steblick does a BM (early draft top 10)

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
...meaning a "Bob Mackenzie".

You know how Bob doesn't see all the players but has a lot of insider hockey contacts and still manages to come out with pretty accurate rankings? Well, I'd like to think that I see more games than Bob but also have my ear to the ground and more than a few contacts.

So, here's who I think would go top 10- in order- if the 2007 draft were to be held tomorrow (not my own top 10 but these are the names getting the best reviews around hockey circles so far):
1. Kyle Turris
2. James Van Riemsdyk
3. Angelo Esposito
4. Yuri Cherepanov (if all things are smooth with his Russian club/federation)
5. Logan Couture
6. Jakub Voracek
7. Karl Alzner
8. Luca Kunti (it's spelled with a C)
9. Keaton Ellerby
10. Sam Gagner

Obviously this will change. If Colton Gillies starts finding the scoresheet watch his name climb up the list.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Wow. Has Backlund fallen that far already? I saw him last year and thought that he was a shoe in for #1 but he just hasn't done much this year (stat-wise I haven't seen him play yet this year).

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Wow. Has Backlund fallen that far already? I saw him last year and thought that he was a shoe in for #1 but he just hasn't done much this year (stat-wise I haven't seen him play yet this year).

He said he has been battling with a knee injury since summer training. Some kind of infection to his knee, that does not allow him to play the way he wants.

That said, Backlund has accomplished nothing so far. I watched the recent international u18 tournament in Piteå (Sweden), where Backlund was outshined by more or less everyone. The top forward of the entire tournament was swiss player Luca Kunti along with Swedish 90-born Mattias Tedenby (who was really dominant).

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
Hello Steblick, beside Alzner and Ellerby, which Defenders could go round 1. And also which Defenders could rise over the next months and which could fall. Thanks

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Tri-City has a huge defenseman with tons of skill in Juraj Valach. The way we have seen big men go early, I can see this guy going top 15 even top 10. He's different though. He plays like a 6'6'' Brent Seabrook, as he's a guy that can log a ton of minutes, is VERY mobile, and relies on his skating ability and positioning to defend moreso that using a physically punishing style. My hope is for this guy to pull together some resemblance of an edge and progress ala Fedor Tyutin on the NYR. In that case, he may be an unreal prospect on defense. What makes me think this guy is the real deal is his confidence. He is sooo sure of himself when the puck is on his stick like all great players. Looks like a definate sleeper and I'm just waiting for the word to get out on him. Unless I'm mistaken and have missed it.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Luca "K"unti, if he is bona fide, will wreak havoc with hfboards' swear filter for years. I wonder if any moderators have a plan to deal with this...?

It has to be said though, very few Swiss players have had an impact in the NHL. Two goalies, one defenceman (Mark Streit) and that's it. On the other hand, before Anze Kopitar, no Slovenian had ever made an impact in the NHL either.

Does anyone know anything about the guy? I think he's a defenceman, but that's all I know right now.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

You know how Bob doesn't see all the players but has a lot of insider hockey contacts and still manages to come out with pretty accurate rankings? Well, I'd like to think that I see more games than Bob but also have my ear to the ground and more than a few contacts.

So, here's who I think would go top 10- in order- if the 2007 draft were to be held tomorrow (not my own top 10 but these are the names getting the best reviews around hockey circles so far):
1. Kyle Turris
2. James Van Riemsdyk
3. Angelo Esposito
5. Logan Couture
6. Jakub Voracek
7. Karl Alzner
9. Keaton Ellerby
10. Sam Gagner

Obviously this will change. If Colton Gillies starts finding the scoresheet watch his name climb up the list.

Wow Turris #1. I've only read stuff about him but he sounds like he has an 'electric' type game. I have not heard much of Cherepanov...what type of player is he?

Transported Upstater

Luca "K"unti, if he is bona fide, will wreak havoc with hfboards' swear filter for years. I wonder if any moderators have a plan to deal with this...?

You bring up a good point, and one that I'll bring up with the mods.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site

1. Kyle Turris
2. James Van Riemsdyk
3. Angelo Esposito
5. Logan Couture
6. Jakub Voracek
7. Karl Alzner
9. Keaton Ellerby
10. Sam Gagner

I highly doubt Turris goes #1. Not that I don't like him as a player, but the level of competition he faces night in, night out simply isn't as good.
I know he's done well in international competition for Canada. I simply cannot fathom a BCHL player being drafted first overall. I would imagine scouts still consider him a bit of a risk in that high a position, as they do (although it's getting better) with high USHL draft picks, before they've had a chance to go up against NCAA competition on a consistent basis.

This is not to knock Turris, or the BCHL. I would love to see it happen, as I've been a fan of the league for years... But I just don't see it happening at #1.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hello Steblick, beside Alzner and Ellerby, which Defenders could go round 1. And also which Defenders could rise over the next months and which could fall. Thanks

Well, as long as Petrecki continues to play his brand of INCREDIBLY solid, mean, defensive hockey, he will likely go top 10 based on his rock solid skills and his simple safe development.

If he finds his offensive stride this year (which is the real key to him going top 5 or even top 3) than he will skyrocket in the rankings.

Right now, Petrecki is playing some of the best hockey in his life and has been just ridiculously solid in the USHL on the defensive end. His offense is a bit erratic, but the skills (including an absolute cannon of a shot) are there. He just needs to hone them in.

If he CAN find that offense, he has Stevens-like potential in the NHL. He's improved his on ice smarts tenfold over the last year and a half (and that was another major area he was questioned on).

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Well, as long as Petrecki continues to play his brand of INCREDIBLY solid, mean, defensive hockey, he will likely go top 10 based on his rock solid skills and his simple safe development.

If he finds his offensive stride this year (which is the real key to him going top 5 or even top 3) than he will skyrocket in the rankings.

Right now, Petrecki is playing some of the best hockey in his life and has been just ridiculously solid in the USHL on the defensive end. His offense is a bit erratic, but the skills (including an absolute cannon of a shot) are there. He just needs to hone them in.

Not to hi-jack the thread - which is very interesting - but how has LaPoint looked in the USHL? Just curious as to how he is handling the play at that level given the expectation he could be pretty dominant. How do he and Petrecki compare given they both play there (recognizing they are a draft year apart)?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not to hi-jack the thread - which is very interesting - but how has LaPoint looked in the USHL? Just curious as to how he is handling the play at that level given the expectation he could be pretty dominant. How do he and Petrecki compare given they both play there (recognizing they are a draft year apart)?

Simply put, he looks fantastic. He's been fairly dominating. I wish he'd use his size more, but I don't think that he needs to in his game since he's such a smart/skilled player.

He's a steal. I can't believe he dropped as far as he did.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Does anyone know anything about the guy? I think he's a defenceman, but that's all I know right now.

As meantioned, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i is a forward. He has very nice skills set, he can stickhandle through any defenseman and seems to find his teammates open easily. I agree that in the new NHL he should be a first round pick. Not it's not just size and stregth.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well done top ten---HOWEVER--Couture still is getting back to full health from his missing 6 weeks with mono --he's slowly getting better every game but is not yet back to 100% top shape --after another month he should be--so we'll then see if he rises back again to the very top...

As for Turris--I liked him as a front-runner on my list since I first saw him last season...yes I know it almost impossible to put a BCHL'er into the top ten,let alone at #1 as Steblick has him on this list --however,you must remember that the consensus of scouts rates this as just a below par to "average draft --with below average depth from the OHL Sweden and Finland than normal --and if there is any strength to this draft it is tilted to a number of good (but not franchise) d-men --especially from the WHL....so--considering the weakness of forward depth it is inevitable that the spotlight has to search the Jr. A' leagues for more talent....In a stronger draft year for top ten talent and a stronger year for first round forward talent,perhaps Turris doesn't get into such a spotlight because he "only" plays in the BCHL...but also consider: he's going to be a gem in the NCAA when he plays for Wisconsin next year--and we saw how high Kessel and Toews went as NCAA "stars"--so I wouldn't hold it against Turris that he currently plays as a BCHL'er--because the fact is that the BCHL is now supplying quite a contingent of future NCAA talent --as do the other jr. A leagues...and just because guys play Jr. A to preserve their NCAA eligibility doesn't mean they also wouldn't be stars if they played major Jr. instead.

Thus if Turris sets a precedent for the draft of removing the stigma from Jr. 'A as inferior competition -that will be a good thing! From then on scouts can do what they are supposed to do-project the best possible talent --regardless of league or country of origin (as Kopitar broke that barrier last year)...
with its "inferior" level of competition

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Just for the sake of argument, here is my current list:

1. James Van Riemsdyk
2. Jakub Voracek
3. Karl Alzner
4. Luca C.unti
5. Kyle Turris
6. Angelo Esposito
7. Nick Petrecki
8. Logan Couture
9. Sam Gagner
10. Sergei Korostin

HM: Keaton Ellerby, Pat Kane, Colton Gillies, Bill Sweatt, Mark Katic

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Just for the sake of argument, here is my current list:

1. James Van Riemsdyk
2. Jakub Voracek
3. Karl Alzner
4. Luca C-unti
5. Kyle Turris
6. Angelo Esposito
7. Nick Petrecki
8. Logan Couture
9. Sam Gagner
10. Sergei Korostin

HM: Keaton Ellerby, Pat Kane, Colton Gillies, Bill Sweatt, Mark Katic

Have you heard anything about Van Riemsdyk's chances at making the WJC squad?

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Hey guys,

Luca C unti is the real deal, I remember watching him last season at the Viking Cup and he was one of the best players there as a 15/16 year old.

I think he is listed around 6"0, but I remember him being more like 6"2 or 6"3. Great speed and a nice set of hands, should be a first rounder.....I'm not so sure he can be in the top ten just yet though.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Well done top ten---HOWEVER--Couture still is getting back to full health from his missing 6 weeks with mono --he's slowly getting better every game but is not yet back to 100% top shape --after another month he should be--so we'll then see if he rises back again to the very top...

As for Turris--I liked him as a front-runner on my list since I first saw him last season...yes I know it almost impossible to put a BCHL'er into the top ten,let alone at #1 as Steblick has him on this list --however,you must remember that the consensus of scouts rates this as just a below par to "average draft --with below average depth from the OHL Sweden and Finland than normal --and if there is any strength to this draft it is tilted to a number of good (but not franchise) d-men --especially from the WHL....so--considering the weakness of forward depth it is inevitable that the spotlight has to search the Jr. A' leagues for more talent....In a stronger draft year for top ten talent and a stronger year for first round forward talent,perhaps Turris doesn't get into such a spotlight because he "only" plays in the BCHL...but also consider: he's going to be a gem in the NCAA when he plays for Wisconsin next year--and we saw how high Kessel and Toews went as NCAA "stars"--so I wouldn't hold it against Turris that he currently plays as a BCHL'er--because the fact is that the BCHL is now supplying quite a contingent of future NCAA talent --as do the other jr. A leagues...and just because guys play Jr. A to preserve their NCAA eligibility doesn't mean they also wouldn't be stars if they played major Jr. instead.

Thus if Turris sets a precedent for the draft of removing the stigma from Jr. 'A as inferior competition -that will be a good thing! From then on scouts can do what they are supposed to do-project the best possible talent --regardless of league or country of origin (as Kopitar broke that barrier last year)...
with its "inferior" level of competition

I understand what you're staying, and I feel we are saying similar things in regards to the good quality of play in the BCHL.
My point is that I don't think he'll be taken first. You've got some proven MJ players on that list, who have consistently performed against a higher level.
I think a scout would be leery of taking him #1 with such names as Gagner, Esposito, Couture, Voracek and the like on the board still.
I just still think we'll hear "Playing against inferior competition on a daily basis" from scouts quite often as his only drawback before draft day.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
He said he has been battling with a knee injury since summer training. Some kind of infection to his knee, that does not allow him to play the way he wants.

That said, Backlund has accomplished nothing so far. I watched the recent international u18 tournament in Piteå (Sweden), where Backlund was outshined by more or less everyone. The top forward of the entire tournament was swiss player Luca Kunti along with Swedish 90-born Mattias Tedenby (who was really dominant).

Would you be able to comment on the US team from the tournament at all?

I'm curious about C unti because he's been on Swiss international rosters for a number of years now as an underager though this seems to be the first really serious hype he's gotten. One big reason I'm so curious is that it really doesn't seem like he's accomplished much in Switzerland. This year he's only played in a few B league games and only has a handful of points. I'd expect someone with top ten talent to at the very least be playing in the A league.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Would you be able to comment on the US team from the tournament at all?

I'm curious about C unti because he's been on Swiss international rosters for a number of years now as an underager though this seems to be the first really serious hype he's gotten. One big reason I'm so curious is that it really doesn't seem like he's accomplished much in Switzerland. This year he's only played in a few B league games and only has a handful of points. I'd expect someone with top ten talent to at the very least be playing in the A league.
Some responses:

The Swiss A league is a great league- hard for a 17 year old to break into. C unti has been outstanding against his peers- his age group and that's the measure of young Euros. The Euro league stats for draft prospects often mean very little. Guys like Frolik and Tlusty had miniscule Czech league stats last season.

As for defensemen- as someone asked earlier- the usual names are: Blum, Hickey, Katic, Petrecki. I like Euros Hellgren (Sweden) and Dubinin (Russia) but there seems to be a lot of variety of opinion on those two players.

Turris may be playing against "inferior competition" but his recent performance vs. the Russian Selects is something that one might not even expect of a Couture or Esposito. He has also played in other competitions against his top peers with success. C unta is another with an "unlikely" background but frankly that's becoming less and less of an issue these days. EJ was an USNDT player as #1. Kopitar has had success.

How's Sweatt handling the college game, Jon? I quite like him- speed kills.

Question for OHL fans. Who is the 4th best draft prospect in the O this year? Almost EVERYONE has Couture, Gagner, Kane as the top 3. I'd go with MacLean but how about you? Cann or Smith perhaps?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Some responses:

The Swiss A league is a great league- hard for a 17 year old to break into. C unti has been outstanding against his peers- his age group and that's the measure of young Euros. The Euro league stats for draft prospects often mean very little. Guys like Frolik and Tlusty had miniscule Czech league stats last season.

That is true but I'd still expect a top ten player to be at the very least playing in the top league, like Frolik or Tlusty did last year. Right now C unti has 3 points in 9 games in the Swiss B league. Other recent Swiss prospects who received some hype like Romy, Cererda, Bartschi or Sprunger were A league players at the same age and none of them were considered top ten prospects (or even first round prospects in most cases). If Tlusty or Frolik had only managed a few games in the Czech 1st League with little to show in the way of production by this time last year I doubt people would have been as impressed.

C unti could end up being worth all the hype but I'd still like to see some production outside of a three game tournament.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
By the way, I should add Ross to that defenceman's list.

If I had to mention my sleeper pick it would be Kevin Vielleux of Victoriaville. A lot of scouts think they have him higher than everyone else- which means that a lot of people have him rated highly. Top 15 is a possibility.

As for C unti, I understand your argument but seeing is believing. Let's watch him at the WJCs against other draft prospects or known quantities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad