Claimed off Waivers: Stefan Noesen a Devil

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Whats his story? I know hes a former 1st rounder and hes only 23 but thats about all i know. Any upside possible? Or is he another dud like DSP?

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Whats his story? I know hes a former 1st rounder and hes only 23 but thats about all i know. Any upside possible? Or is he another dud like DSP?

Injuries derailed his development.

He looked like a decent 4th liner in his limited time in Anaheim. He could still turn into a useful player, but it might take a few more years because he is so far behind on his development.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
The Ducks turn out quite a few late bloomers, I suspect this will be another one. Carlyle smothers his 4th line, so it's not like Noesen had a great chance to show much in his time with the Ducks, hopefully the Devils give him a little more rope. Then again, hopefully they don't and waive him again. :naughty:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Shero is a sucker for a reclamation project. Some things never change with that guy.

it worked out well with Schlemko last year. Bennett has been decent this year as well, and Parenteau leads the team in goals.

can't hurt to get a talented young player for free. I'll never hate on a team for getting free assets.

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
I still think Noesen could become a decent bottom 6'er in the NHL. We'll see. Unfortunately he didn't have a lot of room to grow within the Ducks roster right now and Carlyle hardly plays the 4th line anyway. Hope he does well for you, Devils fans.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I'd really like to see this kid do well. He's had a rough go of it so far with all the injuries. Hopefully he'll get a chance in NJ

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Injuries have killed his development. He disappointed recently though. Wasn't bad in his brief NHL time. He's not near as quick of a skater as I expected he'd be. Maybe that's the injury, or maybe he just was never as quick as I thought he was.

His most important development years were unfortunately derailed by injuries... He was injured every year and when the trade happened, I already thought that he wasn't going to amount to much. He was already seen as a reclamation project in that trade, kind of like Jarrod Maidens who was a Sens 3rd round draft pick in 2012 (but had 1st round talent). It is a risky sport

I consider that trade a win for us. Honestly I'd take Silfverberg over Ryan straight up now. Silfverberg has been phenomenal this year. Been great defensively from the beginning, but has a lot more offensive confidence this year, and it's been a saving grace with Perry sucking. Having Ritchie, who's a very good young player, is just icing on the cake.

That said, I'm not saying we won and Ottawa lost. It's a win for us in that Silfverberg + Ritchie is better than having Ryan. If Ottawa is happy with Ryan over those two, then that's great. Absolutely nothing wrong with win-win trades.

Of course it's a great trade for the Ducks. Even if you give up the best player in the deal at first (who is normally older), and it doesn't pay the first few years, you can appreciate the fact that the younger players are on cheap contracts and it gives more room to sign other players. IIRC, the Ducks needed cap space back then

To many Sens fans (those who are high on the hyperbole mainly), it's a super horrific terrible trade for Ottawa. Bobby Ryan is an useless bum that is overpaid by 5 millions a year and cost us a hefty package!

Personally, I prefer Swedes over North Americans (so I would have liked to keep Silf and Zibanejad) but I understand that this trade was needed for marketing reasons, after losing Alfie to the Wings. The Sens needed a big name to get people in the stands and deflect attention from the Alfie fiasco.

Like you, I always thought this was a win/win trade, as Sens get instant production and Anaheim got cheap young assets that will help later. You won't find many Sens fan who think like that though, most don't like Ryan and the money factor is the biggest reason for it. If Ryan signed for let's say 5.5 per year, there wouldn't be that many complaints, maybe only from the usual whiners. He has kept the same pace (~ 0.70 PPG) as the last 2 years in Anaheim but plays a more rounded game (instead of being one-dimensional) and is now a better playmaker than goal scorer. Hopefully, he stays healthy and continue with the same pace. Or even better, we never know!

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
His most important development years were unfortunately derailed by injuries... He was injured every year and when the trade happened, I already thought that he wasn't going to amount to much. He was already seen as a reclamation project in that trade, kind of like Jarrod Maidens who was a Sens 3rd round draft pick in 2012 (but had 1st round talent). It is a risky sport

One of the nicest guys I've ever met, really wish he could have recovered. Such a freak incident and now even 5 years later he's not fully cleared of symptoms. Hope Noesen can stay healthy enough to contribute.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well the Sens certainly lost the 2011 draft by taking Noesen and Puempel in the first round.

Not really. They had a crap first round with Zibanejad, Noesen and Puempel, but they turned ZBad into Brassard (good for Zbad for seemingly turning it around though) and they drafted JG Pageau in the 4th round, Claesson in the 5th who has looked good and Dzingel in the 7th who has looked really good.

Not optimum in the first round though...boo.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Don't want to derail this thread so I'll just say this:

I consider that trade a win for us. Honestly I'd take Silfverberg over Ryan straight up now. Silfverberg has been phenomenal this year. Been great defensively from the beginning, but has a lot more offensive confidence this year, and it's been a saving grace with Perry sucking. Having Ritchie, who's a very good young player, is just icing on the cake.

That said, I'm not saying we won and Ottawa lost. It's a win for us in that Silfverberg + Ritchie is better than having Ryan. If Ottawa is happy with Ryan over those two, then that's great. Absolutely nothing wrong with win-win trades.

Oh, the Ducks won the trade hands down, you don't have to worry about saying that. We're lucky that Ryan actually looks good right now, but he has his moments...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He's now the 13th 1st round pick from the 2011 draft that has been moved at least once. That seems high, no?

2010, to my knowledge, has seen seventeen of its first rounders move.

Hall, Seguin, Gudbranson, Johansen, Niederreiter, Connolly, Burmistrov, McIlrath, Campbell, Gormley, Bennett, Tinordi, Pysyk, Hayes, Howden, Coyle, Etem. Not sure about Visentin, and Hishon has already left the league altogether.

For comparision, just six guys from 2012 1st round have moved to date, and five from 2013's (disregarding Nichuskin's departure). We have already seen four trades involving 2014's first round draftees, but beyond that, such moves have not occurred.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
2010, to my knowledge, has seen seventeen of its first rounders move.

Hall, Seguin, Gudbranson, Johansen, Niederreiter, Connolly, Burmistrov, McIlrath, Campbell, Gormley, Bennett, Tinordi, Pysyk, Hayes, Howden, Coyle, Etem. Not sure about Visentin, and Hishon has already left the league altogether.

For comparision, just six guys from 2012 1st round have moved to date, and five from 2013's (disregarding Nichuskin's departure). We have already seen four trades involving 2014's first round draftees, but beyond that, such moves have not occurred.

It is pretty alarming/impressive, but part of it is also the simple passage of time. One should expect more movement from the 2010 draft, 7 (wow... I still remember that draft clearly) years later, than the 2011 draft 6 years later, the 2012 draft 5 year later, or the 2014 draft 3 years later.

By comparison, 2009:

Schenn (LAK->PHI)
Glennie (DAL->UFA)
Cowen (OTT->TOR->UFA)
Paajarvi (EDM->STL)
Kassian (BUF->VAN->MTL->EDM)
Kulikov (FLA->BUF)
Holland (ANA->TOR->ARI)
Leddy (MIN->CHI->NYI)
Rundblad (STL->OTT->PHX->CHI->UFA)
Leblanc (MTL->ANA->UFA->Retired)
Moore (CBJ->NYR->ARI->NJD)