Steve Downie

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
If they extend him, they'll need to ship out one of Simmonds or hartnell. Laughton Will slot right in next season. Should be some savings on the cap, too.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think downie needs to be extended , but i do have my reservations. What type of contract would he get?

IM hoping for a 4x4 type of deal just a smidge higher than read.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think downie needs to be extended , but i do have my reservations. What type of contract would he get?

IM hoping for a 4x4 type of deal just a smidge higher than read.

I think 3.75... just due to his injuries over the last few years.

His PPG mean he should be in the 4-4.5 range really looking at recent contracts.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I would use the Matt Read contract extension as a starting-point for Downie and something approaching the Simmonds deal as the upper limit. Read is about one year older than Downie, but "younger" in NHL experience and perhaps physical mileage as well. They both bring a diversity of skills.

If Downie is re-signed, I do wonder who will be odd man out in our forward group down the line. Hopefully it's someone who helps us land a valuable d-man.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Whatever the contract is I hope it is 4 years or less and below Matt Read's cap hit. I would like to use a player or two to get a young defenseman or a player that can help Giroux.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I am not so quick to jump on the re-sign Downie parade yet. I am not denying he helped Couts bring his game back from the depths of hell, but Couts has always been viewed from the Flyers management as a guy who could produce offensively. They love his potential. I believe this turn around was coming with or without Downie, but you can't deny he helped fuel it. Now if we see the market shaping up this summer and there is maybe a better option out there than Downie, I would be in favor of making a splash. As of right now though, it doesn't seem like a better option for the "3rd" line will be out there. Also, I would like to see it play out for the rest of the year, there is no denying the chemistry, just want to see if it can progress all year. If it does, then around March or so I would be all for it. Ryan Callahan is one name I can think of that would be an improvement over Downie for the third line. Still strange they haven't been much details in contract talks up there with him, but they did just get the King re-signed, so all the attention might have been on him.

On a side note, I see Ray Whitney will be a UFA again this year. How father time has finally caught up with him. Always liked him and thought he would look good in Orange and Black. I just don't think it would be worth it anymore.

Vanek is still the target I pursue I am the GM of the Flyers. He would look sexy on Giroux's wing, and he has a knack for going to the front of the net nd making some filthy plays there. Giroux would finally have his guy.

Or of course.......... Bobby Ryan.

Honestly my off season wish list right now stands like this

1) Alex Pietrangelo/Shea Weber(Don't argue)
2)Vanek(top liner for Giroux finally)
3)Giradi(Would be an improvement on our d+ make Coburn expendable if we get the right deal
4)Callahan(Ranger fans would hate us+him beyond belief)(Also, a lot of people think he will sign in Buffalo, why would he though? That team is several years away from even being competitive)
5)Bobby Ryan(suck it Phaneuf)

Double Edit: Is it too early for an off season wish list thread? I don't think it would be.

Last edited:

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I am not so quick to jump on the re-sign Downie parade yet. I am not denying he helped Couts bring his game back from the depths of hell, but Couts has always been viewed from the Flyers management as a guy who could produce offensively. They love his potential. I believe this turn around was coming with or without Downie, but you can't deny he helped fuel it. Now if we see the market shaping up this summer and there is maybe a better option out there than Downie, I would be in favor of making a splash. As of right now though, it doesn't seem like a better option for the "3rd" line will be out there. Also, I would like to see it play out for the rest of the year, there is no denying the chemistry, just want to see if it can progress all year. If it does, then around March or so I would be all for it. Ryan Callahan is one name I can think of that would be an improvement over Downie for the third line. Still strange they haven't been much details in contract talks up there with him, but they did just get the King re-signed, so all the attention might have been on him.

On a side note, I see Ray Whitney will be a UFA again this year. How father time has finally caught up with him. Always liked him and thought he would look good in Orange and Black. I just don't think it would be worth it anymore.

Vanek is still the target I pursue I am the GM of the Flyers. He would look sexy on Giroux's wing, and he has a knack for going to the front of the net nd making some filthy plays there. Giroux would finally have his guy.

3)Giradi(Would be an improvement on our d+ make Coburn expendable if we get the right deal
4)Callahan(Ranger fans would hate us+him beyond belief)(Also, a lot of people think he will sign in Buffalo, why would he though? That team is several years away from even being competitive)

Double Edit: Is it too early for an off season wish list thread? I don't think it would be.

All of those players will be too expensive via free agency/trade. There is zero chance Pietrangelo gets dealt. Weber may be a possibility because of the depth Nashville has at defense but they'd have every right to ask for Couturier+++.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
All of those players will be too expensive via free agency/trade. There is zero chance Pietrangelo gets dealt. Weber may be a possibility because of the depth Nashville has at defense but they'd have every right to ask for Couturier+++.

You clearly missed the don't argue next to my top choice on my wish list damnit!

I honestly don't ever expect them in Flyers jerseys, they are just my two favorite players not on the Flyers.

Ryan Callahan and Giradi I think both could be had for at cap hits of 5 or 6 million(Giradi at 5.5 would be ideal and Callahn would be at most 6 million I would go, and that's pushing it.)

They would be great additions to our team though.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I would love to see them re-sign Downie, he understands his role and doesn't overplay himself
He does the basics right and has gotten his game under control since his last stint in Philly
Read-Couts-Downie
Is such a great line, playing most to all of the tough minutes against the other teams top line, AND generating offense as well
I would like this line to be around next year, and after that if possible, please and thank you

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
You clearly missed the don't argue next to my top choice on my wish list damnit!

I honestly don't ever expect them in Flyers jerseys, they are just my two favorite players not on the Flyers.

Ryan Callahan and Giradi I think both could be had for at cap hits of 5 or 6 million(Giradi at 5.5 would be ideal and Callahn would be at most 6 million I would go, and that's pushing it.)

They would be great additions to our team though.

Girardi is probably a 6.5M add and Callahan is likely right around 6-6.5M. Remember that you need to take the reasonable free agent number and add like 25% because of how ridiculous the market is. If Carle gets 5.5M, it's tough to suggest Girardi doesn't get more.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly

1. I am arguing this. Never gonna happen. Is there a problem with that? :laugh:
2. Don't really want Vanek on the team at his likely cap hit and term; doesn't really fit with the forward core age wise, I think.
3. Wouldn't mind him if the contract is reasonable and another D is traded.
4. Would like Callahan.
5. This needs to go away.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Giradi and Callahan would be great adds, but... how on earth are these guys 6.5 million players? Those would be awful buys at that price. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole

Vanek I understand why he will be expensive, but still want no part of the contract he'll get.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Giradi and Callahan would be great adds, but... how on earth are these guys 6.5 million players? Those would be awful buys at that price. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole

Vanek I understand why he will be expensive, but still want no part of the contract he'll get.

Callahan will probably go for 4.5 million and 6 years at the most. Girardi would be an excellent addition to the Flyers team and then we would could finally trade Coburn. Girardi is a great first pairing defenseman who would fit perfectly in Philly. Girardi is arguably a top 20 defenseman in the NHL, so I'd say he would probably look for a contract of at least 5 million for again probably 6 years.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Callahan will probably go for 4.5 million and 6 years at the most.
Did you miss this last summer? Look at Clarkson's contract. Callahan will get more than that. He brings a lot of the same 'intangibles' and is the superior player offensively. He'll get $6M somewhere if he explores free agency.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
With all those adds, the Flyers better start with some trading. This team really will only have a few "holes" after this year, lots of players are locked up long term.

You want Vanek, you have to move Simmonds or Hartnell.

Girardi would slide in the roster, but you have to move bigger contracts again, Coburn? Grossman?

I wouldn't mind Callahan either but I'm assuming thats in place of Vanek, not both.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
How about you trade:

Voracek, B. Schenn, L. Schenn, 1st Rd in 2014, 2nd Rd in 2015 for Shea Weber?

RJ8812*

We don't have the assets to acquire Ryan. We'll have to wait and see if he reaches free agency in 2015 to get him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad