Waived: Stephane Da Costa (update: he cleared waivers)

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Guy played good mistake free hockey but didnt capitalize on his opportunities. I imagine if quick hadnt robbed him we might have been more lenient with him. He's not the type of player the team needs at the moment but i'm confident in his ability to be an injury call up and not totally embarrass himself. I hope we dont call up zibby though. I think the guy should know what it feels like to score twenty goals at least before being called up. A season in the AHL will be good for his development.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
If they are going to add someone to the 4th line they might bring up JOB rather than Zibby.

And yes, Da Costa is the perfect Brandon Bochenski trophy winner even though we waited it out this time though instead of having a vote right after pre season..

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mikka is NHL ready, would be a complete waste to bury him in the minors for a season.

This.

Don't we want some secondary scoring in the bottom six?

Zibanejad should provide that more than JOB, AND he can play a viable bottom six role.

Hell, that's how he made his initial mark in this league. It's not like JOB and Condra were lighting it up before he was brought up.

He arrives, they became the team's hottest line for awhile, and when players were healthy again, they couldn't send him back down.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
It just doesn't make sense to tell the guy that he needs to work on his offence as a center and then after 3 games call him back up. It would be such a bumbling move on part of the organization. Give him at least 15+ games in bingo

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It just doesn't make sense to tell the guy that he needs to work on his offence as a center and then after 3 games call him back up. It would be such a bumbling move on part of the organization. Give him at least 15+ games in bingo

It was bumbling to send him down in the first place because Da Costa apparently outplayed him against non-NHLers.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
This.

Don't we want some secondary scoring in the bottom six?

Zibanejad should provide that more than JOB, AND he can play a viable bottom six role.

Hell, that's how he made his initial mark in this league. It's not like JOB and Condra were lighting it up before he was brought up.

He arrives, they became the team's hottest line for awhile, and when players were healthy again, they couldn't send him back down.

if it is bottom 6 wouldn't it technically be tertiary or quaternary scoring ??? :D

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
wow, already, guess I was wrong and they are ready to lose him for nothing. Hopefully he finds success somewhere and it comes back to bite us in the ass

When they call-up Mika :

Conacher - Spezza - Michalek
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Greening - Zibanejad - Pageau
Condra - Smith - Neil
Kassian

Not sure who they are going to call-up though. JOB probably since he makes NHL money and can help with face-offs. Pageau could be the next to go to Bingo when Mika is ready

Reactions on this board will be funny when Mika is not going to be the guy called up...

It was bumbling to send him down in the first place because Da Costa apparently outplayed him against non-NHLers.

They chose to keep Pageau up... Apparently he was more deserving than Zibanejad. Da Costa is another totally different file because of waiver status. They wanted to see before losing him to waivers. Some will say "he got his chance" but to me playing almost 100% of 11:27 of ice-time with grinders isn't really the best opportunity to put numbers. Would have liked to see Da Costa at home in an offensive role. Oh well, good luck SDC!

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011

That still applys to what I'm saying. But thats not the ONLY reason they sent him down. They also sent him down to get top minutes and develop offensively. Making a big scene in sending him down for the aforementioned reasons, only then to bring him back up after 3 games is bumbling. This is why a plug should come up like JOB so Zibanjead can get more games down south

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I think they didn't want to lose a player for nothing, plus they don't want Zibanejad to develop into a Couturier. Hopefully this sends a message to Mika that he needs to be an offensive player, by playing him in the bottom 6 could seriously stunt his offensive growth. Something he didn't develop much by jumping into a mans league at 17 years old.

I think as soon as we see a serious injury to a player in the top 6 he will be up here in a flash.

edx

Mar 26, 2013
The coaching staff also got to see him in practice every day, no doubt with a variety of players, and could see how he looked compared to them as everyone got their skates more fully under them. I'm sure what was seen in games was only a portion of the whole picture.

Also, of course playing with the grinders was something he had to do--he wasn't knocking Spezza or Turris out of the top line positions. So if he was going to be playing in Ottawa, it was in the bottom six.

Also, his being up in Ottawa let some other players get some games under their belt in Bingo, and avoid a draining road trip for the start of the season.....and his being put on waivers then becomes a nice reminder of what can happen if you aren't measuring up. In some ways him starting up here was no lose for the club:
- he looks great and earns a permanent spot,
- he looks great and creates trade value for himself,
- he doesn't look great and gets picked up waivers, saving some $ and a contract slot,
- or he doesn't look great and he lands in Bingo a few games in to the season, and provide some skill in the line-up, in a Corey Locke type of roll (Good skill level for the AHL, but never going to stick in the bigs).

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This... I kind of want to see Grant get an honest chance.

Zibby will be fine for the next little while getting 1st line minutes in Bingo. It will do him some good. When we call Zibajanajadad, I want it to be for a real role, not a 9mins/night 4th line spot.

I haven't followed the B Sens at all. Is he really on the first line, and who are his wingers?

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
He wasn't give much of a shot playing with 4th liners but at the same time, he wasn't playing as if he "wanted" it. I would imagine a player in his situation would have played with more urgency and hustle than what he showed during the road trip. To me, it looked like he was playing timidly and afraid to make a mistake and that's why he's on waivers.

To get another shot at the NHL, I think he needs to land on a team like Calgary or Nashville that can use some skill at center.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's what I don't get.

We want JOB because he's a bottom sixer when Zibanejad was fine as a bottom sixer - plus he can be moved up if need be.

Zibanejad offers more flexibility for MacLean if he wants to continue tinkering with lines.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm glad to see that the coach agrees with me that SDC was underwhelming when centering the top line.

The kid has great vision and great hands but is simply not strong enough to play in the NHL

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That's what I don't get.

We want JOB because he's a bottom sixer when Zibanejad was fine as a bottom sixer - plus he can be moved up if need be.

Zibanejad offers more flexibility for MacLean if he wants to continue tinkering with lines.

zibby would probably be an excellent bottom 6 guy up here. i don't think they want him getting comfortable in that role. they want him to be a ppg top 6 guy with his skillset. do it in bingo first then get your chance up here.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
zibby would probably be an excellent bottom 6 guy up here. i don't think they want him getting comfortable in that role. they want him to be a ppg top 6 guy with his skillset. do it in bingo first then get your chance up here.

This must be the thinking if they bring up JOB instead.

And I can see it, too. JOB is good on the PK, and DaCosta can plug in to his vacant 2C spot in Bingo.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He wasn't give much of a shot playing with 4th liners but at the same time, he wasn't playing as if he "wanted" it. I would imagine a player in his situation would have played with more urgency and hustle than what he showed during the road trip. To me, it looked like he was playing timidly and afraid to make a mistake and that's why he's on waivers.

To get another shot at the NHL, I think he needs to land on a team like Calgary or Nashville that can use some skill at center.

Agreed.

Unless a skilled player is a high draft pick and teams feel obligated to give a player every chance to succeed, they generally have to prove that they're worth playing with skilled players. Most guys have to prove that they're worth skilled linemates from the bottom up. Dacosta didn't show anything, and that's why he's on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->