Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Hasnt it been proven that denuvos performance hit is almost neglible. Theres been a few games where denuvos been removed and the performance is the exact same. The most recent one is AC Origins claims, which might be true with the several layers of drm, thats possible.

But dont get me wrong, always online drm is terrible in every case. Shouldn't exist. Even if youre always connected to the internet anyways, some people have shoddy wifi cards or routers where the connection drops out, its just a terrible business practice.

Speaking of terrible business practices.

DARK SOULS™ III Deluxe Edition - Info - IsThereAnyDeal.com

Its kind of annoying how From (or Bandai) has heavily discounted the complete edition several times, but never once discounted the Season Pass. Thats sucks for someone like me who has the base game. It costs the same to buy the season pass as the complete edition when its on sale. Trying to squeeze out every penny on people who are already customers, I dont like that.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
With always online DRM, even if you have stable internet, you have to worry about the DRM servers going down... Could be an issue of:

You have a day off and really want to play the game that just came out that everyone's talking about but can't because the servers are down.

You want to play the game 10 years from now, devs never took the always online DRM off but they shut down the servers and you can never play the game again.

Worst part of it is you know a bunch of fanboys or whatever you want to call it will come out to defend the devs when you can't play a game that you paid for while pirates get to still play it for free. I remember a few years ago when PSN was down during the week of Christmas for a few days and people were defending Sony. I always take that week off from work just to play video games, I would flip out on a service I'm paying for if they're down for even 1 whole day that prevents me from playing games I want to play during time off I took from work just to play games.

Reactions: Kestrel

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
With always online DRM, even if you have stable internet, you have to worry about the DRM servers going down... Could be an issue of:

You have a day off and really want to play the game that just came out that everyone's talking about but can't because the servers are down.

You want to play the game 10 years from now, devs never took the always online DRM off but they shut down the servers and you can never play the game again.

Worst part of it is you know a bunch of fanboys or whatever you want to call it will come out to defend the devs when you can't play a game that you paid for while pirates get to still play it for free. I remember a few years ago when PSN was down during the week of Christmas for a few days and people were defending Sony. I always take that week off from work just to play video games, I would flip out on a service I'm paying for if they're down for even 1 whole day that prevents me from playing games I want to play during time off I took from work just to play games.
Is Denuvo always online DRM? I thought it just had to do a check at install. Either way I agree, always online DRM is some bullshit. When digital retailers treat their customers like thieves and make them jump through hoops while the actual thieves are playing without the inconveniences, it really makes the paying customer question why they didn't just steal instead. Even though it never really stops the pirates, unobtrusive DRM is totally reasonable, but shit like Starforce and always online DRM just hassles the paying customers, and likely turns many into pirates.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

I haven't pirated in years, but back when I did pirate games, I was one of those "try before you buy" pirates that the game companies of course claim don't exist, or are of the extreme majority - if I liked a game well enough to stick with it, I would buy it.

On one hand, the companies that would use always on DRM did succeed in getting me to stop pirating - but not because I couldn't pirate - ie, Assassin's Creed 2 was cracked the very first day - I just decided the DRM was so distasteful that if the company was going to use it, I was disgusted enough that I knew I wasn't ever going to support them by buying the game, so I wasn't interested in trying it out for free either - and I certainly didn't want to be a statistic that they could use to support their DRM use. I also tend to avoid those companies in the future. ie I won't outright refuse to play an Ubisoft game, but if I know ahead of time that a game is by Ubisoft, even if it isn't an always online game, there's a good change I won't be interested in trying it. I'd rather buy games from a company I feel treats their customers with more respect.

Also - I wish I could remember which game - it might even have been AC2 - but I do remember a company had released a game with always on DRM, and then after a lot of backlash, re-released it without DRM - and in a delicious twist of irony, it came out that they didn't actually remove the DRM - they simply released a cracked copy of their game. As in, they didn't crack it, they just grabbed a copy that someone else had cracked.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
You have to go through the Paradox website (they'll send you keys) but Europa Universalis IV and almost all of its DLC are 75% off

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
BattleTech at 30% off is tempting...
I thoroughly enjoyed it around and following release; I haven't played much recently due to a new move & a major work project, but I've heard the last couple of updates/patches have improved it as well. I'm looking forward to getting set back up & trying it again with the new patches.

It's worth it for less then 30, for sure. I think I paid 40 and think that was worth it.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I have a 5 year old zenbook with 4 GB ram and an HD Intel 4000 onboard graphics card. It can usually play pre-2010ish games fine and games from 2010-13ish fine too if they run on low settings. I just got a new 1080p 24" IPS monitor and would love the chance to try out some games that'll be worth it on that monitor.

I'm not a PC gamer so I just got the monitor for the PS3 but if there's any games that would work on my PC that aren't on the PS3 from that pre-2010ish era then lemme know. I'd prefer not RPGs or heavy strategy games just because I don't want it to take up all my time (I lost an entire summer as a teen playing Football Manager and Stronghold Crusader and prefer not going down that rabbit hole again).

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed it around and following release; I haven't played much recently due to a new move & a major work project, but I've heard the last couple of updates/patches have improved it as well. I'm looking forward to getting set back up & trying it again with the new patches.

It's worth it for less then 30, for sure. I think I paid 40 and think that was worth it.

It's just over $30 Canadian right now.

I'd probably snap it up in a second if I didn't have so many games to get through already. :laugh:

Back on to the wishlist it goes....

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
It's just over $30 Canadian right now.

I'd probably snap it up in a second if I didn't have so many games to get through already. :laugh:

Back on to the wishlist it goes....
Understandable. There is also some frustrating game play/too many animations (though you can turn them down a bit in the settings) so I know, unless you really like Mechs & Salvaging/balancing a budget (like more wealthy XCOM base building), there are some people that don't love it. But that kind of stuff is right up my alley so I'm not one of them.

Plus the entire game seems to be in unpacked JSON files so there are tons of easy modifications you can do yourself to tweak game play (IE, I modified my campaign so there are more missions per planet, as I got sick of flying around a lot, even though it's a bit of a cheat because it makes the financial side easier with quicker contract turn around).

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Question for anyone who played XCOM 2:

When I played the last XCOM, I felt punished because I rushed through the game and the late game was really hard since I only leveled up a core of soldiers rather than level all of them up slowly. This time around, I want to level all of them equally. Would I be punished for taking too long? I have a progress bar saying Advent Project at the top that seems to slowly fill up. Should I be rushing through the game to stop that bar from filling all the way up or does it just trigger an event and it fills no matter what?

CanadienDude

Katie B.
Nov 3, 2004
St. John's, NL

When I played the last XCOM, I felt punished because I rushed through the game and the late game was really hard since I only leveled up a core of soldiers rather than level all of them up slowly. This time around, I want to level all of them equally. Would I be punished for taking too long? I have a progress bar saying Advent Project at the top that seems to slowly fill up. Should I be rushing through the game to stop that bar from filling all the way up or does it just trigger an event and it fills no matter what?

There is no need to rush if you dont want to. Don't let the meter fill completely as it will be game over. Just take out a facility every now and then so the meter goes back down.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

If you get to a full meter, you have 2 weeks. Hit a facility & you'll remove at least 1 icon (the facility will show you how many it represents), resetting the meter/time.

I slow play the hell out of the "main" mission & usually have multiple colonel's, and the rest majors/captains, by the end.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
GOG.com has a pretty big sale going on right now.

Also some new games on GOG connect where you can link your Steam account and get duplicate copies.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
There is no need to rush if you dont want to. Don't let the meter fill completely as it will be game over. Just take out a facility every now and then so the meter goes back down.

If you get to a full meter, you have 2 weeks. Hit a facility & you'll remove at least 1 icon (the facility will show you how many it represents), resetting the meter/time.

I slow play the hell out of the "main" mission & usually have multiple colonel's, and the rest majors/captains, by the end.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize I should expand across the world as early as I could and was running very close to having the full meter. I actually got to 9/10 blocks by the time I finally researched for more contacts and could reach the other facilities and take them down. After a few missions, I got back down to 1/10. Now I'm back to taking my time a bit. I have practically no supplies left and want to get the best gear before I start taking on some of the later story missions. I still remember the last mission of the last game took me like 2-3 hours since I wasn't properly geared and I save scummed the hell out of that mission. :laugh:

Reactions: Bocephus86

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Got a few straggling game keys:

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition
Zombie Night Terror

PM me if you have any interest.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain