Steve Downie

HeadShot

Dec 8, 2009
Downie has quietly put up 3 assists and is a plus 2 since he came back. I was so pissed when he got traded but I knew in my gut he would find his way back here someday

Last edited by a moderator:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I really like that Read-Couturier-Downie line.

Read and Couturier are both the best defensive forwards on the team and Downie is a physical presence who will win board battles and crashes the net.

Good mix of speed, playmaking, shooting, defense and physicality.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
From what I have seen so far I would like to keep Downie next year, but I dont think we will be able to fit him under the cap unless it goes up a lot.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I like Downie, however, he's going to be expensive to retain, he's injury prone, and guys like Raffl and Laughton shouldn't be blocked from playing more minutes at the expense of him.

Although he looks good with Couturier and Read, I don't think too many other much cheaper players wouldn't look good there. I'd really like to see Raffl get a shot on that line.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I like Downie, however, he's going to be expensive to retain, he's injury prone, and guys like Raffl and Laughton shouldn't be blocked from playing more minutes at the expense of him.

Although he looks good with Couturier and Read, I don't think too many other much cheaper players wouldn't look good there. I'd really like to see Raffl get a shot on that line.

The Flyers will likely break Laughton in the same way as they did Couturier at the 4th line center spot next year. Downie likely wouldn't have any effect on him but I do agree that we need to get a little more bigger up front & when you add in the injuries & likely price of Downie I think it would be better for us to move on.

krasy

Nov 9, 2013

Or McGinn

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
The Flyers will likely break Laughton in the same way as they did Couturier at the 4th line center spot next year. Downie likely wouldn't have any effect on him but I do agree that we need to get a little more bigger up front & when you add in the injuries & likely price of Downie I think it would be better for us to move on.
That's probably true, but unlike Couturier, he obviously spent another two years in juniors and in all likelyhood will be ready for more than 4th line time very early into the next season. Downie might not have an effect on that immediately, but any contract he signs will assuredly be at least 4-5 years and although trades will certainly happen, the top nine is mostly set for the foreseeable future with no one in any risk of retiring or leaving via UFA. Frankly, I don't think Downie's better than any of Giroux, Voracek, Lecavalier, Read, Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, or Hartnell, so if he were re-signed, someone would have to be traded for Laughton to have a spot there.

All that being said, I think Holmgren loves Downie and he'll probably trade one of Schenn, Simmonds, or even Laughton to make room up front, which will be dumb.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
WE have a bunch of guys under 6 feet. Giroux, Read, Downie, Rinaldo, Gus, Kimmo.

We are not as big as you think.

The team averages around 73.5 inches average height overall... so about the 10th biggest in the NHL.

Our most recent forward combination was 73.2 inches. Our forwards are above average in the NHL in terms of size (no stats for this year, but average forward height usually around 72.5-72.8)

The median height of our forwards is 74 inches... 8/12 are over 6ft1 (forward average).

Our most recent D combination was 73 inches. That is under average in the NHL (no stats for this year, but the average height is usually around 73.5-73.8)

Our current lines average 73.2 inches in height (including Mason... as all NHL teams averages include goalies, so would skew if not included.)

The median height of the current lineup (including goalies, 20 man team) is 74 inches... over NHL average by almost an inch. 13/20 players are above 73 inches (NHL average)

The average height in the NHL is 73.2 inches.

So while the team is by no means enormous... they are certainly above NHL average, even at the moment with a pretty small lineup compared to what they could put out.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It was posted last night on Twitter. Downie is probably on the only winger on this team that can play on all 3 lines well without looking out of place. Not sure how you put a price on that. Since his acquisition the team has gone on a nice little streak....

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
WE have a bunch of guys under 6 feet. Giroux, Read, Downie, Rinaldo, Gus, Kimmo.

We are not as big as you think.

If you count in the defense, which I was, we certainly are big

I also think it's important to mention how some of the small guys "play big." I'm not concerned with being out-muscled.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad