Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA

I never heard of this thing but it looks like the devs thought "Huh, people really like Metal Gear right? Why don't we just change the aesthetic in our survival game to look exactly like Metal Gear? All the way down to the logo!"

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Soul Calibur 6 out now. Kind of sad to think it'll be the end of the franchise if it doesn't sell well, but early reviews seem positive enough.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Are there any games that you guys really recommend? I pretty much only play sports games, but I want to expand my gaming world.

Is there anything good on sale?

Do you have any genre you think you might be interested in?
Do you play with a controller or KB/Mouse or both?
SP or MP?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No idea
Keyboard and mouse
single-player

I mean if you haven't played anything but sports games there's just so much available. If you're looking for deals games cycle through them all the time so what you want to do is add stuff to your Steam wishlist so you get notifications when something goes on sale. So just sort by genre or look at curators list to pick stuff out for your wishlist and pick up things as they go on sale. Also there's always the big sales where everything goes on sale typically a Black Friday, Winter Sale, and Summer Sale.

Personally the game I've spent by far the most time on Steam is Civilization V, a turn based strategy game. There is a Civilization VI out, but it isn't in it's completed state (still an expansion pack and additional DLC's to go) and isn't really that much better, bang for your buck someone new would be better off getting the Civ V complete edition when it's on sale.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Are there any games that you guys really recommend? I pretty much only play sports games, but I want to expand my gaming world.

No idea
Keyboard and mouse
single-player

I'd get some humble bundles, or bundles in general. Origin Access is $5 a month, might not be a bad idea to try it out. That'll give you access to a decent amount of games so you can narrow down which genres interest you and which to avoid. There's also free games from various stores pretty often(steam, origin, uplay, greenmangaming, fanatical, humble store). I'd avoid buying anything new or relatively expensive until you know what genres interest you.

If you go the origin access route the Mass Effect series (maybe skip 1, it's pretty old), some batman games, Unravel, Crysis 3, dead space, Bulletstorm, Tropico, and Dragon age are all fairly good, and will give you a good idea of what you might be into.

If first person games with lots of options on how to play sound fun I'd recommend Prey and Dishonored 1 and 2. If you end up liking fast paced first person shooters, Shadow Warrior 1/2 are great. Total Warhammer is solid for strategy, Beseige is nice for building, mount and blade warband gives you some third person combat plus some realtime strategy. Skyrim or fallout 4 are good starter RPGs, they're fairly streamlined. The saints row series is good for silly over the top third person shooting.

You could even just head to youtube and check out a few minutes of gameplay of some of the games I listed, or others you might be interested in. It's not nearly as good of an indicator as playing, but it might be a good start. I'd really suggest some bundles or a month of origin access though. I've bought games that are well liked and well made only to realize that while they're not bad games, I just don't like that style of game. It sucks.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
With the Halloween and then black friday sales coming up there will be lots of stuff to choose from.

Steam seems to have a decent amount of stuff on sale at the moment. There's a lot of other stuff on sale on other sites too probably.
Popular games on sale now:
Fallout: New Vegas
Cities Skylines
Tomb Raider
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
With the Halloween and then black friday sales coming up there will be lots of stuff to choose from.

Steam seems to have a decent amount of stuff on sale at the moment. There's a lot of other stuff on sale on other sites too probably.
Popular games on sale now:
Fallout: New Vegas
Cities Skylines
Tomb Raider
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Weird... I thought about getting that one. It looks like an expansion just came out yesterday.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Weird... I thought about getting that one. It looks like an expansion just came out yesterday.

It's not quite a strategy game as such which is more my preferred type , but I love these types where you can kick back and just play as you want. Don't have to worry about juggling missions or storylines or whatever.

Tropico and Civilization were mentioned. I'd probably avoid jumping head on into something like Civ without other strategy or management type game experience though.
But there is a Demo of Civ VI on the steam page so you could try it without buying it.

It's kind of a thing you might not think about at first glance, but there's a learning curve in getting used to how the interfaces work and such. If you've only played sports games you're probably not used to it.

Might help to know what kind of computer you have. Cities won't run on *anything* but it will run on a lot of systems. Other games mentioned might need more performance.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's not quite a strategy game as such which is more my preferred type , but I love these types where you can kick back and just play as you want. Don't have to worry about juggling missions or storylines or whatever.

Tropico and Civilization were mentioned. I'd probably avoid jumping head on into something like Civ without other strategy or management type game experience though.
But there is a Demo of Civ VI on the steam page so you could try it without buying it.

It's kind of a thing you might not think about at first glance, but there's a learning curve in getting used to how the interfaces work and such. If you've only played sports games you're probably not used to it.

Might help to know what kind of computer you have. Cities won't run on *anything* but it will run on a lot of systems. Other games mentioned might need more performance.

I don't have a gaming computer. I use my laptop. :laugh:

(I'm not really a tech person.)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
See this is the type of thing you need to look at:

WB Humble Bundle

Very easy to build up a library of good games if you're starting from scratch. Just cross reference your laptop specs with the Steam requirements. If you're laptop is fairly new it should probably be okay though.
thats a reeeeeally good bunderu at $4-5 US

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's an ASUS ZenBook. I don't know the model number. I'll have to ask my brother since he ordered it off of Amazon for me (he has Prime, and I don't).

Well it can be pretty frustrating to buy games and not be able to run them, so whenever you can find the model (usually printed either on top or on a sticker on the bottom) post it.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002

I would try out anything that's already been mentioned here. You may know this already, or it may have already been mentioned, but you can try out any Steam game and return it if you don't like it as long as you haven't played it for more than two hours and haven't had it for more than two weeks.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I should clarify that: 2 weeks or 2 hours, if you exceed one of those limits they probably won't accept a return request.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
was gonna buy Yakuza 0 yesterday but internet kept cutting in and out. now its on sale. so, okay then :D

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I picked up Valkyria Chronicles 4 with this sale. I loved the first one and I really like the direction Sega is going lately. I don't remember the last time I've spent over $50 on a game but feel it's warranted here. I'll start it tomorrow night, can't wait now.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's an ASUS ZenBook. I don't know the model number. I'll have to ask my brother since he ordered it off of Amazon for me (he has Prime, and I don't).

You can see all the information directly in your laptop. Assuming you have Windows 10 here's a link to follow, and there's 3 things you need to know.

From the System window in there you just want to know what your Processor and Installed memory (RAM) is. The processor really doesn't matter much, but you want to see if you have 4 GB of RAM or 8 GB. If the laptop is a few years old it could only be 4 GB, which is good for most games but starting the last 3 or so years newer high end games have started requiring 8 GB.

Third thing you need is your Display Adapter/Graphics card/GPU, which is a bit trickier. That link doesn't show it but in the System window it shows when you open it on your laptop if you click the Device Manager link on the left, then in that window expand the Display adapter option to see what you have, it will only tell you the name so you have to google that to see the specs. A laptop isn't likely going to have a very good GPU in it, but if you can play 1080P video's it should be able to handle anything you could do with a 4 GB RAM limit.

There's probably other ways to get this info, but that's the standard way built into Windows.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Graphics: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

I don't know what any of this stuff means since I'm not a tech person.

I'll browse Steam later today.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Graphics: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

I don't know what any of this stuff means since I'm not a tech person.

I'll browse Steam later today.

This means you don't have a graphics card, which will either prevent you from being able to play some of the more demanding games or playing them on the highest settings.

I have an extra key for Shadow of Mordor on Steam from the WB humble bundle. You could probably run that on medium, maybe low settings. Let me know if your interested and I'll send you the key.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad