Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Has anyone here played XCOM 2: War of the Chosen? I’m looking at picking it up while it’s on sale, but I haven’t made it through XCOM 2 original yet. I did really like the first XCOM, though, if that counts for anything.
It's basically a brand new game. You have to start over to play War of the Chosen though, but its' well worth it.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I would recommend doing one full campaign of XCOM2 Vanilla before playing War of the Chosen... but, that's only because of how much more appreciative it will make you of War of the Chosen(and Vanilla was pretty good).

So go ahead and do what you want. ;)

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
It's basically a brand new game. You have to start over to play War of the Chosen though, but its' well worth it.

I would recommend doing one full campaign of XCOM2 Vanilla before playing War of the Chosen... but, that's only because of how much more appreciative it will make you of War of the Chosen(and Vanilla was pretty good).

So go ahead and do what you want. ;)

Well, consider me sold, haha. I’ll probably buy it now but play it later, preferably after fully running through XCOM 2’s campaign at least once.

Sep 19, 2008
Apparently the PC port of Yakuza 0 came out today or yesterday and it seems to be quite the rage. Getting very popular reviews right now.

Tempted to dive in.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I downloaded Yakuza last night. Pre-ordered it earlier for the ~$5 off cuz I'm a cheap bastard.

Once I finish up Hero-U and P4G, Yakuza will be next on the chopping block. I'm excited to finally give it a whirl.

Really blows balls that it has Denuvo but I do like it for the PS4. Great game.

Gah, I really wish they would give Denuvo a rest already. I understand wanting to protect your digital rights and stuff, but Denuvo can really kick you in the pants performance-wise....particularly on an older system.

...plus they seem to crack it extremely quickly these days...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Gah, I really wish they would give Denuvo a rest already.

I won't buy them. Prey for example.

Bethesda games seem to make their way to GOG eventually so I'll just be here waiting.

It's weird though they removed it from Doom but don't seem to be bothering for Prey. Publishers always say it's really only important for the launch window. Yet most of the time they don't bother removing the stuff later. It's almost as if they don't believe that.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Honestly, the only thing keeping me away from using GoG more often is the fact that the majority of my games are on Steam, and I'm a bit OCD about that for some reason. Also because almost nobody I know uses GoG.

DRM sucks. I mean I get the purpose behind it, but in practice it sucks.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, the only thing keeping me away from using GoG more often is the fact that the majority of my games are on Steam, and I'm a bit OCD about that for some reason. Also because almost nobody I know uses GoG.

DRM sucks. I mean I get the purpose behind it, but in practice it sucks.

Same. I like GOG and I wish more was on it, but you know. Also, I do like that, at least they did this for the Witcher games, if you enter your Steam code with GOG, they will give you a free GOG copy as well.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Extra layers of DRM are really annoying, Steam's standard DRM policy should be good enough. You never stop the pirates from cracking it, and anything too invasive just pisses off paying customers. I haven't actually noticed any ill effects from denuvo fortunately, but it still annoys me that it exists in the first place.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Denuvo is basically the new form of Starforce, but I don't know if anyone remembers, but somehow that DRM was way shittier than most others I've ever seen.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Denuvo is basically the new form of Starforce, but I don't know if anyone remembers, but somehow that DRM was way ****tier than most others I've ever seen.
Wasn't Starforce potentially system breaking? From what I've heard in the past there's just some claims that it affects hard drives.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Wasn't Starforce potentially system breaking? From what I've heard in the past there's just some claims that it affects hard drives.

Yep, it would. Even if it didn't do that, it would sometimes think you don't have a valid game code even if you purchased the game legally. It was a f***ing nightmare. What a piece of f***ing shit. Also, I think it was generally along the lines of something like malware on people's computers?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Endless Space 2 is 66% off.

It is one of the better 4X in space games. The music is very, very good on top of everything.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yep, it would. Even if it didn't do that, it would sometimes think you don't have a valid game code even if you purchased the game legally. It was a ****ing nightmare. What a piece of ****ing ****. Also, I think it was generally along the lines of something like malware on people's computers?

I bought Risen 1 on DVD when it came out. It had Securom and it was so borked that I actually had to do a *DVD* drive firmware *DOWNGRADE* to get it to work.
I know some stuff about some tech stuff and I didn't know such a thing as downloadable firmware updates for optical drives was a thing :laugh:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I bought Risen 1 on DVD when it came out. It had Securom and it was so borked that I actually had to do a *DVD* drive firmware *DOWNGRADE* to get it to work.
I know some stuff about some tech stuff and I didn't know such a thing as downloadable firmware updates for optical drives was a thing :laugh:
Sad thing is... I did know that :laugh: When you rip a lot of DVD's and blu-rays, it's really annoying to have drives with riplock (a "feature" that slows down your drives - supposedly to control noise, but there's also the thought that it's to make piracy more of a pain too). Unfortunately, there's no getting rid of riplock on my drives!

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
What does Denuvo do that is comparable to Starforce? I've seen lots of complaints about it, and am annoyed by it's existence in principle, but haven't seen much of what it actually hurts outside of vague, unconfirmed reports of hard drive problems.

Sep 19, 2008
I downloaded Yakuza last night. Pre-ordered it earlier for the ~$5 off cuz I'm a cheap bastard.

Once I finish up Hero-U and P4G, Yakuza will be next on the chopping block. I'm excited to finally give it a whirl.

Gah, I really wish they would give Denuvo a rest already. I understand wanting to protect your digital rights and stuff, but Denuvo can really kick you in the pants performance-wise....particularly on an older system.

...plus they seem to crack it extremely quickly these days...

Biggest problem with Yakuza right now is the launch bug. Basically it crashes back to desktop after launch. Eventually after trying to run it like 20 times it might launch successfully...but this is a well known bug.

Nearly at the end of Chapter 1...that fight is absolutely crazy and very difficult.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
What does Denuvo do that is comparable to Starforce? I've seen lots of complaints about it, and am annoyed by it's existence in principle, but haven't seen much of what it actually hurts outside of vague, unconfirmed reports of hard drive problems.

From what I understand, there are also complaints about performance hits due to Denuvo's tendency to be a little on the extreme side.

As an example:

Denuvo DRM gets the elbow from Grey Box's RiME

Biggest problem with Yakuza right now is the launch bug. Basically it crashes back to desktop after launch. Eventually after trying to run it like 20 times it might launch successfully...but this is a well known bug.

Nearly at the end of Chapter 1...that fight is absolutely crazy and very difficult.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a chance to give it a try. I do see very mixed reviews on the bugs, though...with some claiming it runs perfectly and others describing similar issues to the one you mentioned.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
From what I understand, there are also complaints about rather performance hits due to Denuvo's tendency to be a little on the extreme side.

As an example:

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a chance to give it a try. I do see very mixed reviews on the bugs, though...with some claiming it runs perfectly and others describing similar issues to the one you mentioned.

Yup. Hopefully they fix it...it seemed more stable last night which is good. Apparently closing steam and restarting steam helps

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
From what I understand, there are also complaints about performance hits due to Denuvo's tendency to be a little on the extreme side.

As an example:

Interesting thanks for the link, sounds like performance issues are dependent on how strict Denuvo is set to be.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Interesting thanks for the link, sounds like performance issues are dependent on how strict Denuvo is set to be.

It can make a big difference for sure.

I think a lot of the annoyance comes from any performance hit as you have Denuvo on top of Steam's own built in DRM. Then you add in the fact that it's normally cracked within a week or two....

I've read that many developers claim it is only to protect against piracy at launch, which is a fair goal...however, Denuvo tends to stick around far longer than that, making it both annoying and useless at that point.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It can make a big difference for sure.

I think a lot of the annoyance comes from any performance hit as you have Denuvo on top of Steam's own built in DRM. Then you add in the fact that it's normally cracked within a week or two....

I've read that many developers claim it is only to protect against piracy at launch, which is a fair goal...however, Denuvo tends to stick around far longer than that, making it both annoying and useless at that point.
It just seems to accomplish very little. Steam's DRM is reasonable, I'd like if all games just stuck to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->