Proposal: Stecher to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 324899

With Weber out and Petry likely being traded, the habs need a RHD to fill in currently with Fluery and Brook still developing. Is this trade something that MTL may be interested in right now and is the value fair?

To MTL
- T. Stecher

To Van
- D. Weise
- 2021 Habs Third Round Pick
-2020 Panthers Fifth Round Pick

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
With Weber out and Petry likely being traded, the habs need a RHD to fill in currently with Fluery and Brook still developing. Is this trade something that MTL may be interested in right now and is the value fair?

To MTL
- T. Stecher

To Van
- D. Weise

Who. I admit I have not watched many Canuck games but I barely know who he is. I knew his name was troy but could not have told you anything else about him. I doubt Petry gets traded, they have plenty of warm bodies who can fill in. 3rd and 5th round pick is not a lot but I don`t see MB spending picks on guys to fill in. He is a RFA don`t see him as much more than a 3rd pair guy-Habs have a ton of those.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

To MTL
- T. Stecher

To Van
- D. Weise

LOL, no that makes zero sense for the Habs. They can just fill out the lineup with AHL'ers.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We don't want Weise back.

Stecher is an expiring contract, so Montreal can dump ballast elsewhere or offer a better package to take Weise back.

I'd hope for a second, as agreed to with a few Vegas fans, but a third and fifth would probably be acceptable without Weise attached if my arm was twisted.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Stecher is an expiring contract, so Montreal can dump ballast elsewhere or offer a better package to take Weise back.

I'd hope for a second, as agreed to with a few Vegas fans, but a third and fifth would probably be acceptable without Weise attached if my arm was twisted.

Why are the Habs jettisoning Weise? Why would the Habs give up any draft picks to fill out the roster during a non-playoff year?

None of this makes any sense.

IF the Habs traded Petry and Weber is out, they would just suck really bad defensively. Stecher wouldn't change any of that.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Why are the Habs jettisoning Weise? Why would the Habs give up any draft picks to fill out the roster during a non-playoff year?

None of this makes any sense.

IF the Habs traded Petry and Weber is out, they would just suck really bad defensively. Stecher wouldn't change any of that.

I didn't give any thought to the scenario. The ones given by the OP have never really made any sense to me. I'm just laying out my thoughts on his proposal, which I'm commenting on because of my dislike of Weise's contract versus his production for us.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I didn't give any thought to the scenario. The ones given by the OP have never really made any sense to me. I'm just laying out my thoughts on his proposal, which I'm commenting on because of my dislike of Weise's contract versus his production for us.

I dislike Weise as well. He was in the AHL then called up due to the numerous injuries that derailed the Habs season. None of that changes the fact that the Habs have no need to trade for a bottom pairing dman to finish out the season when they can just promote AHLers. That's why they have an AHL affiliate.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I dislike Weise as well. He was in the AHL then called up due to the numerous injuries that derailed the Habs season. None of that changes the fact that the Habs have no need to trade for a bottom pairing dman to finish out the season when they can just promote AHLers. That's why they have an AHL affiliate.

No need to sell it to me, I'm with you, it makes no sense. I'm not pushing the proposal, just saying if it were my call, Weise would be a non-starter as part of a return.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Lol. Where did you read that Petry is likely being dealt? And seriously. Stetcher is a run of the mill bottom 4 guy. They can fill the hole internally just as well as with stetcher

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
If the Canucks can get a 3rd pairing or depth guy for the RD spot then im all for moving Stecher.

Though i think the Canucks have a lot of ties with Stecher so i dont think they would move him for scraps.

He is a hometown boy and also went to college and won a national championship with Brock Boeser. They are very close. I dont think Vancouver will rattle the dressing room like that mid season.

As i said though id be in favor of moving Stecher for a 2nd and a prospect then trading for someone like Dillon for a 4th a prospect.

Not interested tho in a straight swap for a 3rd and 5th round pick.

Benn would play either side on the 3rd pairing but with Fattenberg injured that would mean someone like brisbois, chatfield, sautner would be playing minutes.

Or force someone that needs more developing time like Rafferty/ Juolevi into the lineup

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Montreal doesn't need a stopgap (unless they move Petry) they'll run it out with who they have. They can also take cap dumps if they want more bodies.

Weise is an expiring contract too. And a lottery team isn't going to give up picks for a rental.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Weise
is an expiring contract too. And a lottery team isn't going to give up picks for a rental.

That's fine, but Stechers contribution to our team would far outweigh Weise's, we have a tone of forwards (including three coming off the IR in short order) and Weise would just be a bench filler forcing us to waive him or someone more valuable. He is in every possible way a detriment to us, and not simply a cap dump. In addition, one of the motivating factors in trading Stecher is cap space being needed for other moves.

There is no way we can take him back, and Juno has been clear in demonstrating there is no incentive for Montreal to trade for Stecher from the Canadians perspective either.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Montreal doesn't need a stopgap (unless they move Petry) they'll run it out with who they have. They can also take cap dumps if they want more bodies.

Weise is an expiring contract too. And a lottery team isn't going to give up picks for a rental.

Stecher is not a rental. His contract is expiring but club still holds rights as an RFA.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
well pardon me for replying about Stecher in a thread about Stecher to Montreal.

I think its time for the Nucks to shell out picks / prospects to rid them of some bad contracts. The shear amount of deadweight is unacceptable. Every team has 1 or 2 bad contracts, but the Nucks have way too many.

Habs would take a bad contract for 1 season (like Mason) with a good prospect / pick attached. This thread is better off transitioning to the Nucks jettisoning bad contracts.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think its time for the Nucks to shell out picks / prospects to rid them of some bad contracts. The shear amount of deadweight is unacceptable. Every team has 1 or 2 bad contracts, but the Nucks have way too many.

Habs would take a bad contract for 1 season (like Mason) with a good prospect / pick attached. This thread is better off transitioning to the Nucks jettisoning bad contracts.

Maybe if we werent in a playoff position. but most of the so called bad contracts have put in their share to help get the Canucks where they are.

Our worst contracts are off the books in 2 years. Were fine standing pat as out core is young.

In 2 years, lots of money will open up and we can support the studs even better.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

Says who? Last week, club was on record that Petry and Tatar weren't being shopped. Prolonged absence of Weber doesn't exactly change that.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Stecher is a good 4/5 who gives it his all every shift and is generally very healthy. He's young and (IMO) should not be traded unless the deal is in a package for an upgrade. Or maybe a 2nd plus a small add. Only reason he is on the block is that he's sort of stagnated under Green and we have Rafferty, Tryamkin and Woo as RHD who could join the team in the next year (or in the case of Woo, after 1-2 seasons in the AHL). Unfortunately Benning has put himself in a bit of a bind cap-wise as well.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Seems like a poor time for Montreal to be trading picks for replacement level players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->