Stephen Weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah.....

I've experienced absolutely 0 % of that. I get one email a week from them and on twitter only see posts relating to their articles.

I had to go searching for a discount code after my subscription expired and I wanted to renew.

This is only what the filter caught...and that's not even 10%.
Again...if you don't get those you probably have an active subscription. Cancel it and you'll get to know them...

Hot1fyW
Hot1fyW

Hot1fyW

Attachments

• Spam.JPG
    Spam.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 23

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Really weird man. I follow a bunch of the athletic writers on twitter and they don't really post much about subscriptions and I never see the ones I am not following so not sure how you are.

I do have a subscription, but I also have a bunch of other email addresses that for sure have been sold around and I have never seen anything from the athletic.

Lucky you. I'm not against paying for content but if they think they can convince me by flooding my inbox then they knocked on the wrong door...and to be honest I don't see why anyone would buy a subsciption if treated like me.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
As a free agent, [after being bought out by the Red Wings] Weiss received no contract offers, not even a tryout to battle for a roster spot at an NHL training camp. He became a father and has spent time focusing on his family, splitting time between South Florida and his hometown of Toronto.

Link : Stephen Weiss' emotional return to hockey as Florida... ($)

It's a pretty sad story.

That's crazy if true.

In the time after the buyout and not hearing where he went I just figured that after 3 seasons where he missed 117 of a possible 212 games with various injuries, he decided it wasn't worth more of them and took the $10M or so from his buyout and quietly retired to raise his family.

If it's true that he had no interest, there must have been some "baggage" his name was carrying among the fraternity of NHL front office folks.

All things considered, that last season he had in Detroit was pretty good. 25pts in 52 games, while getting a decent amount of PP time, but only slightly beating out Pulkkinen and Cleary in even strength time and playing wing on the 4th line with a revolving cast of lower end players. Brad Richards didn't do much better, while actually playing in the top 6 with decent players.

I thought Weiss at least deserved clean slate to see if he could turn it around with Blashill, but obviously that would've hampered their ability to bring in Green...

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Lucky you. I'm not against paying for content but if they think they can convince me by flooding my inbox then they knocked on the wrong door...and to be honest I don't see why anyone would buy a subsciption if treated like me.
You do understand its a program that sends these things out right. Its not a personal attack. Everyone gets spam, i dont hate bleacher report because tjey send me 4 articles a day. I filter it to a separate folder and move on. As far as twitter, thats because they pay for ad space and your interest history shows that you are the target demographic for the Athletic. So you see adds. Abd lastly im like 98% sure that there aren't undercover athletic spies on hfboards.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Boo! Another sleazy paywall that forces you to pay just so you can read about Weiss. Not sure why HFboards allows those links on this forum. It should be blacklisted!

I went to restaurant the other day, and the sleezy staff actually wanted me to PAY for my food! Can you believe these sleaze balls!!!! They should be blacklisted!
I sound ridiculous, right?

Nobody is forcing you to pay anything, they are providing quality content and they are charging for it. They are not tricking anyone or scamming anyone. You don't like it, don't pay for it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You do understand its a program that sends these things out right. Its not a personal attack. Everyone gets spam, i dont hate bleacher report because tjey send me 4 articles a day. I filter it to a separate folder and move on. As far as twitter, thats because they pay for ad space and your interest history shows that you are the target demographic for the Athletic. So you see adds. Abd lastly im like 98% sure that there aren't undercover athletic spies on hfboards.

A trustworthy company wouldn't flood inboxes with spam...and if, you'd be able to unsubscribe or the spam filter would at least detect their mails. You can't unsubscribe from their spam and you get it whether you subscribed or not and whether you blocked them or not. I don't think it's legal what they do.

Well, if they create fake twitter accs and get family/friends to write fake reviews to retweet them...you don't think they'd sign up on hfboards? They're here and probably not just Kurz and the others who use their real names.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
A trustworthy company wouldn't flood inboxes with spam...and if, you'd be able to unsubscribe or the spam filter would at least detect their mails. You can't unsubscribe from their spam and you get it whether you subscribed or not and whether you blocked them or not. I don't think it's legal what they do.

Well, if they create fake twitter accs and get family/friends to write fake reviews to retweet them...you don't think they'd sign up on hfboards? They're here and probably not just Kurz and the others who use their real names.

Create a filter for all of their emails. it wont go to a spam folder but an athletic folder. either way its out of sight, out of mind. and they are a young business so getting a huge social media presence is basically a requirement for survival. My question for you though is, do you read article on the Wings, or other sports teams regularly? if you do consider just using one of those 60% of or whatever deals. I think you would actually like the product. However, if they have already gone too far in your mind I get it. I promise you I am not an athletic bot. just look at when I signed up for this site for proof.

I understand that your extremely frustrated by seeing their ads all the time. it can be really annoying, and that sucks. have you considered and I know this seems a bit extreme, but have you considered creating a new email account. I did this couple years ago, and moved over only the contacts, and accounts that I considered really important (bills, funny enough my athletic subscription, ect..) and check that daily. I still use the older one, but only for generic sign up stuff. It takes a few minutes, but it was worth it for me in the end.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Create a filter for all of their emails. it wont go to a spam folder but an athletic folder. either way its out of sight, out of mind. and they are a young business so getting a huge social media presence is basically a requirement for survival. My question for you though is, do you read article on the Wings, or other sports teams regularly? if you do consider just using one of those 60% of or whatever deals. I think you would actually like the product. However, if they have already gone too far in your mind I get it. I promise you I am not an athletic bot. just look at when I signed up for this site for proof.

I understand that your extremely frustrated by seeing their ads all the time. it can be really annoying, and that sucks. have you considered and I know this seems a bit extreme, but have you considered creating a new email account. I did this couple years ago, and moved over only the contacts, and accounts that I considered really important (bills, funny enough my athletic subscription, ect..) and check that daily. I still use the older one, but only for generic sign up stuff. It takes a few minutes, but it was worth it for me in the end.

Oh, I have multiple mail addresses and I never used that one for regular daily communication or something. But it's a principle...never would such a dubious company get a single cent from me. At the very least you gotta comply with the law. What they do is way past aggressive marketing and totally illegal. I want nothing to do with them and the sooner they're gone, the better.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I went to restaurant the other day, and the sleezy staff actually wanted me to PAY for my food! Can you believe these sleaze balls!!!! They should be blacklisted!

Nobody is forcing you to pay anything, they are providing quality content and they are charging for it. They are not tricking anyone or scamming anyone. You don't like it, don't pay for it.
Then there's the added layer of irony of complaining about a lack of a feature on a free site.

(In the interest of full disclosure I've caught myself about to complain about something here and then remembered I hadn't donated to the site)

Last edited:
Reactions: kliq

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Oh, I have multiple mail addresses and I never used that one for regular daily communication or something. But it's a principle...never would such a dubious company get a single cent from me. At the very least you gotta comply with the law. What they do is way past aggressive marketing and totally illegal. I want nothing to do with them and the sooner they're gone, the better.
Dude, if the unsub link isn't working just email them and ask to blacklist your address. This is clearly not a common problem, I closed my account last year and haven't heard anything from them since. The Athletic isn't some company who's business depends on spamming, they will unsub you if you just ask...

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Yeah.....

I've experienced absolutely 0 % of that. I get one email a week from them and on twitter only see posts relating to their articles.

I had to go searching for a discount code after my subscription expired and I wanted to renew.
None of us have experienced that. I love my subscription, and every single person that I know enjoys the high quality content, just like this article on Weiss!

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
If it's true that he had no interest, there must have been some "baggage" his name was carrying among the fraternity of NHL front office folks.

All things considered, that last season he had in Detroit was pretty good. 25pts in 52 games...

That's probably the answer. In the video, Roberts explains that he created his program because he almost had to retire in the 90s because of injuries. He added a decade and played until his early 40s with his training and diet. He raved about Weiss in the video, and I believe this was just prior to him signing with the Wings.

After a long list of injuries through 2 decades in the military (to include head trauma, destroyed wrist, etc.), I've adopted a new training/nutrition program (similar to Roberts deal), and I feel like I'm better on the ice now at 39 than I was in my early 30s. It's not like I just started working out either, I was always in the top 3% for PT in the military.

