Steblick does an early top 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Gwyddbwyll said:
I have been watching out for him. Playing with a lot of top talent but holding his own.

Checking IIHF, Tom Carlon must be the draft eligible guy. Lots of potential but he never plays at a high level (only plays in the third tier in England and the top two tiers aint that great to begin with)

They serve tea instead of Gatorade right?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Doomsday Device said:
Thanks, Kohn sounds similar to Mike Green last year, perhaps not as good a skater though.

Green's intensity, physical game, and overall defensive game are on a considerably higher level.

I'd compare Kohn more to guys like Brendan Bell and Nathan Paetsch. Somewhat undersized skill guys who were very good all-around defenders in jr. but lack any one skill that jumps out as pro calibre (size/shot/grit/skating/etc). Usually these sort of guys seem to become very good AHL players but struggle to make the next step.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
MS said:
Green's intensity, physical game, and overall defensive game are on a considerably higher level.

I'd compare Kohn more to guys like Brendan Bell and Nathan Paetsch. Somewhat undersized skill guys who were very good all-around defenders in jr. but lack any one skill that jumps out as pro calibre (size/shot/grit/skating/etc). Usually these sort of guys seem to become very good AHL players but struggle to make the next step.

Good call MS. I was about to make the same point.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
steblick said:
Right now I'm in Slovenia at the U18 Level 2s wondering if Belarus' Sharhei Kosistsyn should be on that top 60 list or not. There's even a French and a British guy here who could be late rounders.

Are there others that could be possible draft picks? I'm thinking Slovenia is a one-man-show but are there other players from Belarus than Kostitsyn? Kazakhstan?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
steblick said:
4. Kohn doesn't really excite me, although others speak glowingly of him. He has good puck instincts and looks poised (only 2 Calgary viewings plus Prospects' game, mind you) but I don't see what in his game can translate to the big leagues. He's not strong or physical or a rock in his zone and his offensive instincts are not at the level where you would overlook the muscle, defense etc.
But those of you who've seen him more than I may differ and I'm happy to hear your opinions.

I like him a lot. Get to see him quite a bit. He makes a fantastic first pass. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've noticed him botch an outlet. Great mobility and skating. Decent shot. He's not overly physical in his own zone but he contains his men well. In terms of style he reminds me of Toni Lydman. I like him more than Mike Green who went 1st round last year.

I think he definitely goes in the top 60. I think he might sneak into the 1st round.

He outplayed Seabrook in the two games I saw last series. He was named the Hitmen's best defenseman this year ahead of Schultz and collected 43 points this year which is good for 4th on the team (and 14 points ahead of Jeff Schultz who is a pretty decent puck mover as well.)

Last edited:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
MS said:

I think Kohn's puck rushing and puck outletting skills stand out as pro calibre. So does his skating. He's averaged size but ends up looking smaller than he is because he's often paired with a taller defensemen like Schultz (6'6). I don't think the size is a huge issue, he isn't any smaller than guys like Leopold or Lydman IMO.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Fredrik said:
Are there others that could be possible draft picks? I'm thinking Slovenia is a one-man-show but are there other players from Belarus than Kostitsyn? Kazakhstan?

Unlikely. Even the guys I had here as borderline players didn't keep their level of play up (with one game left). One goalie intrigues me though- and I'm keeping mum on this one. A few 2006 possibilities (Czech junior fans may know of Hungarian prospect David Jobb- although Hungary isn't at this tournament) are here though- I'll keep their names on file.

There is a concurrent tournament running in Poland (same level) where this a buzz (a colleague is at that tourney) about a 6'3 195 DF from the Ukraine named Phillip Ogreznev though who should be a CHL import and mid-late NHL pick. And Latvia has some decent 2006 prospects. I've seen those teams and players before too and agree on Ogreznev.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
jcpenny said:
To the people who know Alex Bourret, Does he have enough vision and hands to be a top 2 center in the NHL?

He has enough vision and hands to be a first line center in the NHL.

This guy is not a Jordin Tootoo #2. He's very, very good offensively, he can dangle with the best of them.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
steblick said:
Unlikely. Even the guys I had here as borderline players didn't keep their level of play up (with one game left). One goalie intrigues me though- and I'm keeping mum on this one. A few 2006 possibilities (Czech junior fans may know of Hungarian prospect David Jobb- although Hungary isn't at this tournament) are here though- I'll keep their names on file.

Not many goalies at this tournament. ;)

steblick said:
There is a concurrent tournament running in Poland (same level) where this a buzz (a colleague is at that tourney) about a 6'3 195 DF from the Ukraine named Phillip Ogreznev though who should be a CHL import and mid-late NHL pick. And Latvia has some decent 2006 prospects. I've seen those teams and players before too and agree on Ogreznev.

I've heard the Latvians think their 1988 age group is one of the strongest since independence. The name I have noticed is Kaspars Daugavins. Would be interesting to hear if he is a legitimate NHL prospect.

A separate question that's a little OT in this topic is how good these teams really are. I know Kazakhstan is virtually a club team so I'm thinking teams from the best European junior leagues would be able to compete at this level.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
steblick said:

Yes, David Jobb has mostly played for Sparta Prague midget team this season.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
In these lower-level tournaments it is VERY difficult to get an accurate read on players. Some dominate here but simply don't/can't take it up a level. Others who display the same amount of skill at these tourneys do (Bartulis, Kopitar). Of course, ranking these guys is a real crapshoot until you see Kopitar in Sodertalje and Bartulis in Moncton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->