Sportsnet Steve Dangle: How both Boston and San Jose won the Joe Thornton trade

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
My fear with this team is that they've shown a propensity for thinking they're the smartest person in the room, and that is dangerous.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much everyone involved in making the decision to trade Thornton is no longer involved with making those sorts of decisions.

I'm not sure that fear is really well-founded at this point.

Reactions: Mione134

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Or maybe Boston wins 3 cups if they didn’t make/pooch that trade... the “it worked out” argument is pretty irrelevant when looking at the trade to me

Seems unlikely.. that team wasn't heading in a great direction. It needed the Chara/Savard type change.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If you told me that game took place in 2020 I’d call you a liar.

If you told me I went to THREE games id call you a liar. I look back on the pictures in my phone like it was a fever dream. The last sporting event I went to was USWNT game in Jersey 4 days before everything shut down. I took precautions then but man. Knowing days later shit hit the fan still triggers me. This year has seemed like 5.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much everyone involved in making the decision to trade Thornton is no longer involved with making those sorts of decisions.

The Thornton trade isn't what makes me feel that way. I'm talking about the consequences of lucking into a positive result based on a bad decision, and how it can reinforce bad decision-making.

My feeling on the current management group, and it's possible I'm alone in this, is that they think they're smarter than other teams. A number of their decisions have made me feel this way. It doesn't matter whether they're right or wrong because the very belief is the issue.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Jacobs.PNG
Sinden.PNG
Bradley.PNG
McVie.PNG

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know how anyone could say the Seguin trade was worse than the Thornton trade. Thornton scored 125 points that year

The fact that 2 of the 4 pieces Seguin got back turned out to be essentially career minor leaguers makes it worse for me. At least Thornton got 3 established NHL players.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I equate the Thornton trade with the 2015 draft. ,Proof you can totally f*** something up and still survive. Not because of it, but in spite of it.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I equate the Thornton trade with the 2015 draft. ,Proof you can totally f*** something up and still survive. Not because of it, but in spite of it.

Exactly this. The Thornton trade was horrendous. We got lucky and made some good moves in the years following it that allowed us to win DESPITE the god awful trade.

Did Thornton need to go? Probably. But this team and their inability to critically think after one of their young players f***s up is infuriating. Every other trade takes them like a year of thinking to pull the trigger but got a young, offensively gifted center who was a being a shithead off the ice? First offer on our desk by 5pm wins.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

In a lot of ways they were extremely fortunate to have the two guys who would basically anchor their center ice position for the next decade and a half already in the system before Thornton was dealt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->