Steve Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad chemist

Jun 24, 2004
quebec city
What happen with him because he seems to be have difficulties to put good stats this .So was his draft year season a one year carrere like many people because it began to be quite criticalhis stats from www.lhjmq.qc.ca
POS RKI Player TM GP G A Pts PiM +/- PPG SHG WG TG
AD Bernier, Steve Mon 12 7 6 13 22 7 2 0 2 0 SH SH% FO WF% GH
47 14.9 11 36.40 32

It's not terrible but for a guy who will be 20 year guy in three month so i wish its just a bad sequense or his hockey that change :dunno:

X-SHARKIE

It's all consistancy with him IMO.

SOme nights he is invisible and makes bad decisions ect.

Other nights he dominates and puts in 4 points.

He has a 3 game weekend so it should be interesting....but yes...he hasn't lived up to the pre draft hype...but should be a solid pro.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i admit i don't know a ton about him...isn't he a pretty big guy, a kind of PF type? sometimes those guys just take longer to find their consistancy

leafaholix*

Haven't seen him play much, but can't see any hope for him if he doesn't improve his play by a lot. He should be dominating the QMJHL with his numbers and size, haven't heard much about him doing so.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Look at the way Maritime teams play, and then look at the way the Quebec based teams play. Yes i know im grouping them by region but there is a stark difference in play.

Leading scorers for the 5 Maritime teams:

Moncton -- Steve Bernier/Martins Karsums - 13 pts in 12 games
Bathurst -- Mathieu Roy - 15 pts in 14 games
PEI -- PA Bureau/Maxim Lapierre - 14 pts in 14 games
Cape Breton -- Steve Sixon - 10 pts in 16 games
Halifax -- Petr Vrana/Jim Sharrow/FP Guenette/Daniel Sparre - 11 pts in 14 games

Then take a look at some of the other teams. The days of 2 ppg QMJHL players is OVER, people need to start realizing this. Especially for Maritime teams who play tighter checking styles. Is it any coincidence that the Maritime teams always have the better goalies in the league? The teams down here concentrate more on defense.

Bernier is NOT a bust because he has 13 pts in 12 games. If you watched some of his games you would realize this. Also note that Adam Pineault has 12 pts on the same team. Is he a bust too??

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I think that he needs a bit stronger coaching and direction, he doesn't have a lot of determination and needs an NHL team to make him a more disciplined man. I think that he will likely spend time in the minors, and might be there for a long time, the minors will be where his career will be decided.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bernier knows in his mind right now that he would have probably made a push to play in San Jose. He doesnt have that fire that he had at 17. Cant really blame him. He is coasting and he is still dominant at times.

I think his coach has helped his game. His coach is gung-hoe about defense and Bernier has come a long way in that aspect since he was 16.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
bernier still a great guy, dont put up points every night but always seem to be the best player out there for The Cats... a little bit like Pouliot

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
When he was 17 and put up 100 points, he was just an offensive player with some defense abilities. Now he is a solid 2 way player. He is a much better player now then when he was 17. When he is on the ice is is the most noticable player out there. He plays an NHL style of game and I can't picture him spending more than one year in the AHL. He will be a 1st or 2nd line wingers that has potential to put up 60-70 points by his 3rd season of pro. There is no way this guy won't have a successful NHL career. If anyone has seen him play they will understand. Yes on paper he seems like nothing too special, but he looks like a man against boys out there. Before anyone says he is a bust, go travel and watch him play.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Bernier knows in his mind right now that he would have probably made a push to play in San Jose. He doesnt have that fire that he had at 17. Cant really blame him. He is coasting and he is still dominant at times.

I think his coach has helped his game. His coach is gung-hoe about defense and Bernier has come a long way in that aspect since he was 16.

I agree with everything you said here

He is still just 19 years old

He is still a very valuable asset to the sharks

plus he is playing with a good player in peinault, but also a little bit of a selfish one.

I would personally like to see Bernier play with Grahm and Karsums.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
A Bernier groupie on the Sharks forum quoted Bernier saying that he does not want to be playing junior hockey anymore, implying that he is "bored" in the Q. If this is indeed true (I hope not), I would want him traded unless he decides to check his attitude at the door.

How can he possibly have the nerve to say he is bored if 1) he has not been named to the QMJHL first all star team before 2) he has never finished in top 5 scoring 3) has never helped lead his team to a Memorial Cup 4) never finished as player of the year in the CHL & QMJHL (not even runner up). It's an absolutely pathetic excuse.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't expect him to continue at the point clip he's currently standing at. He's just too talented.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
Also note that Adam Pineault has 12 pts on the same team. Is he a bust too??
But la la ,there's a big difference.Pineault is in his first year and Bernier scored more 2 seasons ago then he is now.Many of your other points are valid,especially
about the maritime division being defensive oriented.My problem with Bernier
though is that he looks great some nights and other nights he looks like a guy
that just doesn't have the desire to play(at least it looks like that).In those games
he just doesn't seem to finish the play.I'm not sure he uses his size and stregth
as much as he should either.IMO he still has a chance at being a good player in the
NHL but there's some risk with him as a prospect and he may not reach what appears to be his potential.

X-SHARKIE

pei fan said:
But la la ,there's a big difference.Pineault is in his first year and Bernier scored more 2 seasons ago then he is now.Many of your other points are valid,especially
about the maritime division being defensive oriented.My problem with Bernier
though is that he looks great some nights and other nights he looks like a guy
that just doesn't have the desire to play(at least it looks like that).In those games
he just doesn't seem to finish the play.I'm not sure he uses his size and stregth
as much as he should either.IMO he still has a chance at being a good player in the
NHL but there's some risk with him as a prospect and he may not reach what appears to be his potential.

BINGO! Exactly my thoughts on him.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Baron Von Shark said:
A Bernier groupie on the Sharks forum quoted Bernier saying that he does not want to be playing junior hockey anymore, implying that he is "bored" in the Q. If this is indeed true (I hope not), I would want him traded unless he decides to check his attitude at the door.

How can he possibly have the nerve to say he is bored if 1) he has not been named to the QMJHL first all star team before 2) he has never finished in top 5 scoring 3) has never helped lead his team to a Memorial Cup 4) never finished as player of the year in the CHL & QMJHL (not even runner up). It's an absolutely pathetic excuse.

You dont think Jeff Carter is bored?? Should Philly trade him??

The 2003 draft crop is so stacked and those guys got caught in the middle of the lockout.

Bernier
Stewart
Carter
etc.

They are ALL BORED!! They are too good for the league.

Note: I think Carter is playing AHL, if he wasnt signed he would be back in the OHL (bored).

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
Bernier is a complete package. In my own opinion he has outgrown junior hockey and would benefit in playing with bigger players in a higher caliber league like the AHL. I just think his motivation is affected as he feels he has nothing left to learn in junior as last year he honed his defensive play and improve his skating. He has no weaknesses in his game and will be a very good power forward in the NHL. I still think that some teams will regret not having picked him or trading up for him (like San Jose did) before he went 16th in 2003. It will be interesting to see what happens ito guys like him, Carter and Stewart if they are not signed and go back into the 2005 draft (assuming there is one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad