Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Played Half-Life 2 years ago on a friends PC and also on XBOX. But it seems wrong to not have it in my Steam library, for $1.14 I'll definitely grab that. I'm sure the sequel is right around the corner. :sarcasm: Actually, I haven't played the episodes either, I should get those too.

I think I'll finally get Cities: Skylines as well. Anyone have any recommendations on DLC? In typically Paradox fashion there is a myriad of DLC to choose from.

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I may only grab one thing from the sale.
I've got a little over $5 already sitting in my wallet. I might pick up Enter The Gungeon, although I was kind of hoping to grab it on my Switch, but if I'm only going to have to pay out a little over a dollar or two from my actual pocket to play it I'll have to play it through Steam.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Picked up Cuphead, Sonic Mania, A Hat In Time, Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas, Night in the Woods, Dishonored 2, and Steep.

Was tempted to get Yooka-Laylee for 66% off but I've only heard concerning things about the game and from what I've seen the worlds are very empty. Also a little bugged that Nier isn't on sale.

Reactions: Beau Knows

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Picked up Cuphead, Sonic Mania, A Hat In Time, Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas, Night in the Woods, Dishonored 2, and Steep.

Was tempted to get Yooka-Laylee for 66% off but I've only heard concerning things about the game and from what I've seen the worlds are very empty. Also a little bugged that Nier isn't on sale.

Oceanhorn looks intriguing, may have to get that one.

Stocking up on older cheap FPS, picked up the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle, Left 4 Dead bundle, and the first few Far Cry's.

Gonna buy more for sure before the sale ends. Rise of the Tomb Raider at 70% off is an automatic. Thinking about The Forest and Thimbleweed Park.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Sooooooooo I just realised I had bought the Humble Freedom bundle a while back and conveniently forgot about it. I already own a couple of the games so PM for a key:

The Stanley Parable
Stardew Valley

+more to come

I also can't guarantee I haven't given some of these away and forgotten too. :laugh:

Stardew gone.

Others available:

Day of the tentacle
Overgrowth
Invisible, Inc

World of Goo
Mushroom 11
No time to explain
VVVVVV
Spirits
7 Grand Steps
Waking Mars
Song of the Deep
AI War: Fleet Command
Girls Like Robots
Super Meat Boy
Retro Game Crunch
Nuclear Throne
Superbrothers Sword and Swocery
Guns of Icarus online
Super galaxy squadron ex
Jumpjet Rex
Potatoman seeks the troof
Ballistick
GRAV early access (abandoned)
Team Indie
Luna's wandering stars
Rocket Birds hardboiled chicken
Chroma Squad
shutshimi
Dusty Revenge Co op
Beat Hazard Ultra
Hand of fate

Some good, some turds, all I don't have time for.

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
damn I bought Invisible Inc this morning before I saw this post haha

so far its well worth the money though. I heartily recomment someone takes you up on that one!

Reactions: flyingkiwi

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Bought Just Cause 3 XL, Prey, and Nights into Dreams...$22 and change. I already own JC 3, but figure it will run better on my PC, and the DLC is included.

The funniest thing about Steam sales, is when I think "oh, I'd like that" and discover that I already own, ex Fallout 2. Good job, previous me.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
TotalSpend2018-06-23 01:01:08.977$2,299.62
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Less than I expected actually. I have almost $1000 in Paradox games alone so I thought it would be higher. I got my account for Empire: Total War in 2009 so about $255/year.

This steam sale I only picked up a Crusader Kings expansion, OOTP Baseball 19 and Shadowrun Returns.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
TotalSpend2018-06-24 01:47:18.167$6,507.25
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

To be fair, my Steam account is almost 14 years old...

Nothing on my wishlist is that interesting to me this steam sale, feels weird that I'm not buying much but I did pick up Hunt: Showdown and Dungeon Knight VR to play with some friends.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
TotalSpend2018-06-24 01:47:18.167$6,507.25
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To be fair, my Steam account is almost 14 years old...

Nothing on my wishlist is that interesting to me this steam sale, feels weird that I'm not buying much but I did pick up Hunt: Showdown and Dungeon Knight VR to play with some friends.

I know you'd be more than me :laugh:.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
TotalSpend2018-06-23 18:11:25.167$238.52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Not bad. Picked up PubG, Rust and Firewatch so far. We'll see what else comes along.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Kind of a random question but are there any good (not too hard) racing games that have real single player campaigns? Like the older Gran Turismo solo play "campaigns"? I've had a hankering for a racing game for a while but everything seems to be online or not really a garage/tuning side to a campaign.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Kind of a random question but are there any good (not too hard) racing games that have real single player campaigns? Like the older Gran Turismo solo play "campaigns"? I've had a hankering for a racing game for a while but everything seems to be online or not really a garage/tuning side to a campaign.

Forza Horizon maybe? It's not a Steam game but you can buy it on the Microsoft store.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Will take a look at it, I have heard good things about the Forza franchise. Thanks
If you, or anyone else for that matter, pick it up and need some in game cash PM me. I have hundreds of millions in that game, own every car and barely play anymore.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
If you, or anyone else for that matter, pick it up and need some in game cash PM me. I have hundreds of millions in that game, own every car and barely play anymore.
Will do, thanks! I'm going to check it out tomorrow & may take the plunge.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
You mean Horizon 3?

And I second the recommendation of the series. Looking forward to number 4. :D

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Yep, Horizon 3. I think Horizon 1 is still my favourite in all honesty.
I never played 1 cause I never had a 360. I got a kick out of 3 being so close to home but they made a big mistake by not putting the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon in the same class.

But if you could PM me about in game $$ that would be great.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Bought Frostpunk during the Steam summer sale and I LOVE it.

Takes place in an industrial revolution/steampunk setting when a sudden ice age happens. You people flee and start a new colony/city in the frozen waste, with this big ass coal generator in the middle of the city. I played through the first scenario, which took about 5 hours to beat. There are two more scenarios with more coming in the future. Unfortunately there is no sandbox/free build mode at the moment but the devs say there will be one by the end of the year.

Plays like a standard city builder/sim where you have to manage resources, space, and citizens, but with a few hooks.

-You can only build radially around the generator, in rings. You are also in a pretty small space tucked away inside this glacier, so space is at a premium.

-Heating is very important. The generator provides some heat to nearby buildings (generator level and range, and therefore coal consumption, can be improved by research later), and you can build little steam nodes to heat nearby buildings. The further away from the generator, the colder the building. People will get sick/die if their homes are too cold, and your resource collection will be less efficient in the cold. Temperature varies day to day, rising and falling, and so you need to manage your heat accordingly.

-You have two gauges to monitor your citizens, despair and hope. You want hope to be high and despair to be low, when either starts to shift things will happen. Crime will increase, there will be unrest, and other things that I don't want to spoil.

-You get to pass laws, which are permanent decisions that provide passive effects and open new building options. For example, how do you dispose of the dead? You can build cemeteries, which your citizens will like, or you can store them in snow pits to prevent decay. Storing them in snow pits will allow you to harvest their organs for medical boosts and turn them in to fertilizer for greenhouse boosts later, but you need to keep them away from heat sources (or risk illness), and not giving them a proper burial will cause hope to fall and despair to rise. Will you allow child labor? There are lots of choices.

-Passing laws leads you to two main ideologies, order and faith. Each has unique buildings and laws that can be passed mid/late game. There are also random events that can be triggered by certain choices, or just happen. A mother is requesting extra food rations because her kid is sick, saying yes/no will lead to different outcomes that could avalanche into major things...or be resolved on the spot with no issue.

-Moderately sized tech tree that lets you upgrade the generator, resource buildings, housing, etc.

-You can train scouts to explore the area around your city. They may discover survivors, caches of resources, establish supply outposts, and other things that could help/harm you. There's also a small little storyline you can follow.

-GREAT sound track, video effects, and menu animations that really add to the atmosphere of the game.

Soooooo it's a tough call. Once you complete the scenarios there's not really that much else to do. It's a GREAT base game, a little lacking in content though. I would recommend it now for $25, just understand that for the time being it'll take you like 10-15 hours to complete the currently available content and you'll have to wait a little bit to get more. But personally, I think it's worth it because the core gameplay and presentation is amazing.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Soooooo it's a tough call. Once you complete the scenarios there's not really that much else to do. It's a GREAT base game, a little lacking in content though. I would recommend it now for $25, just understand that for the time being it'll take you like 10-15 hours to complete the currently available content and you'll have to wait a little bit to get more. But personally, I think it's worth it because the core gameplay and presentation is amazing.
How's the replayability on the currently available content?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
How's the replayability on the currently available content?
You'll want to play the first scenario at least twice, one through Order and the other through Faith. I kinda want to play through it a few more times because I'm OCD and want to optimize my city. There were also quite a few outposts I didn't get to explore and techs I didn't research. So there's decent replayability. I cleared the scenario on my first try but just barely, so I'm going to try again now that I know what I'm doing.

I haven't played the other two scenarios but it seems like those are about 3-5 hours each, and I'm guessing those will warrant at least two playthroughs too. If I had to estimate, I'd say that including replays you'll get like 20-25 hours of content from the game in it's current state.

It's normally $30 but on sale right now for $25 I believe.

Reactions: Kestrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->