Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. That being said, pretty sure the only games I even want to play by EA are A Way Out, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and Unravel.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Origin not going well enough for them? You know, I think people expected this to happen eventually.

I doubt that this would be due go Origin underperforming.

The cost of putting games up on Steam is probably minimal and they are likely going to be able to move more games by allowing them to be sold on Steam.

I also wonder if Valve might not have reached out to EA to work something out in order to combat EGS. We shall see but if this comes to pass, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Valve is giving something to EA in return.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It makes sense. Just guessing here but I'd think they can focus on keeping their EA subscription audience on Origin, because if you're willing to pay EA a subscription fee you probably won't have a hard time getting them to use Origin, and sell on Steam for the people who would maybe want the odd EA game here or there but is never going to use Origin.

Reactions: Frankie Spankie

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As expected, EA is back on Steam (very pleased about being able to get Jedi Fallen Order on Steam!).

Also EA is going to bring their streaming service to Steam Spring 2020. Here again, as expected, this is Valve pushing back against Epic.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
As expected, EA is back on Steam (very pleased about being able to get Jedi Fallen Order on Steam!).

Also EA is going to bring their streaming service to Steam Spring 2020. Here again, as expected, this is Valve pushing back against Epic.

And it's a good push back. Especially with the integration of the EA Access service.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Very interesting development.

Now bring NHL to PC please.(With full mod support, let me dream, let me dream...)

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
God this new library UI sucks. Their VR is a failure, their console and controller is a failure, they no longer make good games, and competitors are starting to chew away at their online storefront dominance. Good thing I don't have a ton of games on Steam. To those who have hundreds: You better hope Gaben keeps his promise.

Reactions: SniperHF

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
God this new library UI sucks. Their VR is a failure, their console and controller is a failure, they no longer make good games, and competitors are starting to chew away at their online storefront dominance. Good thing I don't have a ton of games on Steam. To those who have hundreds: You better hope Gaben keeps his promise.

Yeah the UI blows.

Since they don't actually *do* much it's probably a light operation I doubt a decrease in marketshare is a threat to Steam's existence.

The controller is actually good but nobody does use it. There is no more customizable controller on the market, ever. It's unbelievable how useful it is.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not a UI expert but I'm not sure how much of the dislike is only due to change. As far as I can remember, this is the first major change to the library right? It had been the same way since 2003, that's a damn long time.

I have to look for stuff but I can't say I thought "that being there makes no sense" which makes me wonder how much of the issue is the actual UI. That being said I don't fiddle around the library much.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The new UI is more customizable, but somehow less intuitive.

Can't say I'm a huge fan. The old interface was....well, old...but it was simple and easy to use. I might just be an old man, though.

I don't mind it, but I think I preferred its predecessor.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
They made a console? Are you referring to the Steam link? I wouldn't call that a console. Also, how is their VR a failure? Are you talking about the SteamVR program or the Index? I'm not sure what Index sales even are but I've heard good things about the screen and the knuckles look awesome.

I cannot see Steam going anywhere regardless. How many launchers are there anyway? Isn't it pretty much just Steam, GoG, Origin, Uplay, Epic, and a small handful of others that are really just for company's self published titles? Out of those, other than GoG, is any really gaining market share? Epic is trying to buy their way into the market but who knows how well they're even doing. I feel like it's pretty telling that they were always quick to brag with hard numbers on Fortnite players but they're not doing the same for sales on the Epic store. It's always just "Game X sales are doing great!" It's never, "We sold 1 million copies of game X!"

GoG seems to have a pretty good marketshare but they're a niche product. They also don't really compete directly with Steam since a lot of it are classic games not even available on Steam. Also, they offer DRM free games whereas Steam is a DRM service.

Origin? Uplay? Have they really been successful? Are they really taking away from Steam? EA is even coming to Steam which one could argue being that Steam has defeated Origin as a competitor, who has been around and established longer than any of Steam's other competition. Ubisoft seems to be sticking with EGS but who knows if it's working for them. Obviously PC Market share is just a part of their market but Ubisoft just came out saying this year has been an abysmal failure. Would that have been different if they were still on Steam? Who knows. Personally, I don't think it would make much of a difference regardless but that's because I think Ubisoft games have been trash for years. :laugh:

Regardless of what your platform of choice may be, I feel like it's just silly to think Steam is going anywhere.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The old interface was....well, old...but it was simple and easy to use

The old library menu (the only one I really care about) was like navigating windows through menus, something basically everyone has done at some point.

The new interface is like navigating netflix with a sidebar. Except it's weird because the main screen is kinda trying to "sell" you on your games like the netflix queue does, but you already own them.

It's not outright unusable or anything, but it follows the typical standards of today with oversized graphics and tons of dead space.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
They made a console? Are you referring to the Steam link? I wouldn't call that a console. Also, how is their VR a failure? Are you talking about the SteamVR program or the Index? I'm not sure what Index sales even are but I've heard good things about the screen and the knuckles look awesome.

I cannot see Steam going anywhere regardless. How many launchers are there anyway? Isn't it pretty much just Steam, GoG, Origin, Uplay, Epic, and a small handful of others that are really just for company's self published titles? Out of those, other than GoG, is any really gaining market share? Epic is trying to buy their way into the market but who knows how well they're even doing. I feel like it's pretty telling that they were always quick to brag with hard numbers on Fortnite players but they're not doing the same for sales on the Epic store. It's always just "Game X sales are doing great!" It's never, "We sold 1 million copies of game X!"

GoG seems to have a pretty good marketshare but they're a niche product. They also don't really compete directly with Steam since a lot of it are classic games not even available on Steam. Also, they offer DRM free games whereas Steam is a DRM service.

Origin? Uplay? Have they really been successful? Are they really taking away from Steam? EA is even coming to Steam which one could argue being that Steam has defeated Origin as a competitor, who has been around and established longer than any of Steam's other competition. Ubisoft seems to be sticking with EGS but who knows if it's working for them. Obviously PC Market share is just a part of their market but Ubisoft just came out saying this year has been an abysmal failure. Would that have been different if they were still on Steam? Who knows. Personally, I don't think it would make much of a difference regardless but that's because I think Ubisoft games have been trash for years. :laugh:

Regardless of what your platform of choice may be, I feel like it's just silly to think Steam is going anywhere.
I'm thinking long-term. Steam has been the top online platform for a while and it can't get any higher. Their other ventures have been mostly failures, which shows that they don't understand market trends or even their own userbase with this recent UI change. That will result in a decline in users while competitors slowly build up their own platforms and eat away at Steam's marketshare. Again, it's not going to happen overnight, but that's the way it's trending. You can't stay at the top without innovating. Someone somewhere will make something better. Competition is good, but it sucks for players to have to deal with all these different launchers. Hopefully, in the future, there is some unified launcher for all games that is both fair to developers and players.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The old library menu (the only one I really care about) was like navigating windows through menus, something basically everyone has done at some point.

The new interface is like navigating netflix with a sidebar. Except it's weird because the main screen is kinda trying to "sell" you on your games like the netflix queue does, but you already own them.

It's not outright unusable or anything, but it follows the typical standards of today with oversized graphics and tons of dead space.

I think the purpose is to update you on your friends activities, what games have had recent updates, etc.

I do wish it would just default to your library screens like it used to, but it's not a huge thing to switch it over.

I personally prefer the new GOG Galaxy 2.0 beta so far. Customizable and fairly intuitive.

GOG's storefront needs a little work, though. It's awkward to find games.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm thinking long-term. Steam has been the top online platform for a while and it can't get any higher. Their other ventures have been mostly failures, which shows that they don't understand market trends or even their own userbase with this recent UI change. That will result in a decline in users while competitors slowly build up their own platforms and eat away at Steam's marketshare. Again, it's not going to happen overnight, but that's the way it's trending. You can't stay at the top without innovating. Someone somewhere will make something better. Competition is good, but it sucks for players to have to deal with all these different launchers. Hopefully, in the future, there is some unified launcher for all games that is both fair to developers and players.
Valve unfortunately doesn't have to change anything because nobody's forcing them to regardless. Their competition offers fewer features. You can say their other ventures have been failures but what exactly does any of their competition do? Like I said earlier, I can see value in GoG but what do these other launchers offer that Valve doesn't? Why are people going to go to them? There are fewer features at all of them. Hell, I'm still blown away that the store page on Origin hides the price of a game on the game's store page behind a button click. I'm still blown away that EGS doesn't have a search function or a shopping cart. People already have an established library on Steam after it has been the only horse in the race for years before even their first competitor came around. You can't be just as good as Steam to pull people away, you have to be better. I don't see any reason to go elsewhere (again, other than GoG). Think about it, it's like you have all your money in one bank and they offer 2% interest rate with 0 fees. Another bank opens up right next door and it has 2% interest rate with 0 fees. Are you going to start going to the other bank? Why bother? You're already established at the first one, you're happy with what you have, and the new one doesn't offer anything different.

User interfaces in general have become so damn bad over the years. Nakeyjakey actually does a good job at ripping into what UIs have become over the years and the video's funny to boot.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Steam controller for $5 is a steal:

If you're wanting a controller for shooters don't buy it (also you are guilty of wrongthink :P) but it's great for everything else.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

If you're wanting a controller for shooters don't buy it (also you are guilty of wrongthink :P) but it's great for everything else.

I was super interested in trying this out for $5, but it seems to no longer be available...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Yeah, it's a great controller if you're playing a game on your couch that world normally require a keyboard. It's not a great controller for shooters or even many other games that work great with an xbox controller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad