Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
There are too many deals everywhere right now.... My wallet cannot take it!

Not only that, but my backlog is still too full!

I made decent progress this year. I can't throw it away now! :laugh:

Microsoft isn't helping with their damn $1 Game Pass shenanigans....

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Bought the full Valve Index kit. Should be here before Christmas. Got it now because it's selling out pretty quick and I want it before the January meetup that I'm having with friends.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I broke down (again) and bought Deep Rock Galactic to play with a friend.

I also nabbed Disco Elysium and (FINALLY) Divinity: Original Sin II on the concurrent GOG sale.

I made so much progress on my back log this year and just threw it away :laugh:

Well, I knocked more games off the list but the hour count of those games I just purchased is likely very high.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Got Sekiro on the sale. Never liked the Dark Souls games because they're too hard :D. This one's no picnic so far but a lot more fun for me through the first hour or two.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Got Sekiro on the sale. Never liked the Dark Souls games because they're too hard :D. This one's no picnic so far but a lot more fun for me through the first hour or two.

Sekiro is much better than Dark Souls. It rewards an aggressive playstyle instead of demanding that you play very defensively.

Not having to deal with stamina is amazing.

Reactions: Jasper

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Sekiro is much better than Dark Souls. It rewards an aggressive playstyle instead of demanding that you play very defensively.

Sounds like you just don't know how to play Dark Souls tbh lol.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA

That actually kind of makes me want to play Sekiro. I could not get into Dark Souls because I thought it felt too clunky and I always play aggressive in everything.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That actually kind of makes me want to play Sekiro. I could not get into Dark Souls because I thought it felt too clunky and I always play aggressive in everything.

It should be said the game is very much about parrying. It rewards aggressive playstyles in that the game gets easier when you force the AI to react to you whereas you have to wait for your opening a lot more in Dark Souls.

I played through the first Dark Souls and thought it was a good but unremarkable game. Sekiro really clicked with me though, there is an actual rythm to combat that makes it far more engaging than the slow and clunky Dark Souls.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wasn't planning on getting anything but I just finished The History of Rome podcast so when Rome 2: Total War popped up in suggestions I just couldn't resist.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
picked up Red Dead Redemption 2 off the Humble Bundle store @ 20% off. they give you an Epic Store key which i thought was good, since i have quite the collection of games on there now with all the free stuff they give out.

thinking about getting Sekiro on Steam since i love the Dark Souls series and From Software are typically just excellent developers. it's gotta be a great game, right? i would think so.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I broke down (again) and bought Deep Rock Galactic to play with a friend.

I also nabbed Disco Elysium and (FINALLY) Divinity: Original Sin II on the concurrent GOG sale.

I made so much progress on my back log this year and just threw it away :laugh:

Well, I knocked more games off the list but the hour count of those games I just purchased is likely very high.
Have you played any of Disco Elysium yet? I have myself a serious backlog currently, combined with an energetic puppy, a busy work schedule, and a return to the dating world, my time for games remains minimal but it really caught my eye the other day. As someone here once said to me, it might be time that I just accept I won't finish most games I pick up.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Have you played any of Disco Elysium yet? I have myself a serious backlog currently, combined with an energetic puppy, a busy work schedule, and a return to the dating world, my time for games remains minimal but it really caught my eye the other day. As someone here once said to me, it might be time that I just accept I won't finish most games I pick up.

I have dabbled, although I'm still trying to finish up Outer Worlds so not as much as I'd like.

All I can say is, it is wonderfully unique so far. If you enjoy interesting dialogue and skill-check based options, you'll like this game. That's...well, that's most of it honestly. :laugh:

Very early, but a recommend thus far from me.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I have dabbled, although I'm still trying to finish up Outer Worlds so not as much as I'd like.

All I can say is, it is wonderfully unique so far. If you enjoy interesting dialogue and skill-check based options, you'll like this game. That's...well, that's most of it honestly. :laugh:

Very early, but a recommend thus far from me.
Thanks - the reviews on the writing/dialogue was what really gripped me. As I age I've found that interesting dialogue/writing seems to keep me coming back more than game play (and maybe that's because I love a couple of specific game play types, and they tend to be games that you can play over & over, and I have quite the library of them).

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Hope you ended up getting it. My game of the year, no questions asked.

RE2 Remaster at $26 CAD is pretty spiffy...…….but I also realized I still haven't installed MGSV yet. Damn these sales.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It should be said the game is very much about parrying. It rewards aggressive playstyles in that the game gets easier when you force the AI to react to you whereas you have to wait for your opening a lot more in Dark Souls.

I played through the first Dark Souls and thought it was a good but unremarkable game. Sekiro really clicked with me though, there is an actual rythm to combat that makes it far more engaging than the slow and clunky Dark Souls.
playing defensively is waaaay more viable in sekiro than in DS3. You can turtle against a lot of bosses in sekiro, in DS3 just about every boss can break your guard in 2-3 hits at most.

I'm not sure how I feel about sekiro in relation totsouls tbh. I'm nearly done. I'll need to beat it first and see.

In DS1, I would agree turtling is far more viable.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Thanks - the reviews on the writing/dialogue was what really gripped me. As I age I've found that interesting dialogue/writing seems to keep me coming back more than game play (and maybe that's because I love a couple of specific game play types, and they tend to be games that you can play over & over, and I have quite the library of them).

Absolutely. It can be a huge boon.

The thing that makes or breaks Disco Elysium I imagine will be that the dialogue is everything, rather than a balance between story and combat like a traditional RPG.

If that still appeals to you, by all means pick it up IMO. Back log be damned. :laugh:

Reactions: Bocephus86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad