Stephenson cut from junior squad, again

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Sabes, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Sabes

Sabes Registered User

Home Page:
  2. Resolute

Resolute Registered User

That kinda surprises me, though the decision seemed to be just like the backup goalie spot: Flip a coin and hope the result doesnt burn you.

3. canucksfan

canucksfan Registered User

Home Page:
    I thought he would stay. Sutter is familar with Stephenson so I thought he would go with who he's more familar with. Both of them played pretty bad in both games.

4. Greg7

Greg7 Registered User

I read today that the decision may really have been made by Hockey Canada. The article said Sutter wasn't happy with Pokoluk's play, which is why Stephenson was recalled in the first place, and it implied that Sutter wanted Stephenson on the team in place of Pokoluk after this second time around but Hockey Canada pressured him not to change the final roster. I can't really say how much of it was speculative and how much was based on fact, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Here's a link to part of the story if you want to read it.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=d277bc09-9b1b-4d00-b8dc-ce7919ecd7f4&k=74440

5. xander

xander Registered User

Home Page:
    I know I'm looking at this as a Cornell fan, but I think cutting Sasha would have been a really crappy thing to do. We have to remember that these are teenagers. The process is cut throat enough without making it downright cruel. I meen the guy made the team and had his name published with the final roster in national media outlets. How humiliating would it have been if he had been cut only a few days later? It would be one thing if he was a 27 year old pro, but he's only 19.
    It's Sutter's responcibility to pick a team at the conclusion of camp. It's not right for him to humiliate a kid because of he's not happy with the picks that he made.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.