Stephenson cut from junior squad, again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
That kinda surprises me, though the decision seemed to be just like the backup goalie spot: Flip a coin and hope the result doesnt burn you.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I read today that the decision may really have been made by Hockey Canada. The article said Sutter wasn't happy with Pokoluk's play, which is why Stephenson was recalled in the first place, and it implied that Sutter wanted Stephenson on the team in place of Pokoluk after this second time around but Hockey Canada pressured him not to change the final roster. I can't really say how much of it was speculative and how much was based on fact, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Here's a link to part of the story if you want to read it.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=d277bc09-9b1b-4d00-b8dc-ce7919ecd7f4&k=74440

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
I know I'm looking at this as a Cornell fan, but I think cutting Sasha would have been a really crappy thing to do. We have to remember that these are teenagers. The process is cut throat enough without making it downright cruel. I meen the guy made the team and had his name published with the final roster in national media outlets. How humiliating would it have been if he had been cut only a few days later? It would be one thing if he was a 27 year old pro, but he's only 19.
It's Sutter's responcibility to pick a team at the conclusion of camp. It's not right for him to humiliate a kid because of he's not happy with the picks that he made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->