Mets sale saga (Steve Cohen purchases team)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

The owners of the New York Mets are in talks to sell up to 80% of the Major League Baseball team to billionaire Steve Cohen, who is already an investor in the club, according to person familiar with the matter.
The transaction would value the team at $2.6 billion, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. The Mets confirmed the talks in a statement.

Fred Wilpon, the team’s principal owner, will remain in his current role for at least five years, at which time Cohen will have a path to controlling the franchise, said the person. Jeff Wilpon, his son, will remain as the team’s chief operating officer for the five-year period, the person said.

Cohen, whose net worth is $9.2 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, will remain as chief executive of Point72 Asset Management, the person said. He didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I want the Wilpons to get out so much I'm even willing to deal with the five year changeover period.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
ELBkQZIXkAEZNTf

back-cover-3.jpg

Reactions: Roman Fell

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Wasn't MLB close to owning the mets themselves at one point in recent history could that be still on the table.

member 157595

And how the hell are the New York Mets worth $2.6 billy?

I guess if you think about it, the team is worth what someone is willing to pay. I understand what you're getting at, though; if the Mets' purchase price is over $2B I can't even imagine what the Steinbrenners would demand for the Yankees if they were interested in selling.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Arod and Jlo should just buy it themselves

They’re rich but not rich enough to buy the Mets themselves, even in these times the team will cost at least $2 billion if I had to guess

The crazy thing is Mets fans will probably welcome them, it’s gotten that bad with the Wilpons :laugh: Also maybe not the majority but there is some sentiment for ARod as he was/is a legit Mets fan

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Except the Wilpons don’t want to sell SNY either. So they want to sell but only if Jeff has a job till he can go on social security and can keep the network. Bold strategy, cotton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->