Waived: Stephane Da Costa (update: he cleared waivers)

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I'll second Nyquil in saying that Zibby should get the call as the best available player. Maybe he earns his top 6 ice time with some bottom 6 ice time as opposed to Bingo time.

I'd actually be alright with that too.

I am actually fine having Zibby stay down, or come up.

If I had a choice, I'd bring him up, put him in the bottom six, and if he succeeds - great. If not, back to Bingo. No harm doing that, IMO. He gets the chance to prove himself, and work his way up. And he should know if he cannot... he gets sent back.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I surely hope nobody is really suprised. The guy was terrible, he has the makeup of a career AHL'er or European professional hockey player.

Simply not skilled enough for top 6, and doesn't do anything to warrant bottom 6.

Glad he is gone.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I think the thing people have to remember here is this isn't necessarily the end for him.
There's virtually no chance he's going to get picked up off waivers, so he will likely go to Bingo and get more ice time, get a chance to get things going and wait for another shot.

I've never been a big fan of his but he does have good offensive instincts. He makes some pretty nice plays but for some reason they very rarely result in goals being scored.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Da Costa never really got much of a chance in Ottawa in any of his call-ups.

This is probably best for him as, the reality is, he just isn't a great fit here. I think he'll find a spot on a team somewhere because he's a good player with some high end talent.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The AHL is littered with guys like DaCosta. They look good in camp, pre-season and in the AHL, but when their NHL shot comes, they wilt. Denis Hamel, Corey Locke - the list goes on and on. He has now officially gone from prospect to suspect.

I cringe when I see Kassian in the lineup, and Corvo in the press box. Why not dress seven defencemen? Corvo is a good option on the second PP, and can spell off Gryba when he is having a tough go. This seems better than dressing a 12th forward who is of limited value...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The AHL is littered with guys like DaCosta. They look good in camp, pre-season and in the AHL, but when their NHL shot comes, they wilt. Denis Hamel, Corey Locke - the list goes on and on. He has now officially gone from prospect to suspect.

I cringe when I see Kassian in the lineup, and Corvo in the press box. Why not dress seven defencemen? Corvo is a good option on the second PP, and can spell off Gryba when he is having a tough go. This seems better than dressing a 12th forward who is of limited value...

Not a bad idea especially if we play teams like the Devils. They don't have any super tough guys, so Kassian is useless.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Hamel and Locke aren't good comparables to DC at all. Both those guys can't skate. SDC's strength is in his skating and vision. He's close to being a NHLer. He's getting and creating chances but not getting results. He still has a chance, but he's gonna have to put in some hard work to get there. There aren't really any major flaws holding him back just execution and some confidence to make plays and finish. Could definitely use some more weight too.

It'll be really interesting if someone gets called up and who that might be. Lots of options at the moment.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The SDC window hasn't closed just yet, but his play while up here didn't indicate he is worthy of a regular top-6 or a bottom-6 spot in the NHL.

melnyk budget*

Da Costa is off of da rosta

(I'll see myself out)

:laugh: That is probably the most original and funny thing I've read on this forum in a long time. Good job.

Bingo looks stacked this year. I don't think a deep playoff run is out of the picture. It would be so great for our young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad