Steblick's CHL Sleepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I wrote this before the recent spate of comments came out from scouting services but couldn't post due to computer troubles. Obviously some of the scouts from these services were at the games I was...

Anyway...

QMJHL-
Matheiu Roy (Bathurst)- Why isn't this guy considered a top 50 pick? He's got skill, speed, grit and he was by far the dominant player on his team. BIG time sleeper.

Oscar Bartulis (Moncton)- Heady and steady. He has the poised all-around game that translates well- although not spectacularly- to the next level.

Greg O'Brien (PEI)- He was really starting to bang, crash and get results towards the end of the regular season. Could be a late riser.

OHL-
Steve Downie (Windsor)- He WIIL make it. He's a character guy who does what it takes to win. He's neither big nor pretty but he gets results. If Matt Cooke can do it...

Kevin Beech (Sudbury)- Has looked way more poised and in control recently than earlier in the season when he seemed to be all nervy and full of unnecessary movement.

Trevor Koverko (Owen Sound)- Starting to think the game well and use his body with some authority. Became noticeable in the homestretch.

Josh Beaulieu (London)- Reminds me a little of Downie- a hard worker and irritant with the potential to put up some numbers once London's big shots graduate.

Geoff Killing (Belleville)- Best 4 point scorer in the CHL. Just a rock defensively- very poised and tough. Virtually no offensive imagination though.

WHL-

Jeff May (Prince Albert)- Looks more polished every time I see him. Steady improvement, visible physical growth, and lack of a single weakness make him a real sleeper.

Brodie Dupont (Calgary)- Looks like a pro- strong, physical and a decent skater who is starting to show that he can put up some points too. Character guy.

Ray Macias (Kamloops)- Got off to a bad start and Redline don't like him. BUT- he really started to find his role in the 2nd half although, like everyone says, he'd best stay at one position. A great skater and thinker- he'll never be a grinder but sometimes you need these elegant, cerebral players on your team too.

Tyler Plante (Brandon)- Economical, stand-up goalie who is not spectacular but does what he has to and does it well. Simply LOOKS older than 17 between the pipes. Should be a top 60 pick.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Re: Roy, it's because the Titans were SO bad it was very difficult for anybody to look good.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca
I really like Koverko. He's not flashy or very noticable if you're not looking for him, he just gets it done and makes nice safe, smart plays in the process. Very steady defender, and looks surprisingly calm for a rookie.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
steblick said:
I wrote this before the recent spate of comments came out from scouting services but couldn't post due to computer troubles. Obviously some of the scouts from these services were at the games I was...

:shakehead

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
I agree with Bartulis. I like his game. Seems to play a good all-around game. With a bigger role in Moncton next year, I think he could put up some nice numbers offensively which complement his game nicely.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Quiet Robert said:
I agree with Bartulis. I like his game. Seems to play a good all-around game. With a bigger role in Moncton next year, I think he could put up some nice numbers offensively which complement his game nicely.

He's already #2 there, not much bigger to go. I'm not 100% sure Saunders leaves this year. I suspect he'll play pretty similar role next season.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Matt MacInnis said:
He's already #2 there, not much bigger to go. I'm not 100% sure Saunders leaves this year. I suspect he'll play pretty similar role next season.

I thought that Saunders could be gone. I don't follow the Ducks so I don't know if they plan on signing him. Saunders will be an overager next year, right? I thought maybe he gets a spot in Cincinnati or a chance in the echl. You might be right though, the Ducks have some defensemen ahead of him so he could be back in the Q.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Vinland said:
steblick said:
I wrote this before ...

:shakehead
Why the shaking head? You don't believe me? Or are you regretting that I didn't write this earlier (as I had planned)?

The truth is, if a bunch of scouts and other hockey people see a game where Roy gets 4 goals or Koverko plays like a rock it's not only ISS or Redline or McKeen's that will say "Hmmm- there might be something here". It's not as if these players' performances are state secrets. I saw them play a few times recently, they looked good and, not surprisingly, some of the rating services thought so too.
On the other hand some players I haven't seen enough of to make a comment on- so I didn't.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Vinland said:
More about the ego it takes to make them comments. Especially when you have no apparent clue where the different agencies had guys for months. It is easy to say “I was going to post this†months after it appears elsewhere.
Also where do you have Macias? I wonder if it is higher than others.
The point is you named guys who have appeared at least in Red Line for months. Don’t try to take some bizarre credit now.

Actually I do know ISS, CSB and McKeen's rankings and I feel that they have underrated these players until now- which is of course a criterion for calling them sleepers- with the caveat that one of these services did raise both Roy and Koverko up since I made my sleepers list (quite possibly seeing the same games I did). As for Redline, they have a list of about 300 players, right? I have no doubt these guys are on that list- I'm just saying that they may have been overlooked by some agencies and other hockey people, in short the buzz on these players is IMO not as big as it should be. It's not like I'm claiming to be the only one in the world who knows these guys or that I discovered them.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring ego (and thus personal feelings) into this- I'm just explaining the basis for my post on some guys who I feel have (had) been overlooked until now. To be frank, comments like yours make me less inclined to post my opinions- which I think are at least reasonably well-informed. If you feel that these players can't really be called sleepers, fine- please say that and explain why. No need to be insulting.

I'd put Macias in the very early 2nd round.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Quiet Robert said:
I thought that Saunders could be gone. I don't follow the Ducks so I don't know if they plan on signing him. Saunders will be an overager next year, right? I thought maybe he gets a spot in Cincinnati or a chance in the echl. You might be right though, the Ducks have some defensemen ahead of him so he could be back in the Q.

He could for sure, it would be his overage year, just like you said.

And Francois Caron, current overager, would be gone, but that might give Bartulis an extra minute per game on the PP.

I'm just saying I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Saunders is gone. That said, you could be right. Either way Bartulis is a good pick for anyone in 2005, wherever he goes (if there is a draft, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad