Stephen Gionta signs

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not a problem with this per se but It's strange they couldn't accommodate Kovar yet found room for Gionta, whose upside is zilch. A model pro, 4th line guy and Pk'er but surely not better than Kovar. He won't see much time with the Isles and has done okay for us the past two years so it doesn't matter much but it is a little weird
Is it possible that Kovar didn’t like North America and just wanted to go back home? Does anyone even acknowledge that could be a possibility?

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
No one on this board knows what happened with Kovar exactly. A lot of variables to consider. Not sure why some are so passionate about this topic.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Is it possible that Kovar didn’t like North America and just wanted to go back home? Does anyone even acknowledge that could be a possibility?

Its more possible he's sitting with his comrades drinking beer with a big smile on his face and waving around a wad of cash saying, "See, those stupid Americans!"

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Its more possible he's sitting with his comrades drinking beer with a big smile on his face and waving around a wad of cash saying, "See, those stupid Americans!"

I thought if they mutually terminate he only gets paid the amount of time elapsed in the NHL season when terminated. So works out to like a weeks pay

Reactions: IODCPiper

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Because people in Kovar's situation handcuff the team. It's an NHL regular or nothing -- that's pretty difficult for a player who has to transition from a completely different style of play and from another country. He needs 'developing' and it's known he won't go to the league created for development. So the other option is signing him and keeping him in the press box for the majority of the year and then expecting him to perform in spot duty. That isn't an equal situation to developing a player who's in it for the long haul. And it's probably why outside of guys like Panarin, we don't see a lot of these KHL transitions. It doesn't leave many options for the team.

Yes, there will be times this year that we will be thin at C due to injuries, but that doesn't necessarily change the decision at the point in time after training camp. With finite roster spots, it's revisionist to say we keep a spare transitioning center on our team for the unknown timing of when we could be thin at center. Which, to point out, isn't even right now since it looks like Cizikas will probably only miss one game.

Gionta is in there to do literally nothing else but not **** up. I don't want any of our prospects in that spot. I'd rather a guy who grabs his lunch pail, puts in effort, follows orders, and then punches out. When Bellows cracks the line up, I want him pushing play and gaining confidence to take risks.

Well said. I also think this is the mentality of many professional coaches. They want some certainty with their lineup.... Vets who will give consistent effort and execution to better manage/minimize the risks taken by the more talented offensive players in the lineup.

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
Marco Dano was released by Jets, wouldn't he be a good pickup to stop center for a while. At least he's young and not dragging a plow.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Marco Dano was released by Jets, wouldn't he be a good pickup to stop center for a while. At least he's young and not dragging a plow.
Dano skates well and can’t score to save his life.

Wait, I just described Shane Prince.

Reactions: SteveH124

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Picking a guy off waivers means you'll have to have them on your roster for at least a month. I don't see the Isles making a claim as they are bit congested to start with. Snow would definitely claim him as he used to with a 1st round busts

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I like Dano and thought he would have definitely been a good pickup, still has some upside. Unfortunately looks like Colorado picked him up.
It wasn't too long ago that Marko Dano was traded for a stud like Brandon Saad.....wait a minute....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->