Step 1 IIHF agreement complete

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Jaded-Fan said:
Bettman said specifically that Russian clubs risked getting nothing if they did not sign onto the IIHF agreement. I linked the articles quoting Bettman last August when he said just those things when he went to Russia. He also said that the NHL would NOT allow any NHL clubs to negotiate separate transfer agreements for players.

Again, I will happily lay that bet above that an agreement gets signed this summer. Both sides have something to lose, including the NHL. Even with saying the above, the NHL benefits from the certainty of cost and method of players coming over from Russia.

Bettman is bluffing. He understands that Russians know that IIHF agreement is a joke. They already started signing all the young guys to 6 year contracts. By the time the hockey players in Russia reach 23-24 years old they don't give a damn about the rookie salary in NHL while they can make more money in Russia. This is the case with Grigorenko for example. If Malkin stays in Russia for two more years, then there is not much interest for him to go to Pens and make the peanuts for 3 more years and that is what the Russians are trying to do. I do not think it is the matter of the money but the matter of having the best talent stay in Russia.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If Malkin and everyone around him has been blowing smoke about wanting to come next year, then nothing including signing the IIHF agreement will get him here. This thread is about him wanting to come.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Jaded-Fan said:
If Malkin and everyone around him has been blowing smoke about wanting to come next year, then nothing including signing the IIHF agreement will get him here. This thread is about him wanting to come.

Malkin will go whatever is best for his family. If he makes good money in Russia he is the type of guy who will stay in Russia. He is very different from Ovechkin who always starved for North American stardom. One thing for sure is that Malkin has no wet dreams about NHL, in fact I do not believe he has seen any NHL games this year alone. I spoke to him 3 months ago and he said he had no clue on what is happening in NHL and did not even know that Ovechkin already became a superstar here midway of the season. He probably feels something like it is interesting to test himself in NHL but he is surely at this point feels comfortable in Russia as a hockey player.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Siberian said:
Malkin will go whatever is best for his family. If he makes good money in Russia he is the type of guy who will stay in Russia. He is very different from Ovechkin who always starved for North American stardom. One thing for sure is that Malkin has no wet dreams about NHL, in fact I do not believe he has seen any NHL games this year alone. I spoke to him 3 months ago and he said he had no clue on what is happening in NHL and did not even know that Ovechkin already became a superstar here midway of the season. He probably feels something like it is interesting to test himself in NHL but he is surely at this point feels comfortable in Russia as a hockey player.

That goes against his words in every interview he has had, and there are several, what Gonchar has said about a conversation with him at the Olympics and what Ovechkin has said. But if true, IIHF agreement or not, Malkin is not coming. I do not believe a word of what you said above though.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
There apparently was a law regarding workers getting out of any employment contract with two weeks notice that would make it more a one way street. That was mentioned in those articles that I linked.

That said, I agree totally that both sides have something to lose here if this is not resolved. That is why I am saying that it will get resolved this summer, and even am betting on that prediction. A bet none have taken by the way. Though admittedly it would be no great hardship to wear an Ovechkin avatar for a month in the unlikely event of my losing this bet. I really have nothing at all against the kid and enjoy watching him. It might kill some of these Russian fans to wear a Crosby avatar for a month though.

Regarding the “two week†agreement – that might be all fine and good to state, in theory it’s a lovely little scenario. In actuality it won’t happen. If the Russians don’t want you to leave, they can make it pretty damn hard to get out of the country as well as making life miserable for those you left behind (I speak from experience on this).

That being said, I too think it will be signed …… both sides have way too much to lose if they do not come to an agreement sooner rather than later.

It would kill me to wear one too .... for a whole different reason ---- me hating Pittsburgh because they're, well Pittsburgh and all ....;)

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Siberian said:
I have to call BS on this ------ every thing I have heard/read/found states that Malkin truly wants to come over next season (thanks in part to Ovechkin’s terrific PR on behalf of the NHL).

Furthermore, every one in Russia knows how well Ovechkin is doing and how highly regarded he is among NHL fans and players alike.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
HockeyCritter said:
I have to call BS on this ------ every thing I have heard/read/found states that Malkin truly wants to come over next season (thanks in part to Ovechkin’s terrific PR on behalf of the NHL).

Furthermore, every one in Russia knows how well Ovechkin is doing and how highly regarded he is among NHL fans and players alike.

I think it is a huge exaggeration about everyone in Russia. Ovechkin is barely known in the States where he now plays and in Russia he is only known to people who follow NHL closely. Another thing is Malkin and Ovechkin are not that close friends and they only spoke once during the whole season (excluding Olympics) and that happened only because GM of Russian junior team Tuzik talking to Ovechkin on the phone and Malkin was near, took the phone from Tuzik for couple of minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->