Game Analysis: Stephen Valiquette

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I either love or despise his MSGN analysis. Absolutely no in between.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
This. I feel like he misses quite often on skater analysis while his goaltending analysis seemingly is very solid most of the time. I just think his analysis is very goaltending-biased which is annoying.

It is but if you know what makes it hard/easy on a goalie then you know what players should do/not do.
I think he uses analytics very well and what he comes up with is much better than corsi or fenwick.
I think the Rangers should higher him.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
He does it because Al can just dish it right back to anyone. Al don't give no ****s.

I don't know about that. Last time Steve made fun of Al's lack of hair, Al got all quiet and didn't know what to say. Lot's of inner turmoil....no comeback dished out. I think Steve should leave Al alone, lol.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It is but if you know what makes it hard/easy on a goalie then you know what players should do/not do.
I think he uses analytics very well and what he comes up with is much better than corsi or fenwick.
I think the Rangers should higher him.

Except the audience he's speaking to largely doesn't know "what players should do/not do". Hence why it's bad analysis when he goes that route.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don't know about that. Last time Steve made fun of Al's lack of hair, Al got all quiet and didn't know what to say. Lot's of inner turmoil....no comeback dished out. I think Steve should leave Al alone, lol.

I think that was Al's way of making a comeback. Just staring at the camera. Empty. Void.[sup][sup]Just like his hairline[/sup][/sup]

Giving a "Did you hear what this **** just said?" look to the audience.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
He's been a pleasant surprise. I enjoy watching his in game and post game analysis

edit: especially when he pissed Al off about being bald hah too good

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think he's very, very intelligent but he has biases that get in the way.

Let's not pretend he wouldn't defend Hank if Hank gave up 13 goals on 12 shots.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As far as this video goes, I think he's spot on.

I've always hated the "BLOCK ALL DA SHOTS" mentality and I've always said that the number of shots you block has no inherent value.

Still, if you're blocking a shot that is very high percentage for the shooter and very low percentage for the goalie, then go for it. If not, get out of the way. Also don't throw yourself at the shot (see: breakdance - not mentioning any names) so that the pass and deke become options. Stay in an upright position.

I think that's pretty much what Vally is going for here.

He also brings up an excellent point that it's not necessarily the D's fault. You risk being called "soft" by some caveman coach and having a seat if you don't sell the **** out.

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Valiquette is good. I agree with what he is saying from his goalie centric point of view.

Yet he seems to not want to look at all into why the Rangers D have so much trouble moving the puck. Why not show how those plays broke down from ten or twenty seconds ago, why the opposing team is in those positions to begin with?

However with what he did show, the first goal in this segment, assuming that is man to man D, Jooris I think, is not covering his man, the one Vally says the pass is going to. And Staal, his man, the eventual goal scorer, beats him to the net front after the play breaks down.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The only real problem I have with Valiquette is that he's just as much a stuffed shirt as anyone else on MSG. If the Rangers get outshot 46-2 he'd find a way to spin off what quality looks the Rangers got and how they were clearly the better team.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
The only real problem I have with Valiquette is that he's just as much a stuffed shirt as anyone else on MSG. If the Rangers get outshot 46-2 he'd find a way to spin off what quality looks the Rangers got and how they were clearly the better team.

they have to put a good spin on it. its their job. would you like to get blown out then have to listen to how extremely terrible they were. they can point out a couple of flaws but their job is to promote the team and find the good in ****** games

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
John G is one of the best between the benches. Really sharp guy too, I remember debating with him after a game a few years ago about the Nash trade.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I can understand Al, but why don't people like Giannone?

His play by play is terrible. he tries to hard. His play-byplay voice is too loud and strained. His voice is so annoying.

A few years ago during some charity game during the introductions he skates out loses his balance and takes a header on the ice. I howled with laughter when he bounced his head of the ice like a basketball. I can watch that over and over again.

He is better doing interviews or between the bench stuff.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
His play by play is terrible. he tries to hard. His play-byplay voice is too loud and strained. His voice is so annoying.

A few years ago during some charity game during the introductions he skates out loses his balance and takes a header on the ice. I howled with laughter when he bounced his head of the ice like a basketball. I can watch that over and over again.

He is better doing interviews or between the bench stuff.

Yeah, his play-by-play is poor, but he's mostly a between the benches guy. He only covers for Sam when Sam has to cover NFL games.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

He's not a journalist. I don't know why he should be expected to provide unbiased commentary.

The only person I expect a lack of bias from is the PBP guy because accuracy is the most important thing for him. Everyone else is there to provide color and doing that in a successful way means catering to the audience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad