manager Steve Greeley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR to talk about some of the European signings the team has made this offseason! Tune in:

Greeley - We got to spend some nice time with Dahlin at the Combine. He's a good, humble kid. #Sabres

Greeley - He's a very good, young player. We're thrilled to be in the position we are in with the first pick. #Sabres

Greeley - the league hasn't gotten easier, but it has gotten younger. Speed is probably a bigger part of the game than it was 5-10 years ago. While it's a difficult adjustment for all young players, players with speed are tending to have a quicker impact in the game. #Sabres

Greeley - speed is a key ingredient in today's game and we've identified that. As much faster as the game has gotten, the grit of the game has not diminished. #Sabres

Greeley - Pilut was a player we were excited to get. He's young, has played in the SHL at a young age, and hope he can come in to Buffalo and grow into the organization. #Sabres

Greeley - He gets up into the play, moves the puck well, was always in the top-minutes played for defenseman in the SHL. He may be undersized, but his hockey IQ has helped him stand out. #Sabres

Greeley - We think Pilut has room to grow and be a good puck-moving defenseman in the NHL at some point. #Sabres

Greeley - Pilut was a kid that we had to get in on. We were on him even before his stats took off. His team won the championship in 2016-17, and we were seeing him then. #Sabres

Greeley - Pilut will compete for a spot in the NHL. He's got some adjusting to do, but he's like a good college senior coming out. #Sabres

Greeley - What we're excited to see is how his hockey IQ can adjust to the North American game. His brain is so good with the puck, I think he can adjust quickly. #Sabres

Greeley - Asplund is a very reliable two-way center. Can bring some offense, responsible in the defensive zone. We're really excited for him, he's been hungry to get here. He's got the passion and drive to be a Buffalo Sabre. #Sabres

Greeley - Asplund took a jump offensively this year. He got more comfortable offensively, took the next step offensively that allowed us to bring him over this offseason. #Sabres

Greeley - Olofsson's biggest attribute is the how he can score goals. His release is something you can't teach, he has an exceptional ability to shoot the puck. He's capable of playing both wings, and we expect him to come over and produce offensively. #Sabres

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Glad that GR actually had him on.

I work with someone who bumped into him in Boston recently. She said he couldn't have been nicer. He ended up getting Jack to sign some pictures for them once he was back in Buffalo and mailed them to her, along with a note saying to shoot him an email for comp tix to a regular season game this season. There was other stuff too, but I don't want to put third hand 'rumor' stuff here, so I'm sticking to facts.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I work with someone who bumped into him in Boston recently. She said he couldn't have been nicer. He ended up getting Jack to sign some pictures for them once he was back in Buffalo and mailed them to her, along with a note saying to shoot him an email for comp tix to a regular season game this season. There was other stuff too, but I don't want to put third hand 'rumor' stuff here, so I'm sticking to facts.

Such a tease

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

We literally have a thread called “roster speculation” :nod::nod::nod:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Best comment in the interview was “we could spend the next 5 to 10 years trying to teach everyone to shoot like Victor Olofson and it probably wouldn’t work.” That gives me chills.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Guhle vs Pilut is going to be one of the more interesting battles in camp.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Best comment in the interview was “we could spend the next 5 to 10 years trying to teach everyone to shoot like Victor Olofson and it probably wouldn’t work.” That gives me chills.

If they are going to have a volume shooter who can't do anything else but shoot (lowest end assessment on VO), would they rather have one who is on an ELC and can skate or one who's making north of $5M USD and can't? Or can they roll both out?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think VO will be a nice niche player who isn’t expected to do anything but snipe. After watching the Caps, I am not sure that isn’t a bad thing. Volume will be dependent on whether Dr.
Phil can live with a limited tool player in a top 6 role. Than again Barry is available.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
If they are going to have a volume shooter who can't do anything else but shoot (lowest end assessment on VO), would they rather have one who is on an ELC and can skate or one who's making north of $5M USD and can't? Or can they roll both out?

An word on his skating and or speed?
Sounds like VO is our lite version of OV.

(Very lite)

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I hope we come out this next season like we did for the first 5 games last season before the coaches gave up on their players ever taking the risks required to succeed in a run and gun 5 man attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad