Step Back From the Ledge, Things Are Going to Get Better

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's pretty singular that MacT just got destroyed, ripped and made fun of last year for his 'we are visually better' and now everyone and their dog is making the exact same observation.

In my mind all the excuses, all of the 'we look betters', all of the we will get them next times, all of the 'we have a new regime they need time.'s all fall flat on their face when you simply look, like every year at all of other teams with worse talent, new coaches, injuries, year one of rebuild, team falling off and all of them do better than the oilers doing the only metric that counts.

Calgary, having a totally atrocious year. The big fall off the cliff that some predicated and everyone wanted. Flames fans are all going ballistic. And we are still behind them.

If by this time the 'core' can't get us out of last place over all then we are pooched and need to tear it up and rebuild around mcdavid.

I feel like some people are making that remark sarcastically or at least tongue in cheek.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
RNH has been battling illness and still isn't right so I give him some leeway, and Ebs is coming off a significant shoulder injury. Give it a few more games, and they'll be better.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Of course we were going to start rough. The real Eakins comparison can only happen if things stay this way. I was hopeful that the turnaround would happen in time for us to make a run for the playoffs. Unfortunately that's not looking very likely atm. Oh well. The future is still bright. We're still not out of it just yet this season but if we dont make that won't be the end if the world

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
It's pretty singular that MacT just got destroyed, ripped and made fun of last year for his 'we are visually better' and now everyone and their dog is making the exact same observation.

Except the team is more than visually better. The metrics are much improved. Goaltending is still an issue and there's no depth scoring, and yet...

In my mind all the excuses, all of the 'we look betters', all of the we will get them next times, all of the 'we have a new regime they need time.'s all fall flat on their face when you simply look, like every year at all of other teams with worse talent, new coaches, injuries, year one of rebuild, team falling off and all of them do better than the oilers doing the only metric that counts.

I don't understand this at all. Every year some teams will do better than they should on paper and others will do worse. Who cares?

Calgary, having a totally atrocious year. The big fall off the cliff that some predicated and everyone wanted. Flames fans are all going ballistic. And we are still behind them.

I'll take our record over Calgary's every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If by this time the 'core' can't get us out of last place over all then we are pooched and need to tear it up and rebuild around mcdavid.

Yes, yes, very original thought.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Except the team is more than visually better. The metrics are much improved. Goaltending is still an issue and there's no depth scoring, and yet...

No the metrics are not improved, look at the NHL advanced stats, we suck. All metrics are wayyyyyy down here, the only metric that really matters is wayyyyyy up here.

I don't understand this at all. Every year some teams will do better than they should on paper and others will do worse. Who cares?

Who cares? I guess excuse mongers for last place teams for the past 7 or 8 years don't care. It is actually amazingly difficult to be as bad as this team has been year after year. How people in the same breath can praise up half the roster and then excuse the standings is beyond me.

I'll take our record over Calgary's every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

lol, I'm sure they would as well.

Yes, yes, very original thought.

I am not sure you comprehend the object of the game?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I don't see things getting better for this team until massive roster changes are made. This isn't a case of "they need to develop" anymore. This is a case of not having the right mix of players to win hockey games.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I've said it before, but I think it will be at least 3 more years before we make the playoffs. Our D is just too horrid, and there aren't many options besides draft and develop our own D, which takes time.

The problem is that we don't have 3 years. I have a friend who is a good friend of Bobby Orr. He basically told Edmonton management after draft that McDavid will play for Edmonton, but if the gong show is not fixed up after the ELC, he is gone. True story. Why do you think changes have been made so quick to the management team after the draft? Letting that gong show run it would be letting a bunch of hungry monkeys in charge of bananas

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I don't see things getting better for this team until massive roster changes are made. This isn't a case of "they need to develop" anymore. This is a case of not having the right mix of players to win hockey games.

McDuul is 100% right. If I give you the initials off the 2 players who should go, will you tell me if I am right. How about Nuge and Ebs? Would Jones and Hamonic look good here? How about some forwards like Simmonds? Something gotta give. I am sick of Nuge and Ebs getting muscled off the puck non-stop. With Nuge it is like a kid from grade 12 pounding a kid from grade 7. He would not be a top 5 pick in other years. With that year I wish Landeskog. With Yak, I wish Reilly. That is what happens when u let ownership and his chimps run a team.

Pros and Cons

Mar 22, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Too many holes on this roster still. Bottom 6 is absolute trash, not enough offense from the blueline, defensive breakdowns, inconsistent goaltending, bad powerplay setups, etc. I think a message needs to be conveyed by management to the players through a big trade. The "core" has seen coach after coach after coach fired and has not taken accountability for all of the losing . It's finally time to send a message to the players that this losing will no longer be acceptable and that the coaches will no longer take the full brunt of the accountability.

Agreed.
How many teams in professional sports would be allowed the luxury of keeping the same first round draft picks around while continue to be the caboose of the league year after year. Consistently inconsistent means not winning hockey games.
Have we seen the Moral Victory Cup playoffs in action? It does not exist.
The reason why PC and TM were brought in was to see where to cut the fat....excuses aside, this team has too many similar minded players, that had success separately not together on this team. Simple as that. You cannot have a lopsided talent base. It does not work in any business model, and failure to react or recognize that is also doom for any business.
I am not saying I don't like the players on this team, because I very much do. These kids are a special group of hockey players that enjoy the sport and can be very talented with there individual skills. I am saying to better improve the quality of outcomes, a purge is required to take the next step. No one else had the balls to do it....so in comes PC and TM with no ties to the past or foundation of the Oiler blunders. This current team is not going anywhere without a big trade.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
No the metrics are not improved, look at the NHL advanced stats, we suck. All metrics are wayyyyyy down here, the only metric that really matters is wayyyyyy up here.

Ok they are the same terrible team as always and nothing will ever get better wah wah wah. Better?

Who cares? I guess excuse mongers for last place teams for the past 7 or 8 years don't care. It is actually amazingly difficult to be as bad as this team has been year after year. How people in the same breath can praise up half the roster and then excuse the standings is beyond me.

So you can't really say how other teams under- or over-performing is relevant, then? OK.

I am not sure you comprehend the object of the game?

V. productive reply.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ok they are the same terrible team as always and nothing will ever get better wah wah wah. Better?

So you can't really say how other teams under- or over-performing is relevant, then? OK.

V. productive reply.

- lol, of course the team will get better, it can't help it and you know what? The logical optimist and the illogical ones will always have the last laugh at some point this team will be a playoff team and the I told you so's from the last 10 years will rain down.

Teams don't just get better because you wish they would get better.

- Very easily, we have people in here preaching how good we are and just wait. Each and every year worse teams talent wise with the same excuses trotted out here do better. How can all the great players on this team produce such bad results?

- You said you would take our record over Calgary's, thus my object of the game comment.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
- lol, of course the team will get better.

I'm not so sure.

This team can find a way to lose a hockey game and flush a season down the toilet like no other.

I don't know how they don't get better. It seems impossible.

But I have faith the Oilers will find a way not to.
Everytime I think they've got to be better this year. They get worse or the same. Mostly the same because they can't really get worse.

This team is the bad news bears of the NHL.
You could put the Western Conference All start team in an Oiler Jersey for a year and they'd still crap a season away.

Oilers lay coilers. it's what they do.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm not so sure.

This team can find a way to lose a hockey game and flush a season down the toilet like no other.

I don't know how they don't get better. It seems impossible.

But I have faith the Oilers will find a way not to.
Everytime I think they've got to be better this year. They get worse or the same. Mostly the same because they can't really get worse.

This team is the bad news bears of the NHL.
You could put the Western Conference All start team in an Oiler Jersey for a year and they'd still crap a season away.

Oilers lay coilers. it's what they do.

Oh they will, the team long term will be a playoff team and probably cup winner. But not by doing what the happy happy joy joy clubs mantra of just wait all will be well. It will by building around mcdavid who is a legit franchise guy and getting rid of some of this core that can't win at all.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
In our heart of hearts we all want to see the team win and succeed but there are times when it just feels hopeless and seeing other teams achieve more with less is just.... depressing. This team sometimes seems so close to turning the corner... and then when they do they veer off a cliff.

The more negative we are the more we want the team to do well. I think I speak for my fellow Debbies when I say this year is super trying because they are showing improvements but not showing them where they count the most.

Things will get better of course, but that's kinda easy to say because they can't get much worse.

...Right?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Courtesy of the main board, a great example of how close we have been to another 4-5 wins this year:

oilers-gwg-table-2.png

:amazed:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
bahaha do you feel like deleting this thread right about now? Team has only looked as bad as last year since this thread was created.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
bahaha do you feel like deleting this thread right about now? Team has only looked as bad as last year since this thread was created.

So they looked good against Carolina? How about checking your facts before talking ****?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I stepped back from Laleggia, but I still don't Khaira.

The only question at this point is, apology letter or no apology letter this year, Mr. Katz?
No apology letter this year. Who does he apologize for? Lowe and Mactavish are supposedly out of the picture so no need for them. Eakins is gone. The organization won't issue an apology for the players because they're the product he's trying to sell at a hyper inflated cost. We see a massive roster overhaul this summer and if that doesn't work we can talk about another letter next year when Katz reminds us how good the future looks with McDavid and a few others and how he can't wait to see them win a Stanley Cup.

You can't issue those letters every year because people will start to think you're full of crap. You might be able to do it every other year though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad