Stellaris (Paradox Interactive, 2016 - 4X Grand Strategy)

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Is anyone else as in love with this game as I am? As a big Paradox fan and lover of EUIV, HOI IV and Vicky 2, I had held off on Stellaris - but purchased it a few months ago on sale, and I absolutely love it. The details Paradox have added to the Universe, and the complexity and variety of each and every journey and game I've rolled thusfar, have me hooked.

If you're thinking about diving in, it's on sale this weekend via Paradox Developer Sale. 60% off base game, with varying discounts on the DLC.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A bit too involved for my tastes, I settled on Endless Space 2 for my space 4x fix.

Did you try that one?

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Really enjoy Stellaris, but I find that I enjoy the early game so much more. By the late game I feel like I'm just going through the motions, and conquering just for the sake of conquering.

Still lots of fun though, and pretty much endlessly re-playable.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I bought this game when it was on sale a while ago and haven't had a chance to really get into it; I tried twice but it seems really complicated and both times I didn't have the time to really try to figure it out. Any beginner advice? Or links to guides/tutorials? Or a guestimate on how long it'd take a new person to figure out?

I have a long history with Total War & Civ but this seems other-level complicated.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I bought this game when it was on sale a while ago and haven't had a chance to really get into it; I tried twice but it seems really complicated and both times I didn't have the time to really try to figure it out. Any beginner advice? Or links to guides/tutorials? Or a guestimate on how long it'd take a new person to figure out?

I have a long history with Total War & Civ but this seems other-level complicated.

I haven't played it either but as more of a Civ/Total War (though not since Empire) player yes the Paradox games are significantly more complex. Starting from an easy scenario in Crusader Kings II it took me about 20 hours with multiple restarts to finally start figuring it out.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I haven't played it either but as more of a Civ/Total War (though not since Empire) player yes the Paradox games are significantly more complex. Starting from an easy scenario in Crusader Kings II it took me about 20 hours with multiple restarts to finally start figuring it out.
That's what I had feared. I don't have a ton of time to game anymore, and not for a consistent series of days to learn something with a large learning curve. Both Stellaris & CKII interested me and I own both, but haven't really played either. I've heard Stellaris is a little easier to get into.

One day I hope to have a relatively free weekend or something so I can really dig in. I've found my gaming is now more confined to 2-3 hours every few days but that may change as the winter comes...

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Stellaris is decently close to other space 4X’s so it’s definitely the easiest to get into of the PDX family. Probably why it was chosen to be the first game ported to consoles. Though the next update is basically reworking the economy and planet management systems to resemble other Paradox games so that’s going to change.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I want to get into it, by Paradox already sucks so much of my time with EU4, and now Rome is on the way? It isn’t fair.

Still going to try and give it a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad