stephen weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
great news... please wings

Spector's Hockey ‏@SpectorsHockey 53m
Elliotte Friedman also reports #Panthers & Stephen Weiss still working on deal. #Stars, #MapleLeafs & #RedWings interested in Weiss

what do you think

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So why are they looking at this guy? From what I can see he's a #2/3 center.

Are they that sure that Helm isn't going to come back? Seems like that's what it's saying.

Aug 6, 2012

Are they that sure that Helm isn't going to come back? Seems like that's what it's saying.

He's a #2 center who is good in all three zones and wins faceoffs (don't know about now since he had wrist surgery). It would allow Pavs and Z to play together all year or you could roll three scoring lines. He's the only FA I want besides Stalberg and I hope the Wings can land him.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
great news... please wings

Spector's Hockey ‏@SpectorsHockey 53m
Elliotte Friedman also reports #Panthers & Stephen Weiss still working on deal. #Stars, #MapleLeafs & #RedWings interested in Weiss

what do you think

Yeah on hotstove tonight he reported that Dallas, Detroit, and Toronto all contacted Florida in regards to his rights.

He'd probably be a good replacement for Fil.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He's a #2 center who is good in all three zones and wins faceoffs (don't know about now since he had wrist surgery). It would allow Pavs and Z to play together all year or you could roll three scoring lines. He's the only FA I want besides Stalberg and I hope the Wings can land him.

I'd rather run 4 scoring lines :P

D-Brunner-Mule

Z-Nyquist-Cleary/Bert/Sammy

Weiss-Tatar-Abby

Andersson-Miller-Eaves-(Tootoo?)

I think, imo, Jurco can be brought up too. Could move Tatar up then, and replace someone on the win of the bottom 6 with Jurco. Kids got size, hands, speed, shot.

Seriously, all four of those lines would be threatening. The top9 would be very dangerous, but the fourth line would be pretty good too. Miller and Eaves seem to find ways to pot a few goals every now and again. Hell, if Helm gets healthy, have him center the fourth line that just gives us an even stronger 4 lines.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If we give him some length on the contract, it gives us a buffer for Datsyuk's departure and Jarnkrok's (hopeful) arrival in the top 6 C department.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Id like this signing. Having, three top 6 centers gives us plenty of options and incredible depth. Id offer Eaves/Emmerton + 3rd/4th round pick. for the rights to Weiss.

There is denying this team could use a quality top 6 fwd. Weiss has track record of play a 3 zone game and consistently score 60 points. With opportunities with Datsyuk, Zeus, Nyquist, he could get 25+ goals.

Id test drive him on the wing during pre-season:

Brunner - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Weiss - Zeus - Franzen
Gus - Helm - Bertuzzi
Tatar - Andersson - Cleary

That line up boasts a lot of offense with out sacrificing defensive Responsibility. Tootoo would get ice time against the Leafs, Bruins, etc.

If Weiss isnt working out on the wing we revert him to C:

Zeus - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen
Tatar - Helm - Brunner
Cleary/Tootoo - Andersson - Bertuzzi

** I would certainly be interested in acquiring one of Campbell, Kulikov, Gudbranson in a package deal if any interest exists in Florida

Last edited:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I suppose Weiss would be a Filppula replacement. As long as they make room for the youth I don't mind. Perhaps something like this:

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
Weiss - Zetterberg - Brunner
Abdelkader - Helm - Tatar
Miller - Andersson - Eaves
Emmerton/Bertuzzi

We need to buy out Samuelsson and let Cleary walk (I hope). I still don't like such depth tbh. But I hope guys like Nyquist and Tatar step up in a big way and I hope Helm can return to his full form.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
He's a Canadian Filppula pretty much. So no surprise Holland would be interested. He is more consistent tho but he sucked this year.

I'd take him.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I've been pumping Weiss' tires for a few weeks now. To me he makes the most sense of all the UFA options. Weiss is an improvement over Emmerton and Andersson, and if we don't bring Filppula back, Weiss replaces him. This gives us center depth of Dats-Z-Weiss-Helm; Dats-Weiss-Helm-Andersson. I think Weiss will flourish here.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Weiss is more of a 1B guy than anything, he's an excellent 2nd line player. Good in all three zones, and he's a good teammate. When healthy, he's a 55-60 point guy. I think he'd be a great fit with the Wings, HUGE upgrade on Flip.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Weiss is more of a 1B guy than anything, he's an excellent 2nd line player. Good in all three zones, and he's a good teammate. When healthy, he's a 55-60 point guy. I think he'd be a great fit with the Wings, HUGE upgrade on Flip.

One common comment about Weiss is him not playing the same in the wake of his wrist injury, what's your take on that?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wouldn't mind...

Filppula's rights
for
Weiss's rights

Then we sign Weiss for 4 million and Florida signs Filppula for 5 million.

And we got the better player cheaper. :nod:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
One common comment about Weiss is him not playing the same in the wake of his wrist injury, what's your take on that?

I think he'll be fine with a full offseason to rest. He was never much of a shooter even prior to the wrist injury, so I don't think it will have a large impact on his overall game. At worst, Weiss is a 45 point two-way center.

It really depends on the price. At $4.5M, it'll be a very good singing, or even two years, $10M.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It really looks that Red Wings organization has been really interested of Weiss for a long time, because also Jim Nill is on the mix.

Holland is interested, Jim Nill is interested, and Toronto is interested. I'm pretty sure, because Weiss has NTC, he blocks the trade to Toronto to avoid the media hell. And there's been some reports that he'd like to move nearer Ontario. That's when Nill loses this game.

Then only Wings are left...

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It really looks that Red Wings organization has been really interested of Weiss for a long time, because also Jim Nill is on the mix.

Holland is interested, Jim Nill is interested, and Toronto is interested. I'm pretty sure, because Weiss has NTC, he blocks the trade to Toronto to avoid the media hell. And there's been some reports that he'd like to move nearer Ontario. That's when Nill loses this game.

Then only Wings are left...

Hopefully a trade can be arranged followed by a 2-3 year contract.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Mule
Nyquist-Weiss-Bertuzzi
Tatar-Helm-Brunner
Miller-Andersson-Tootoo/Eaves

No more Cleary, Sammy, or Emmerton. As for Filppula, I'll honestly support him anywhere he goes.

I'd do Filppula's rights + Emmerton for Weiss' Rights.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He knows our hoods from the OHL-years at Plymouth Whalers... too bad he doesn't have a Detroit-based girlfriend. :) Don't know does he have a GF at all at the moment.

Weiss is from Toronto, but, many Canadians will know that there's just too much extra stuff going on for a star player in that kind of crazy hockey market, so they avoid those places like a plague. It's almost funny how Toronto has become European-American team. Canadians don't want to join that media hell and fan hell. Lots of great fans, but also too much idiots.

So perfect place would be Detroit. In the border of Ontario, but still away from there. :nod:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->