News Article: Steve Duemig has brain cancer | passed away May 16, 2019

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I first met Steve when I worked at Channel 32 and WFNS moved into the building.

Sports Babe had fled to Seattle and Steve wound up with the show. Phil and Tony Esposito were around all the time promoting the Lightning and out of loyalty WFNS got the first Lightning radio control. However WFNS's signal had issues and the the games were also on WSUN which would become WDAE.

I moved back north because I could not deal with Florida summers but always kept in touch. I was lucky enough to spend and afternoon with Steve and Chris Thomas at Tampa Bay Downs. I can't believe Chris left us 13 years ago.

Sending prayers from Boston.

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Damn. I met Steve years ago at a remote when he was on 1250 and WDAE just got started. Then I met him at the track with Chris and again at his remotes with Mike Alstott.

He's a good guy and a huge fan of hockey in this area. This is very depressing news as many stations have moved to cheaper national syndicated programs instead of local talent.

Godspeed Big Dog. We're praying for you.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I've been out of it a bit recent w medical issues and have had a bad day, then I see this! Same thing hit his wife, this is total bullsh!t. F**k you, cancer!

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Update:
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/tvra...-dog-steve-duemig-hopes-to-bark-again/2323280

He has made a living fighting with Tampa Bay sports fans. Now he is in the fight of his life.

For Steve Duemig, the longtime afternoon drive host at WDAE 620-AM and the dean of sports-talk radio in Tampa Bay, this isn't about some caller in St. Pete or Brandon, arguing about what's wrong with the Rays or how many games the Bucs are going to win.

This is the most formidable opponent of all.

"It's something you don't want to hear: cancer," Duemig said. "It gets pretty scary. But you put your faith in the doctors and the oncologists and the radiologists and you just go from there. But how scary is it? Very. It's very scary."

In his first interview since the diagnosis, Duemig talked about the night he nearly died, the stunning diagnosis and his arduous road to recovery.

It started on Feb. 4 at his Clearwater home. He was getting ready to watch the third period of the Lightning-Ducks game. The next thing he remembers is waking up three days later in intensive care and he couldn't move the right side of his body.

He soon learned why. He had a brain tumor.

Duemig, 62, was diagnosed with an astro cytoplasmic tumor. The original prognosis was grim, but Duemig says his outlook is encouraging. He just completed six weeks of intense radiation and chemotherapy treatment designed by Duke University. On May 22, Duemig will return to Duke to see how effective the treatment has been.

"I've got many years left," Duemig said. "It's the kind of cancer that's contained. If they shrink it, it gives you years. This isn't the worst kind. It's a Stage 2 cancer. I guess you could it's not a bad kind of cancer."

Duemig laughs as he says that.

"It's not like there's a good kind of cancer," Duemig said. "But this could have been worse."

What's so odd to Duemig is that, for the most part, he feels okay. He has regained full motion in his body. He has lost 33 pounds, but the side effects of the treatment haven't been too bad. No nausea. No hair loss. Just fatigue.

As far as going back on the air someday?

"Absolutely," Duemig said. "That's my plan."

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Thank you for the update. I've hung out with Steve and Chris in the past and they are the legends in Tampa Bay sports radio, love them or hate them.

Now that my father has just been diagnosed with cancer, Steve's fight really hits home.

I pray he recovers and can come on the air to share his story and meet with his fans one day so we can all raise a toast to him.

Steve, if you're surfing here, you're in our prayers.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Really sad. I knew Steve a little. He was always a good guy to my wife and I.

It shouldnt be understated how instrumental he was to the Lightnings growing popularity in the market. He was the number one sports voice in Tampa for over 20 years. His main love always seemed to be the Lightning and he was never shy about talking hockey during PM drive.

Dude will be missed.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Important to know that his on air personality was not the same as off the air steve.

RIP Steve

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I didn't agree with him much but he deserves props for being the only guy to consistently talk about hockey in this market.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
I first met Steve when I worked at Channel 32 and WFNS moved into the building.

Sports Babe had fled to Seattle and Steve wound up with the show. Phil and Tony Esposito were around all the time promoting the Lightning and out of loyalty WFNS got the first Lightning radio control. However WFNS's signal had issues and the the games were also on WSUN which would become WDAE.

I moved back north because I could not deal with Florida summers but always kept in touch. I was lucky enough to spend and afternoon with Steve and Chris Thomas at Tampa Bay Downs. I can't believe Chris left us 13 years ago.

Sending prayers from Boston.

Oh some of the great Chris Thomas stories I could tell...

But losing Steve just is another part of Lightning history, IMHO. He honestly loved the team and promoted the hell out of our Bolts. His voice will sorely be missed.

Reactions: Still All In

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad