Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Never played Borderlands before.. Should I start with the first one? or go straight for #2?
Last really good RPG I played was the Witcher 3 with all the DLCs.. need some recommendations for some new stuff..

BL2 is 100x better then 1. Skip 1. BL2 is better in every single way.

One almost feels like a it was a proof of concept and two is the game they really wanted to make. Its bigger and far more refined, a superb gane.

Its one a few games I can think of where the sequel is better in every way (that doesnt involve technological changes in hardware).

Last edited:

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
Thanks for the info guys. I think that's what I will do, go straight to number 2. I'm interested in the storyline.. But I'd rather go straight to the good stuff.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
Thanks for the info guys. I think that's what I will do, go straight to number 2. I'm interested in the storyline.. But I'd rather go straight to the good stuff.

Borderlands 2 tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the first game's storyline.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
After my old PC died on Christmas Eve, I bought a new PC but kept my old GTX 980 because you couldn't find much at a good price for new GPUs. I was aching for a new one since the GPU was obviously a huge bottleneck. I got a good deal at Micro Center for a 2080Ti, feels like the jump from console generations with graphics settings but I even get the frame rate. :laugh:

This is my benchmark of Shadow of the Tomb Raider with everything maxed at 1440p except AA and motion blur off:

C6C270DD7294DDF7ED614E8D2EF0ED5F5510675C

Feels so good!

Reactions: Commander Clueless

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Maybe someone can help me out here, there seems to be this thing over the last 2-3 years where people start getting hyped or even outright demand DLC before a game is even released.
Why not just ask for more base content if you're asking for stuff :laugh:
Is it some sort of seeded marketing crap with fake accounts or are people just that whipped now :laugh:

Reactions: Beau Knows

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Maybe someone can help me out here, there seems to be this thing over the last 2-3 years where people start getting hyped or even outright demand DLC before a game is even released.
Why not just ask for more base content if you're asking for stuff :laugh:
Is it some sort of seeded marketing crap with fake accounts or are people just that whipped now :laugh:

I don't get it myself, but I think it has a lot to do with people wanting to know a game will be supported post launch.

Some people really value the amount of time they can sink into a game, hence the evolution of the "live service" model. Unfortunately, many devs/publishers trying to use that model completely neglect what makes it good - actual content updates to an already good game post launch, and not just a bunch of crap.

No....I've decided I like the conspiracy theory better. Let's go with deep seeded market conditioning.

....I would not put it past any of the big developers. In fact, considering some of the (blatantly patented) manipulation tactics to get people to buy more skins and the like, I'd say it's likely they've at least tried.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't get it myself, but I think it has a lot to do with people wanting to know a game will be supported post launch.

Unless it's an MMO or MP only game (and the couple three games I have in mind aren't) I don't really consider DLC "support".

I think if a game comes out and it's pretty good and the fanbase starts asking for DLC that's one thing. I'll pay for good stuff. It just seems barmy to me to ask for characters/locations/etc 6 months before a release in a separate content pack you have to pay for :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Unless it's an MMO or MP only game (and the couple three games I have in mind aren't) I don't really consider DLC "support".

I think if a game comes out and it's pretty good and the fanbase starts asking for DLC that's one thing. I'll pay for good stuff. It just seems barmy to me to ask for characters/locations/etc 6 months before a release in a separate content pack you have to pay for :laugh:

Oh I agree with you, but I don't think everyone agrees with us.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Thing is, great DLC is sort of like hooking up with that hot ex girlfriend: you had great times, you've moved and you get a booty call. You get to enjoy something you know you liked before while discovering a few changes/new quirks.

Very few great DLC these days unfortunately. People usually remember the highs, it's been a while but The Witcher 3 DLC really got people on board for awesome DLC.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If you like (proper) RPGs, this game is a treat:

It has some writing jank due to being translated from Russian, and it probably wasn't written all that well to begin with tbh. But almost everything else is aces. It's the best Fallout-like since.....Fallout 2 probably.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thing is, great DLC is sort of like hooking up with that hot ex girlfriend: you had great times, you've moved and you get a booty call. You get to enjoy something you know you liked before while discovering a few changes/new quirks.

Very few great DLC these days unfortunately. People usually remember the highs, it's been a while but The Witcher 3 DLC really got people on board for awesome DLC.

That's because what the Witcher 3 offered is an expansion pack, which has always been a thing on PC. One of my pet peeves with the PC markets consoleization the last or so 10 years is the lack of distinction by the community between 'DLC' and an 'expansion pack'. Using the Civilization series as an example a DLC is paying $5.50 for the Nubia Civilizaion and Scenario pack that adds a single civ, a wonder, and a custom scenario to the game. An expansion pack is paying $50CDN (used to start at $30 so getting pricier) for Gathering Storm which adds a shitload of new stuff and completely revamps & improves the base game.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
If you like (proper) RPGs, this game is a treat:

It has some writing jank due to being translated from Russian, and it probably wasn't written all that well to begin with tbh. But almost everything else is aces. It's the best Fallout-like since.....Fallout 2 probably.

I saw Lirik playing it a bit and remember when he was making a character. This was one of the character portraits:

It's literally just this popular mugshot image flipped lol:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's literally just this popular mugshot image flipped lol:

Yes they have a lot of those, it's mildly amusing since most of the NPCs are based on something like that.
I've run into Cybill Shepard and Robert LaSardo so far :laugh:

Surprised they haven't gotten a cease and desist yet.

Sep 19, 2008
Yakuza Kiwami (Yakuza 1) dropped for PC today.

0 is pretty good so be curious how they go with 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad