Stepan vs. MPS

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
After their rookie season...

Stepan:

2010-11 New York Rangers NHL 82(GP) 21(G) 24(A) 45(PTS) 20(PIM) +8(+/-)

MPS:

2010-11 Edmonton Oilers NHL 80(GP) 15(G) 19(A) 34(PTS) 16(PIM) -13(+/-)

2 completely different teams... but who has the better career?

IS MPS a career 2nd liner in Edmonton?

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Is Malkin a 2nd liner? That's how I see Paajarvi. I think he'll be a first line talent playing on the 2nd line since Hall plays the same position.

I don't think Hall will hold him back. He'll still get tons of ice time and it will most likely be against weaker competition since he won't be on the first line.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Stephan was better this season no doubt but Paajarvi is a year younger and in my opinion, has higher offensive upside.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Pretty different players, tough to pick one with personal preference being a key contributor in your pick IMO.

I think Paajarvi is committed to being a solid 2-way winger with good offensive upside, i.e. Hossa with less offense.

Stepan had a better year this year, but he is older I believe and plays on a significantly better team, so tough to guage them on level playing fields.

Pretty close, can't go wrong with either one.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I doubt MPS is 1st-liner material...and I love the kid

I think he maxes out at 25-35-60 IMO

he's got the speed and the size but not enough pure offensive talent to become a true 1st line LWer

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I doubt MPS is 1st-liner material...and I love the kid

I think he maxes out at 25-35-60 IMO

he's got the speed and the size but not enough pure offensive talent to become a true 1st line LWer

I would consider 60 points first line numbers, since only 47 forwards hit that plateau this season.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
He'll always be a 2nd liner in EDM because Hall will play above him. MPS took awhile to adjust to NA ice but really showed vast improvement in the last part of the season. He's a very intelligent player that understands both sides of the ice, has a large frame that can still use some muscle and is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL. He can play LW, RW and the point on the powerplay. He still shoots too many perimeter shots for my liking but near the end of the season was driving the net with authority. If he commits himself this offseason I think we'll have a player that every team could use.

I really don't know much about Stepan, except for the fact he also had a massive cold streak during the year. Can't say who I'd take, but I'm a big MPS fan.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I would consider 60 points first line numbers, since only 47 forwards hit that plateau this season.

But how many current forwards have hit 60 points at least once in their career? Remember he said 60 points max, not consistently.

Is Todd Marchant a first line player, even though he played one year there for the Oilers?

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
I have a hard on for Stepan so I'll take him.

LOL... .tell us how you really feel... lol

I'll take Stepan also. He just "gets it". Just a really smart hockey player with leadership qualities. I see Stepan as a solid NHL player for well over a decade. However, He does need to work on his skating as it is awkward at best. A season or two of training will improve this tremendously.

hockeywhiz

Aug 21, 2008
After their rookie season...

Stepan:

2010-11 New York Rangers NHL 82(GP) 21(G) 24(A) 45(PTS) 20(PIM) +8(+/-)

MPS:

2010-11 Edmonton Oilers NHL 80(GP) 15(G) 19(A) 34(PTS) 16(PIM) -13(+/-)

2 completely different teams... but who has the better career?

IS MPS a career 2nd liner in Edmonton?

I see a lot of similarities in MPS and Nik Antropov.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Is Malkin a 2nd liner? That's how I see Paajarvi. I think he'll be a first line talent playing on the 2nd line since Hall plays the same position.

I don't think Hall will hold him back. He'll still get tons of ice time and it will most likely be against weaker competition since he won't be on the first line.

Also if he switches to RW, Eberle is there. I'd take MPS (although I would love Stepan on the Oilers). Paajarvi will be a Hossa-esque player who puts up 35-40 G on a career year and about 25-30 on average.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

this! plus he'll get PP time on the point. MPS has the higher upside. I havent watched Stepan a ton, but MPS is certainly going to be one of the best "2nd liners" out there

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Tough comparison as they are very different players, but i'd go with MPS.

Though as mentioned, he's going to be stuck in that 2nd line position with the Oilers as long as Hall is there. So that could be a factor i guess, but i expect he will still have plenty of opportunity to put together a solid career.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I see him maxed out as a solid two-way second line winger that puts up 50-60 points a season. A player any team would like to have.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
I prefer it when Magnus plays on the right. He seems more dangerous when he gets into the offensive zone with speed and drifts towards the centre to fire off a wrister Franzén style. Sometimes when he plays on the left he seems to always go outside of the defender and then tries his patented 'playstation x-button' move towards the net and it doesn't really work as well in the NHL where the defenses are bigger and meaner and there's less space.

He seems to be improving and becoming generally less predictable though.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
LOL... .tell us how you really feel... lol

I'll take Stepan also. He just "gets it". Just a really smart hockey player with leadership qualities. I see Stepan as a solid NHL player for well over a decade. However, He does need to work on his skating as it is awkward at best. A season or two of training will improve this tremendously.

Pierre, is that you?

Neblod Zin

Oct 3, 2006
Finland
Very true - IMO he was twice the player at the end of the season than he was at the start.

One thing that he has really improved seems to be his boardwork and general strenght with the puck. He is now far stronger and has better balance. Also he doesn't seem to make these little annoying mistakes anymore that he did before, f. ex. in his passing along the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad