Speculation: Stepan on the outs in Ottawa already?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I actually think we'd covet Beagle. We need help on faceoffs.

That said, I'd happily accept Eriksson & Gaudette as a base. Would be surprised if the Nucks would do that, though.

I'd include Beagle with Eriksson, but that second is what kills the trade for me. We've hemorrhaged draft picks already in the last 18 or so months.

Gaudette and Virtanen seem to be alternating being in Green's doghouse, and frankly, as beloved as either are to certain fans, very few would hesitate moving one of them to unload next year's cap hit for Eriksson.

Our bottom six is packed, and MacEwen, Motte, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen and Gaudette are all fighting over 6 spots, and we have Bailey, Michealis and eventually Hawryluk (IR) all waiting for a chance on the taxi squad.

Would there be any other loose pieces that could, or would be needed to, be fit in?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Canucks say hi

Schmidt as a top pairing D.

Sbisa as any kind of NHL level D.

Gudbranson as a top pairing D.

Ballard as a top pairing D.

Del Zotto.

Weber as a D of the future.

Hamonic as a Tanev replacement. (Kidding!)

There seems to be a common factor here, concerning our pro-scouting for those not tracking the thread, across multiple groups...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Pierre Dorion and DJ Smith totally miscalculated what this team needed during the offseason. Sens fans were also saying this during the summer, it's fine to create internal battles if you're bringing players that actually bring value on ice. Unfortunately, it's not the case here, they brought in some guys that can barely play in the NHL or on the other hand brought in some guys that play too many minutes and roles they shouldn't have at this point in their careers. A lot of it has to do with Dorion, ultimately he made the decisions to bring in those guys, but DJ Smith has a coaching style and that team was molded for him so I would say he has some responsibility here as well.

A bunch of the moves are fine in a vacuum, but when you look at the sum of all parts it's just a bunch of castoffs that were grouped together. Gudbranson is fine in a 3rd pairing role with a good puck-moving Dman, but he's been playing top pair and 2nd pair now. Obviously that wasn't going to work. That one can be understandable, replacement for Hainsey that didn't cost much. The Paquette/Coburn deal is also understandable, they made the trade thinking Paquette would be a good role player with winning experience and they got a 2nd rounder for taking them. No issues here again. Turns out the two Tampa players have been terrible, but in the end they made the deal for the pick. The Watson deal, ok sure, he's been probably the best of the bunch so far, he's a good 4rth line player.

The Stepan deal was the mind-numbing one here. In a time where teams are scrambling to unload cap space Sens went out and gave a 2nd rounder for a guy that has severely regressed over the past few years. He can't skate, he can't do anything really, and he's out there playing PP1 and get minutes with guys like Stutzle and Dadonov. This is on DJ Smith. Stepan has proved he isn't any better than the guys we already had and we paid a high price for simply no reason. Then the Josh Brown deal, you're sitting a guy like Jaros, who I don't even think is a good player, but you're adding a similar guy through trade and signing him to a 2-year deal right off the bat. It's just hard to understand these deals.

Anyways, it's crazy sometimes to think that fans have a better idea than the management team. A lot of people here always mention that coaching staffs and managements teams are pros and they know what they're doing and that we should trust them. The reality is there's enough evidence to look at and at this point we know management teams often (very often) make very avoidable mistakes that everyone can see from a distance. The good news with all of this for Sens fans is that the plan has backfired heavily, and now we'll see some changes, and maybe Dorion will be fired.

Last edited:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
And Stepan was both not exactly fast to begin with nor is he in the greatest shape by NHL standards.
He was never an athlete, he just happened to be very good at hockey at one point and can think the game well. Good guy though.

what you need is a slightly used DeAngelo say for Paquette and Brown

Reactions: Rangers ftw

CMayton

Dec 20, 2020
I don't understand this thinking. The Sens could have had DeAngelo for free a few days ago. Why would they be paying to take him now?
They could have had him for free at $4.8M. This proposal involves the Rangers eating some of it (not enough to warrant a 2nd round pick, though).

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Seems like just yesterday he had a hatty in his first game and everyone was flipping out about how cute his mom was. Don't Ewww me bro, that shit happened.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You'd think if he didn't want to play away from his family he would have worked harder so he wouldn't have been moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->