It's never cool when someone takes it from you... it's much less difficult when losing it to age or injury... at least IMO. Hopefully nobody conspired to take it from Weiss.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShelbyZ

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
not everything is free in life. just an FYI, the athletic is well worth the subscription imo

It took a long time to get an update on where this guy has been!

Also, agreed that The Athletic is great. Not sure what @Hinterland is referring to, I haven't experienced any of that either.

I don't understand why people are so resistant to paying for content. It's <$50 for a one-year membership. That's nothing.

I go to a restaurant to take care of my hunger and make me full. It's a pleasant experience and I know/expect when I leave the restaurant that my hunger is satisfied.

In this very thread, the Weiss mystery isn't solved. The Athletic subs know nothing more than I already know (and I didn't pay them a dime!). I can go spend that money on food and get a full tummy and feel satisfied, you Athletic subs are still empty.

If I'm paying, it needs to solve a problem or a mystery that either entertains me or makes my life better. Based on what I am reading from Athletic subs, that website does neither (or atleast with this article...what are you paying for??). I think that is a foolish way to spend money. And it's annoying to be part of this message forum that incomplete /paywall content is allowed to be posted.... unless HFboards is getting paid by the The Athletic for advertising. Hopefully this free message forum is making money off The Athletic being posted here somehow! HFboards should blacklist the website and make The Athletic pay either a monthly subscription or charge per link to be allowed here... in return The Athletic can pass those added costs down to their Subscribers. Nothing is free in life, ey? All the while 'The Athletic' get free advertising on this free message board. Kind of ironic.

I am glad I have an extra $50 in my pocket for a 5-star steak dinner this weekend while basically knowing the same general information as you subscribers... as the Weiss saga continues...

Last edited:
Reactions: AHall88

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I go to a restaurant to take care of my hunger and make me full. It's a pleasant experience and I know/expect when I leave the restaurant that my hunger is satisfied.

In this very thread, the Weiss mystery isn't solved. The Athletic subs know nothing more than I already know (and I didn't pay them a dime!). I can go spend that money on food and get a full tummy and feel satisfied, you Athletic subs are still empty.

If I'm paying, it needs to solve a problem or a mystery that either entertains me or makes my life better. Based on what I am reading from Athletic subs, that website does neither (or atleast with this article...what are you paying for??). I think that is a foolish way to spend money. And it's annoying to be part of this message forum that incomplete /paywall content is allowed to be posted.... unless HFboards is getting paid by the The Athletic for advertising. Hopefully this free message forum is making money off The Athletic being posted here somehow! HFboards should blacklist the website and make The Athletic pay either a monthly subscription or charge per link to be allowed here... in return The Athletic can pass those added costs down to their Subscribers. Nothing is free in life, ey? All the while 'The Athletic' get free advertising on this free message board. Kind of ironic.

I am glad I have an extra $50 in my pocket for a 5-star steak dinner this weekend while basically knowing the same general information as you subscribers... as the Weiss saga continues...

When you subscribe to a website like the Athletic, you are not paying to "solve a problem or a mystery", you are paying to view their content. Whether the content is "solving problems", an opinion piece, rumors, or even them talking about what they did last weekend, its their right to sell it, if people are willing to pay for it.

I am not faulting you for a second because you don't want to subscribe, you have that right. I am criticizing you for wanting them "blacklisted" for using a subscription model that is very common practice in 2019. Its simple, you don't like it, don't pay for it.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013

Do you genuinely not know how advertisements work? The Athletic costs money because it has no advertisements. HFBoards is free because it has ads all over the place. Have you ever heard of the saying "if something is free, you're the product"? Turn off your ad-blocker on this site (if you even use one) then compare it to The Athletic's site. Before the site overhaul this place was borderline unusable at times on mobile because the ads were so annoying and intrusive.

Also: Why The Athletic has a paywall

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
When you subscribe to a website like the Athletic, you are not paying to "solve a problem or a mystery", you are paying to view their content. Whether the content is "solving problems", an opinion piece, rumors, or even them talking about what they did last weekend, its their right to sell it, if people are willing to pay for it.

I am not faulting you for a second because you don't want to subscribe, you have that right. I am criticizing you for wanting them "blacklisted" for using a subscription model that is very common practice in 2019. Its simple, you don't like it, don't pay for it.

