Steblick's 2006 Draft Top 70+ Picks

C-Saku Koivu MTL said:
could anyone give me information on this Clutterbuck guy. Solid numbers, seems very agressive with his PIM at 139. A bit on the small size. Does he have good speed, hands, hockey sense and vision. Could he become a Brenden Morrow type or not that good. Does he has that potential or more of a Tucker type guy. Thanks.

I think he's maybe a bit more like Raffi Torres. He has a big shot (hardest at the Prospects Game) and works hard around the net and could score a few goals in the NHL but probably won't be a huge point producer.

X-SHARKIE

Pipeandin said:
X-Sharkie, I to was at that game and Williams did play better than Johnson. But who cares it was one game? And Williams was playing against his future team. Like you have said previously you only saw Williams play against Wisco and MSOE(big deal). That cannot be used to judge if Williams is a top 10 pick. From what I am reading he was unimpressive when he played at U18s. He's Boom or Bust. Im leaning on the bust side but who knows what could happen. You seem to be very very high on Williams. I am just wondering, why?. Do you see him as the best d-man in draft? top 5 top 10? biggest upside? Just trying to get a feel. Thanks

Well i've seen him more than just those two games. I dont' still don't think he's the best defenseman in the draft, I have him behind Wishart, Johnson, Sanguinetti, and possibly McBain amongst a few others. I have him top 20 range. I like his upside a lot. He reminds me a bit of Brent Burns when he played defense, great frame with incredible skill and skating ability. However he isn't very physical and lacks those instinct it takes. He could use some maturity but the raw package is intriguing.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
The fact that Kessel is right away ranked above EJ and Toews makes me immeadiately question this thread's integrity.

The fact that Kessel is ranked 2nd-4th by both ISS and CSB should be a good suggestion that he is not 1st overall calibur. Erik Johnson is a good #1 overall pick. Give him that credit, he is a better propect than Kessel.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Attica said:
The fact that Kessel is right away ranked above EJ and Toews makes me immeadiately question this thread's integrity.

The fact that Kessel is ranked 2nd-4th by both ISS and CSB should be a good suggestion that he is not 1st overall calibur. Erik Johnson is a good #1 overall pick. Give him that credit, he is a better propect than Kessel.
So, integrity means copying the rankings of other scouts or scouting services??? :dunno:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
steblick said:
So, integrity means copying the rankings of other scouts or scouting services??? :dunno:

Haha, his post makes me question his posting integrity.

I agree with you right here. Why should you sit there and copy what others feel when you are postin gwhat you feel and have done for years now?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
steblick said:

Seriously, steblick... you should be ashamed of yourself. We don't need any original thinking here. It's much more meaningful if you were to average the rankings from all the other scouting services, rank them accordingly, and claim credit.

Tsk tsk!

X-SHARKIE

steblick said:

That's why I like you Steblick, you give an unbiased opinion which is needed and scouts that think like you are the ones who find the gems. Some people want rankings that reflect others opinions. For example, you may not agree with me, but I have Backstrom at #2 with Kessel at three and I have justifiable reasons IMO, I also think Jamie McGinn is a top 15 pick and I think Okposo is a better package than Jordan Staal, but i'm sure people will say I don't know squat (mabey :) ) but at least it's my opinion and not Redline or ISS's.

Great work Steblick, I was actually going to send you a pm and ask you if you planned on doing your list again, always a great read as your European coverage is better than any scouting service IMO. :handclap:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I don't want to take any thunder away from the excellent (as always) job that steblick did, but X, when are you putting out your rankings this year?

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Wow, that was an absolutely amazing read and it probably took you forever to put it together. Thank you very much for the obvious hard work that you put into making this list. I can't believe that I've been a huge fan of the NHL Draft for years but yet have never visited these boards until just the past couple of days, I feel like I no right to be making mocks anymore because the people here are so smart.

I am curious though to find out your thoughts on Milan Lucic for the Vancouver Giants. I've seen him play in person and on TV quite a few times and he's been moving up draft boards now for a while and is having a very good playoffs for Vancouver this year. Do you see him making it into the 2nd round if his run of good play continues and how do you think he'll project to the NHL level? What do you feel are his strengths and weaknesses. I love his work ethic and think he has good offensive upside but it's hard to judge because of the role he fills on the team. As a 3rd/4th liner it's hard to get a really good feel for him since he doesn't play as much as some of the other top prospects from the WHL.

leafaholix*

X-SHARKIE said:
That's why I like you Steblick, you give an unbiased opinion which is needed and scouts that think like you are the ones who find the gems. Some people want rankings that reflect others opinions. For example, you may not agree with me, but I have Backstrom at #2 with Kessel at three and I have justifiable reasons IMO, I also think Jamie McGinn is a top 15 pick and I think Okposo is a better package than Jordan Staal, but i'm sure people will say I don't know squat (mabey :) ) but at least it's my opinion and not Redline or ISS's.

Great work Steblick, I was actually going to send you a pm and ask you if you planned on doing your list again, always a great read as your European coverage is better than any scouting service IMO. :handclap:
it's been 3 years, for the love of god, please learn how to spell MAYBE.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Jovofan said:
I am curious though to find out your thoughts on Milan Lucic for the Vancouver Giants. I've seen him play in person and on TV quite a few times and he's been moving up draft boards now for a while and is having a very good playoffs for Vancouver this year. Do you see him making it into the 2nd round if his run of good play continues and how do you think he'll project to the NHL level? What do you feel are his strengths and weaknesses. I love his work ethic and think he has good offensive upside but it's hard to judge because of the role he fills on the team. As a 3rd/4th liner it's hard to get a really good feel for him since he doesn't play as much as some of the other top prospects from the WHL.
Lucic is an imposing presence and I've seen him have shifts where he has the opposition looking over their shoulders after some mammoth hits, changing the atmosphere of the game. But his foot speed and agility is a real problem. My question is- how long has he been skating and playing hockey? If he's relatively new to the game he may well improve his skating. If not, I'd say it's a big, big drawback at this point.

Matrix

Dec 16, 2005
Montreal
Does those kinds of tremendous lists need to be sticky??? I think they do, when comes draft time, I don't want to have to search for those lists within all those mock draft and lists.

But that kind of tremendous work should be in a sticky mode if you ask me

Good work!

P.S. My biggest concern right now is we kind of keep hearing that the Habs will draft a d-men based on their needs right now and Wishart would be the pick if he's still there. But the way he played at the U-18 made me think he's not that safe after all. Seemed lost most of the time, was actually thinking of Patrick Traverse when I saw him. I may be harsh, and based myself on those 2 games I saw but will that list you just made, I do believe there's better players to choose than him.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
steblick said:
Third are ranking services, such as CSB, Redline, ISS, McKeen’s, Top Guns.

Appreciate that you were one of the first HF posters to give Young Guns Hockey a fair shake. I cracked up at the little error in your post though. "Top Guns"!?!? Maybe I should change my User Name to Iceman! :D

Always enjoy reading your posts and get a kick out of our agreements (I've personally got Helenius in my Top 15) and our differences (Williams is still in my Top 20).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
clay said:
Why do you even have Frolik so low anyway?

I don't know, because he's completely underwhelmed everyone in his play at the WJCs and has had a pretty bad year in the Czech league? Why is he rated high by anyones standards?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jon Prescription said:
I don't know, because he's completely underwhelmed everyone in his play at the WJCs and has had a pretty bad year in the Czech league? Why is he rated high by anyones standards?

No kidding. It kills me how many continue to give Frolik the benefit of the doubt but rip a guy like Kessel who actually produced at a high level in his league and in international play.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Great job, Steblick. I always enjoy reading your draft analysis every year. As a Ducks fan, assuming they have the 20th pick, which of the players in the general range of the 17th-to-23rd range would you select? (My guess is you'll say Best Player Available, which would be the kid with the highest ranking on your list who is still "on the board".)

So, perhaps, I should re-phrase the question: in light of the type of team that Brian Burke is building, which of these kids best fits the Brian Burke mold and/or would be the most likely to be drafted by the Ducks?

Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
No kidding. It kills me how many continue to give Frolik the benefit of the doubt but rip a guy like Kessel who actually produced at a high level in his league and in international play.

True, but you are not going to compare College hockey to the Czech Extraliga, are you. ;)

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Kick Save said:
Great job, Steblick. I always enjoy reading your draft analysis every year. As a Ducks fan, assuming they have the 20th pick, which of the players in the general range of the 17th-to-23rd range would you select? (My guess is you'll say Best Player Available, which would be the kid with the highest ranking on your list who is still "on the board".)

So, perhaps, I should re-phrase the question: in light of the type of team that Brian Burke is building, which of these kids best fits the Brian Burke mold and/or would be the most likely to be drafted by the Ducks?

Keep up the good work. Thanks.
This is just my opinion obviously and I'm sure steblick can give you a more detailed answer but after having Burke as our GM for a number of years I have a feeling that he may be looking at Little if he's there or Clutterbuck who seems to be a Brian Burke player. He really likes safe picks and rarely takes huge leaps of faith with his higher round picks.

X-SHARKIE

PhoPhan said:
I don't want to take any thunder away from the excellent (as always) job that steblick did, but X, when are you putting out your rankings this year?

I'm going to spend the next month watching the games on tape that I have over and solidify my rankings, there are some interesting toss ups for me right now that I want to solve.

I say late May,

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Jon Prescription said:
Haha, his post makes me question his posting integrity.

I agree with you right here. Why should you sit there and copy what others feel when you are postin gwhat you feel and have done for years now?

Sorryto make an example of you... but why do you guys kiss so much ***? I appreciate Steblick's posts myself, but we have no way of knowing whether he's an actual scout or a 16-year-old autistic kid with a big obsession. Sorry Steblick, but I'm from NY, so I take nothing at face-value; I'm sure you understand.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BobMarleyNYR said:
Sorryto make an example of you... but why do you guys kiss so much ***? I appreciate Steblick's posts myself, but we have no way of knowing whether he's an actual scout or a 16-year-old autistic kid with a big obsession. Sorry Steblick, but I'm from NY, so I take nothing at face-value; I'm sure you understand.

I'm not sure what the differance is between a pro scout and a 16-year-old autistic kid with a big obsession.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad