Stephen Hawking Dead at 76

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
He was dealt a horrendous hand and in spite of that he had a downright amazing run and helped unlock the mysteries of reality for all mankind. We as a species are indebted to him and are worse without him.

RIP.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I have such a tremendous amount of respect for Mr. Hawking. He's near my top of the list of people I'd like to sit down and chat with. He's such an incredible story of determination and perseverance.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
RIP. Much to be said about his contributions to science, so I'll just post Simpsons and Futurama videos of him instead.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I have such a tremendous amount of respect for Mr. Hawking. He's near my top of the list of people I'd like to sit down and chat with. He's such an incredible story of determination and perseverance.
Yep. When you think about it, it's absolutely incredible he lived as long as he did and gave so much to the world. I think the entire world in general should consider itself lucky we got to have him around as long as we did.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Obviously no one here would know this, but I have a degree in physics.

On my 12th birthday my grandmother gave me "A Brief History of time." Hawking was incredibly influential to me. So for me, this is somehow deeply personal.

Reactions: davemess

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I don't know if I watched a video or read an article about it recently but considering Hawking is known for his study of black holes, you might be interested in this:

EHT Status Update, December 15 2017

Essentially it's an experiment designed to get a picture of a black hole (or the area around it of course, hence the name).

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
Yep. When you think about it, it's absolutely incredible he lived as long as he did and gave so much to the world. I think the entire world in general should consider itself lucky we got to have him around as long as we did.

I don't think anyone has ever lived as long as Professor Hawking did with ALS. I remember watching him on PBS back in the late 70's early 80's and he would talk through an interpreter. It was fascinating stuff..

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Wonder why he didn't dedicate that remarkable mind to research a cure for his own disease.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Stephen Hawking's final theory could prove the existence of the multiverse | CBC Radio

Pretty damn amazing.

Weeks before he died, renowned physicist Stephen Hawking finished laying out the groundwork on a theory he hoped would prove the existence of other universes outside our own.
The paper, which has not yet been published or peer reviewed, lays out the mathematics needed to build a space probe capable of detecting evidence of parallel universes — also known as the multiverse.
"Think of it as many universes. So not just many solar systems, but really an ensemble of separate worlds," Thomas Hertog, a Belgian physicist who co-wrote the paper with Hawking, told As It Happens host Carol Off.

"Some of these universes are completely empty, and others are full of black holes, and yet others have stars and galaxies and life."
The concept of the multiverse stems from the big bang theory — Albert Einstein's once controversial, but now widely accepted, idea that the universe instantaneously expanded from a tiny point called a singularity.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Check out the sadistic smile on the cretin

That's disgusting and it's not christian, it's anti-christian in it's presentation of emotion and content.

I'm Christian and the reality of Hell (I don't want to debate it's existence in this instance if it's all the same.) is, when properly apprehended as can be apprehended, an unimaginable place and a place no properly formed Christian would wish any human being to go to. Not a single person, irrespective of the crime, irrespective of the worldview the person leaned towards. That says nothing about the need for justice and nothing about endorsing the disparate worldview, and everything about the nature and reality of Hell and it's incomprehensible composition.

"He just found out today, the hard way."

I'm left almost speechless at the barbarity of that (apparently wishful!!!???) comment. So much so that I question this person's motives and claims as a christian. Were I to apologize for this person's comments, I don't know if I would be apologizing for an actual christian given how uninformed and uncharitable his comments are.

What a Christian should say is something to the effect,

"May God have mercy on his soul. Even though he professed his position consistently throughout his life, certainly he was a loving man and father and husband and created in the image of God.

And in his final moments, I hope that a part of his brilliant mind at least thought out in desperate possibility, 'What if? Lord, please...' into which, God who IS Love Itself and Mercy Itself, surely would have ran to him as any loving father would run to their child.

I believe that since all good things come from God, including the love Stephen Hawking had for his family, friends and the talents God gave him, that his love willed to exist past the existence he believed he could measure into one perhaps he knew but never publicly proclaimed that he couldn't measure. If for any other reason than the patently apparent one in which his body carried a cross few imagine and even fewer can comprehend. Mindful that what's impossible for man, is possible for God. So I pray that his suffering ended here and that in God's Love and Mercy, that his presence in the Lord is one where he's able to stand in it. Amen."

That doesn't dispense with the Christian commission to spread the Gospel into the world and to apprise listeners and remind believers of the reality of Hell. But what a statement like that does is provide appropriate context to the consistency of Christian hope and love for everyone, however crooked and bent they may be in body (and/or soul) in this world, that they are made in God's image and destined for unimaginable joy in the next world.

Hell is the absolute mirror of Heaven. And there is no Christian love in expressing want for any person to end up there. It's the opposite. Christian love is this above everything else: "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." (Galatians 5:6b.).

And that means, always and even when the person has passed on. That we believe in God's unimaginable goodness and mercy and the hope against hope that Stephen Hawking with his last thought even, has been made whole and is experiencing unimaginable joy and love and laughter.

If this person understands the near and proximate reality of Hell, he couldn't possibly smile as he does. My suspicion is, he's not smiling because he understands the reality of Hell. He's smiling because he has a sadistic streak yet unresolved and perhaps because he's attempting to convince himself that he's saved simply because he believes (without the heart's ascent apparently) in God. And the newsflash is: "Even the demons believe that--and shudder." (James 2:19b)

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
Wonder why he didn't dedicate that remarkable mind to research a cure for his own disease.

IIRC he was a graduate student in Physics when he found out. In order to get enough knowledge to begin to treat his disease, he'd would have had to start his entire college and post-graduate degrees over again. The switch from physics to applied biology is very difficult (one uses different problem methods) and even someone as smart as Hawking might not have been able to do it. I apologize if your question was rhetorical.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
IIRC he was a graduate student in Physics when he found out. In order to get enough knowledge to begin to treat his disease, he'd would have had to start his entire college and post-graduate degrees over again. The switch from physics to applied biology is very difficult (one uses different problem methods) and even someone as smart as Hawking might not have been able to do it. I apologize if your question was rhetorical.
It wasn't,he was a generational genius that I am sure could have spent his energy and life in a different direction. He spent 50 more years after graduating,studying physics. Personally,I think he should have studied ALS.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
It wasn't,he was a generational genius that I am sure could have spent his energy and life in a different direction. He spent 50 more years after graduating,studying physics. Personally,I think he should have studied ALS.

Why, exactly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad