Value of: Stecher to WPG

GoldyNuck

Mar 7, 2017
Jets are looking for another dman, Stecher has been decent in limited minutes and was playing well in a top-4 role last year, and is an RFA at the end of the year w/ arbitration rights. What would be a potential return from Winnipeg?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Bare minimum he's a 5D. He doesn'do anything especially well, but his only weakness is his size and even that's offset the way he instigates contact.
But he's not a 5th in Vancouver and it's no like they have a deep defense. If you're expecting other fans to over value him I wouldn't hold your breath.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Stecher is a fanastic young Dman who skates well and moves the puck decently.

He is most suitalble to be a 4-6 on a team but can fill in a 2-4 role when needed.

Right shot Dmen are coveted in this league as well.

I dont see the Canucks moving him this season unless there was other Dmen coming back to the Canucks that can play a RD role. We have Benn sitting on the pressbox who can play both sides but no depth after that.

I assume Canuck fans want to move Stecher to give Rafferty a shot at the NHL. Rafftey is absoloutely demolishing the AHL.

However, i dont believe Rafferty is NHL ready just yet so a move involving Stecher will probably be done this off-season.

Value wise, Stecher is worth a 2nd and a prospect. or a decent prospect alone.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
There's value to stecher. For winnepeg is he better or is he that much better then what they have now and coming up. Also cap hit wise probably not the best way to spend $2.5 million on a bottom pair.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
There's value to stecher. For winnepeg is he better or is he that much better then what they have now and coming up. Also cap hit wise probably not the best way to spend $2.5 million on a bottom pair.
Hold your breath for the "likes" from Jets fans on this hot take. LOL

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
But he's not a 5th in Vancouver and it's no like they have a deep defense. If you're expecting other fans to over value him I wouldn't hold your breath.
Yes, Stecher is our #5, ahead of Fantenberg who is our #6. He is a good bottom pairing D and can log more minutes if needed and is on a pretty fair deal. Not sure what his value is on the market, but I'd think he would certainly generate some interest.

Reactions: Cogburn

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Stecher is a fanastic young Dman who skates well and moves the puck decently.

He is most suitalble to be a 4-6 on a team but can fill in a 2-4 role when needed.

Right shot Dmen are coveted in this league as well.

I dont see the Canucks moving him this season unless there was other Dmen coming back to the Canucks that can play a RD role. We have Benn sitting on the pressbox who can play both sides but no depth after that.

I assume Canuck fans want to move Stecher to give Rafferty a shot at the NHL. Rafftey is absoloutely demolishing the AHL.

However, i dont believe Rafferty is NHL ready just yet so a move involving Stecher will probably be done this off-season.

Value wise, Stecher is worth a 2nd and a prospect. or a decent prospect alone.

For a short period of time he can move into that 2nd pair role. But, over the entire season, he's best on the 3rd pair with the ability to move up. That's where you ideally want him.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

He...is a 5th in Vancouver. Fantenberg and Benn are definitely behind him on the depth chart. Edler, Hughes, Myers and Tanev ahead, Benn and Fantenberg behind. You can argue it's solely by default, but to argue he's 7th in that group is preposterous.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
For a short period of time he can move into that 2nd pair role. But, over the entire season, he's best on the 3rd pair with the ability to move up. That's where you ideally want him.

lol isnt that exactly what i said?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Hold your breath for the "likes" from Jets fans on this hot take. LOL

Really wasn't a hot take. But doubt they would value him better the guys they have now. Morrissey, Niku, Pionk, Heinola and poolman.

Kulikov, Bitetto, Beaulieu,Sbisa all free agents. With Kulikov being the most realistic resigning.?
Dahlstrom the definition of a
tweener.
How is Stanley coming along? Dylan samberg probably signs from Minnesota after his season. Kovacevic? Luke Green?
Might have misses somebody.

So getting stecher might make some sense.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Jets are looking for another dman, Stecher has been decent in limited minutes and was playing well in a top-4 role last year, and is an RFA at the end of the year w/ arbitration rights. What would be a potential return from Winnipeg?
They are probably looking for a top-2 D-man. Jets have plenty bottom-4 D already for this season and many more in the pipeline.
Not a Stecher expert, but based on TOI he is the Canucks #6D this season.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The Jets are good on Bottom pairing defensemen, they don't need another.

Reactions: Huffer

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Really wasn't a hot take. But doubt they would value him better the guys they have now. Morrissey, Niku, Pionk, Heinola and poolman.

Kulikov, Bitetto, Beaulieu,Sbisa all free agents. With Kulikov being the most realistic resigning.?
tweener.
How is Stanley coming along? Dylan samberg probably signs from Minnesota after his season. Kovacevic? Luke Green?

I think you've pretty much nailed it here. We view the future (maybe next year as):

JMo Poolman
Heinola Pionk
Samberg Niku
Stanley

in some combination.

What we need is a no doubt top 4 RHD, but ideally a top pair RHD.

Stecher doesn't really move the needle for me as he's in the same area of what we already have. IMO.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

tweener.

All pretty accurate.

Chance one of Kulikov/Bitetto/Beaulieu/Sbisa are resigned (I hope not but Chevy loves his plugs on D).

Stanley is coming along...ok... projecting as a bottom pair guy who MIGHT be able to swing as a 4 in a pinch, basically Tyler Myers 2.0 (*shudder*) if he hits his ceiling or an AHL player if he doesn't. Not a lot of high hopes, more like found money if he turns into something.

Problem is I don't see Stecher as a real improvement over them and not worth much in terms of assets, like I'd probably give a mid round pick as a flyer but cant see that as enough and that's fine. Bottom pair isn't a real issue for us.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad