Waived: Stephane Da Costa (update: he cleared waivers)

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Good teams have good players in the bottom six.

Anyway, I've said my piece and I'll move on.

Not so fast, you don't.

Sens brass would look foolish if they lost the lesson for sending Zibby down in the first place.

There's likely as many possibilities for why he wouldn't be called up as why he was sent down in the first place.

Minus that DaCosta is a better player, that is.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sens brass would look foolish if they lost the lesson for sending Zibby down in the first place.

There's likely as many possibilities for why he wouldn't be called up as why he was sent down in the first place.

It just makes me laugh when they spin all of that crap about the best players playing.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It just makes me laugh when they spin all of that crap about the best players playing.

The best NHL players play in the NHL. Clearly management feels that Zibanejad took the fact that he was an NHL player for granted and sent him down to help him foster some good habits.

"The best players play" is the coach's decision; Zibanejad being sent down is all of management's decision

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
After the slow-middling start, we all expected something would happen since there was no way this team would continue with both Pageau and SDC. I'm a SDC supporter but all he could expect was a fair chance to show what he could do. With Spezza missing so much time he got a real good look both on the 1st line and the 3rd line in the preseason and early season games. He had some good shifts but didn't produce and he needed to stand out especially as the 3rd line centre to stay and he didn't. Now they know where he fits and can take the chance and send him down to Bingo. If he doesn't clear then at least he gets another chance with someone else.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Good thing we gave Da Costa a chance, otherwise there could have been regret if he went on to become the next MSL/Briere. Right now, there's little that indicates such a thing.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Good thing we gave Da Costa a chance, otherwise there could have been regret if he went on to become the next MSL/Briere. Right now, there's little that indicates such a thing.

Though I don't think he'll ever be on the level of those guys you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if he broke out a couple years down the road like a PA Parenteau did once he managed to get the right opportunity. I hope he clears, because he certainly would help the farm out and I always like having depth in minors. If he doesn't I wish him luck.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think he'll clear now, but I don't think he'd have cleared right after pre-season.

Agreed. I could have seen Calgary or Edmonton putting in a claim a few weeks ago but things have changed. Monahan has shown to be as awesome as we said he'd be, RNH is back, Street is a first line center????, and Arcabello has been okay.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
I expect he'll clear. If he doesn't, I'll be happy for him to get another opportunity elsewhere. A last chance destined to fail like Daug.

It wouldn't surprise me if Grant was called up. This team needs PK help after losing #11 and #33. Anyone know what the PK units are in Bingo?

And Zibby getting first line minutes for a while won't hurt

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I say 100% correct-strategy to keep him in the system. Most NHL teams have their rosters more or less set. Can't pick him up and play him in the ahl and he hasn't proved himself in the nhl.

If another team claims him, he has to stay with the big team. Unless they put him on waivers. In that case we can re-claim him and send him to the AHL without going through waivers again.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
SDC is a good player and should be an NHLer...kind of seems like there is a mental barrier he can't get past though...or that mental barrier is just a goalie preventing him from scoring...lol

FightingIrish

Total Lak of Respek
Aug 30, 2010
Ottawa
Grant or JOB.

Leave that other guy down, his name's Zibenajaid or something middle eastern - Needs top line minutes.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Seems like the right thing to do. He didn't once show his preseason 'inspired play' once the regular season started. That being said, I hope they don't bring Zibby up just to serve as an extra forward. Wherever he plays, he needs to be playing every game, not every other game.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I'll second Nyquil in saying that Zibby should get the call as the best available player. Maybe he earns his top 6 ice time with some bottom 6 ice time as opposed to Bingo time.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
we play 12 of our next 16 at home, away games in philly, columbus, detroit, and chicago.

no problem carrying 12 forwards since someone can be called up from bingo in a few hours now.

i'm not saying someone like zib or job wont be called up, just that it's not really necessary.

sidenote... holy ****, 12 of 16 at home (11 of 14 too). Talk about a make it or break it stretch early in the season.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Greening-Pageau-Condra
JOB-Smith-Neil

Maybe put JOB on the 3rd instead of Greening so he can take faceoffs for Pageau. But meh, even if Pageau sucks, he should get the most practice possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->