Steblick's 2006 Draft Top 70+ Picks

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Blew Smoke said:
Two questions for you - if a team had a high 2nd round pick and is greatly in need of a large shut down blue liner - who would you put your coin on Steblick? If there was one dman you would consider overpaying for besides EJ, who would that be?
Ty Wishart (is the answer to both questions). People who saw him at the W18s on TV for the first time saw him trying to be a little too cool, a little passive, even a bit cerebral, as if he didn't have to use all the gears. But those who saw him play all year in the WHL know what he is capable of- size, strength, poise (!), and tremendous smarts as a 17 year old.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Steblick,

Do you think the big ice played a significant role in Wishart's performance? How much stock should we put in his showing at the U18's?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
katodelder said:
Steblick,

Do you think the big ice played a significant role in Wishart's performance? How much stock should we put in his showing at the U18's?

Some, of course, but not too much. I got the impression that he was trying toomuch to be in control, patient, cool--- as captain---and he lost his game rhythym because the ice size demanded more productive and attacking, not reactive, movement.
Some U18 performances are definitive (to see how players match up against the best at a big tournament) but for others it's an extra 6 games on their schedule. I think Wishart learned from it and can do better at the WJCs next year but the tourney also showed me the limitations of some other Canadians (and others) who underperformed (see some of my previous comments to find out who).

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
I would guess you mean Maxwell, Emmerton, and Shutron in addition to Wishart.

I have a feeling Americans, especially from the NTDP, could fill up half of the first round this year.

A couple of Canadians who did catch my eye at the U-18s were:

F Justin Azevedo (Kitchener) Feb-17-88, 5'6", 168lb, R
F Francois Bouchard -- Pierre-Marc's brother -- Apr-26-88 (Baie-Comeau) 6'0", 180lb, L
D Matthew Corrente (Saginaw) Mar-17-88, 6'0", 196lb, R
(2007 eligible) D Keaton Ellerby (Kamloops) Nov-5-88, 6'3", 183lb, L (impressed me the most; very interested on any thoughts you have on him, since you follow the 'Dub' closely.)

On a side note, how much of a factor do think the WHL not adopting the same obstruction standards as the OHL and QMJHL this season will play at the Memorial Cup? Despite the roll they're on, could the Giants get into a world of penalty trouble in Moncton?

Cheers.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
steblick said:
BTW- I like Foligno because he's a well-rounded, consummate pro-type player. He plays hard in all 3 zones and is very, very hockey smart. I've seen him stickhandle through opposition, powerskate his way to the net, knock his man down along the boards to gain control and take the puck out of a crowd (he's particularly good in crowds and in tight). He's intense and emotional (even dirty)- the latter quality being his biggest weakness right now, a bit of on-ice immaturity and lack of discipline at times. Other players really hate to play against him (i've heard it said on many occasions).

Sounds like his dad! ;)

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
steblick said:
Ooops. Nyholm. And I didn't forget Nystrom either- yup his OT goal won the Islanders their first Cup.

BTW- I like Foligno because he's a well-rounded, consummate pro-type player. He plays hard in all 3 zones and is very, very hockey smart. I've seen him stickhandle through opposition, powerskate his way to the net, knock his man down along the boards to gain control and take the puck out of a crowd (he's particularly good in crowds and in tight). He's intense and emotional (even dirty)- the latter quality being his biggest weakness right now, a bit of on-ice immaturity and lack of discipline at times. Other players really hate to play against him (i've heard it said on many occasions).

If Foligno is somehow on the board at 37 (assuming the Bruins don't sign Lars Jonsson and get that comp. selection awarded them) I could see Scott Bradley taking him. He's already drafted the sons of former Adams Division rivals Peter Stastny, Pierre Mondou and Ben Walter, so adding Mike Foligno's kid seems like a natural move. Of course, he looks like a player (and probably not going to be there) too, which certainly helps.

I know the Bruins have looked at Sudbury quite a bit, because they've been following '04 eighth-round pick Anton Hedman's progress, so Foligno is no doubt someone they have a good handle on.

Jack Splat

Apr 8, 2006
Hershey, PA
steblick said:
69. Ratchuk- Looking for a quick, agile, but undersized puck-carrying defender with top level vision? Here’s your man.

Is he related to Peter Ratchuk (drafted 25th overall in 1996)? Sounds like a mirror image. Peter's skills never managed to translate to the NHL, though.

Fie

May 12, 2006
SWEDEN
Kirill Tulupov!
Any body who knows more about that player?
I know he played i the UVM in Sweden i April but I want to know more about him!
Any bode who can help me?
Please...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->