It's just kind of ironic they get free publicity at free message forums to gather up paid memberships from those forums. If I'm HFboards, I'm looking for a way to "get mine" from these paid sites... which you said paid content is successful common practice of 2019.

"not everything is free in life. just an FYI,". --- Great, lets find a way for HFboards to capitalize on those paid subscription sites like The Athletic sponsorships so HFboards can continue to keep this message forum free for its members! Sponsorships vs paid subscribers, HFboards survives off sponsorships and ads, so The Athletic needs to pay up! /"not everything is free in life. just an FYI"

The Athletic can then pass those added costs down to its subscribers... because, as you said, subscribers are happy to pay it! Well let them pay it then.

Do you genuinely not know how advertisements work? The Athletic costs money because it has no advertisements. HFBoards is free because it has ads all over the place. Have you ever heard of the saying "if something is free, you're the product"? Turn off your ad-blocker on this site (if you even use one) then compare it to The Athletic's site. Before the site overhaul this place was borderline unusable at times on mobile because the ads were so annoying and intrusive.

Also: Why The Athletic has a paywall

SEE ABOVE. The paid Athletic gets free plugs on a website that depends on sponsorships and ads. The Athletic needs to pay up! They are profiting off free user advertising... and I was told "nothing in life is free!"

And you can't have it both ways. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

Last edited:

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
It took a long time to get an update on where this guy has been!

Also, agreed that The Athletic is great. Not sure what @Hinterland is referring to, I haven't experienced any of that either.

I don't understand why people are so resistant to paying for content. It's <$50 for a one-year membership. That's nothing.

They recently offered a year for $23.95. that's when I signed up.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Totally agree. I pay $2/month and it's more than worth it just for the hockey content alone.

That's about what I pay for the Watch AHL stream, and I get to watch it to form my opinion rather than pay to read other peoples' opinion.

And hands down, the best money I have ever spent on hockey is my re-occurring (grandfathered) NHL.tv subscription at $99/month I think. Like the AHL stream, I get to watch every NHL game which allows me to form my own opinions rather than reading someone else's opinion.

Oh and how Sweet the Boos were at the Isles tonight against Tavaras, and the "a-hole" chants from the crowd was deafening. Love my NHL subscription!

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
The Weiss article is only relevant because it was posted the same day this topic was brought up.

I can't count how many article on the athletic have dug deep and used insider knowledge to enlighten its readers to different topics. Semi recently the article about the Parise Suter saga with Minnesota was fascinating.

I'm a person who everyday reads at least 3 or 4 articles about each of the Detroit sports teams, then listens to 97.1 for about an hour or so then switches to ESPN 96.1 for a few hours at work. I get a high level of satisfaction from reading, and listening to different opinions on sports. The Athletic is the only form of media that I have to pay for (specifically) for sports info, and insights. I am more than happy to pay for it yearly, because I know what I'm going to get.

For all the complaints I've read on these boards about Helen st. James, and the other local reporters, who people consider shills for the teams, and don't asks the real questions. I'm glad we finally have an option to chose a group of writers who don't back down to the teams.

lastly if I have the option of getting a years worth of quality reading/listening, or an expensive meal its an easy choice to choose the year. Shoot last Tuesday I went to an expensive dinner for my anniversary, and it was great. However, after 5 or 6 hours of eating that meal I was hungry again. so after about a day it actually made no difference if I had chose to eat out at a cheaper place or stick to the expensive one. <food rant over>

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's just kind of ironic they get free publicity at free message forums to gather up paid memberships from those forums. If I'm HFboards, I'm looking for a way to "get mine" from these paid sites... which you said paid content is successful common practice of 2019.

"not everything is free in life. just an FYI,". --- Great, lets find a way for HFboards to capitalize on those paid subscription sites like The Athletic sponsorships so HFboards can continue to keep this message forum free for its members! Sponsorships vs paid subscribers, HFboards survives off sponsorships and ads, so The Athletic needs to pay up! /"not everything is free in life. just an FYI"

The Athletic can then pass those added costs down to its subscribers... because, as you said, subscribers are happy to pay it! Well let them pay it then.

SEE ABOVE. The paid Athletic gets free plugs on a website that depends on sponsorships and ads. The Athletic needs to pay up! They are profiting off free user advertising... and I was told "nothing in life is free!"

And you can't have it both ways. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

I couldn't agree with this more. Why should their writers be allowed to create a free hfboards account just to post their articles here?
Also, did you ever see them actually pay for ads? All they do is buy data to flood people's mailboxes...don't think that costs them much. Otherwise what they do is to trick people into a subsciptions with perma sales and those permanently retweeted fake reviews that don't cost them a penny. If we have to pay for everything...why don't they?

I don't know about their financials...whether they're desperate or just greedy. What I know is that what they do is illegal and I hope somebody takes action. Won't be me anytime soon since I'm just a poor student but seriously...enough is enough. They lost their credibility long ago. At this point, I wouldn't even read their stuff for free. Comply with the law and get a trustworthy marketing strategy or get lost.

They're not the only company who charges readers for hockey content...but they're the only one with such illegal and dubious marketing methods. Did you ever see any other beat writers retweet fake reviews on twitter? I never did...it all started with those modern age bandids of The Athletics...

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The Weiss article is only relevant because it was posted the same day this topic was brought up.

I can't count how many article on the athletic have dug deep and used insider knowledge to enlighten its readers to different topics. Semi recently the article about the Parise Suter saga with Minnesota was fascinating.

I'm a person who everyday reads at least 3 or 4 articles about each of the Detroit sports teams, then listens to 97.1 for about an hour or so then switches to ESPN 96.1 for a few hours at work. I get a high level of satisfaction from reading, and listening to different opinions on sports. The Athletic is the only form of media that I have to pay for (specifically) for sports info, and insights. I am more than happy to pay for it yearly, because I know what I'm going to get.

For all the complaints I've read on these boards about Helen st. James, and the other local reporters, who people consider shills for the teams, and don't asks the real questions. I'm glad we finally have an option to chose a group of writers who don't back down to the teams.

lastly if I have the option of getting a years worth of quality reading/listening, or an expensive meal its an easy choice to choose the year. Shoot last Tuesday I went to an expensive dinner for my anniversary, and it was great. However, after 5 or 6 hours of eating that meal I was hungry again. so after about a day it actually made no difference if I had chose to eat out at a cheaper place or stick to the expensive one. <food rant over>

Anyone know what kind of these really hard-ball questions The Athletic continuously asks Ken Holland vs what's available on media outlets like Freep (for example)?

Did they drill him down and get some really juicy "gotcha" moments that Helen St. James refuses to do?

I'm doubtful, but if they did corner Ken Holland down and dug out all those skeleton in closet and found those old bones of past players... mmmmm maybe they do offer something different and worthy.

AS for the Suter and Parise thing, that's something we all already knew. They are expecting people to pay for putting a spin (re-write) on an old story. Maybe they added some fresh mustard to it... from everything I saw, nothing was written than us non-subscribers didn't already know.
Riveting stuff -- here take my money! :rollseyes

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

hmm. so you're mad you can't read the athletic content but at the same time insist they offer nothing a free site doesn't provide. if that's the case, I don't see why you are so upset you can't read their articles :laugh:

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I couldn't agree with this more. Why should their writers be allowed to create a free hfboards account just to post their articles here?
Also, did you ever see them actually pay for ads? All they do is buy data to flood people's mailboxes...don't think that costs them much. Otherwise what they do is to trick people into a subsciptions with perma sales and those permanently retweeted fake reviews that don't cost them a penny. If we have to pay for everything...why don't they?

I don't know about their financials...whether they're desperate or just greedy. What I know is that what they do is illegal and I hope somebody takes action. Won't be me anytime soon since I'm just a poor student but seriously...enough is enough. They lost their credibility long ago. At this point, I wouldn't even read their stuff for free. Comply with the law and get a trustworthy marketing strategy or get lost.

They're not the only company who charges readers for hockey content...but they're the only one with such illegal and dubious marketing methods. Did you ever see any other beat writers retweet fake reviews on twitter? I never did...it all started with those modern age bandids of The Athletics...

Provide proof that this is what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad