Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Is epic buying out the exclusivity of quantic dream and the Journey developer from Sony? It seems super late for them to finally be on PC.

If they are, the next exclusivity deal I hope they buyout it vanillaware.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Who the hell knows what Epic is trying to buy. There's so much bad press behind them lately. Metro Exodus doesn't seem to be doing very well for them. I think for AAA publishers, Borderlands 3 will be their ultimate test to see if it's worth it to go into EGS exclusivity. They can still eat up indie exclusives since they're a lot cheaper. Funny how it brings out the worst in people though. The latest exclusive, Ooblets, is becoming a total disaster. The developers are becoming insufferable assholes about it now that they have money.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
They can still eat up indie exclusives since they're a lot cheaper

For a little while maybe. I don't think these indie studios have much a future for the most part (even before Epic's platform started up) and are just financing what they've already done. Some are probably angling to get bought outright, Microsoft is throwing money around these days for PC content. It's a short term gambit because going Epic exclusive hurts your core audience and word of mouth tremendously.

Phoenix Point for example probably wasn't going to sell very much to begin with. Their first title Chaos Reborn underwhelmed. They got 700k on Fig for PP which is not exactly indicating it's gonna be a smash hit.

I don't think that will matter to Epic one way or the other though. They will be a legit player because of Fortnite and their will to stick with their platform. Churning through indies for exclusivity will help them over time despite the reputation hit and probably speed up the collapse of these indie studios. Unless Epic gets into the business of publishing these small studio games for future exclusivity before production has even started. But if they underwhelm sales wise I don't know why they'd do that. They can always buy exclusivity from the next A+ indie dev looking to recoup their investment.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Who the hell knows what Epic is trying to buy. There's so much bad press behind them lately. Metro Exodus doesn't seem to be doing very well for them. I think for AAA publishers, Borderlands 3 will be their ultimate test to see if it's worth it to go into EGS exclusivity. They can still eat up indie exclusives since they're a lot cheaper. Funny how it brings out the worst in people though. The latest exclusive, Ooblets, is becoming a total disaster. The developers are becoming insufferable *******s about it now that they have money.
I should clarify, what I mean is that in the last 6 months or so several formerly sony exclusive titles have been coming to the epic store, Journey, Tetris, all of Quantic Dreams catalogue. Its likely they bought out the sony exclusivity and got it for themselves on windows, though its also possible the timing is just a coincidence since Flower which was a Sony game too is on steam.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
For a little while maybe. I don't think these indie studios have much a future for the most part (even before Epic's platform started up) and are just financing what they've already done. Some are probably angling to get bought outright, Microsoft is throwing money around these days for PC content. It's a short term gambit because going Epic exclusive hurts your core audience and word of mouth tremendously.

Phoenix Point for example probably wasn't going to sell very much to begin with. Their first title Chaos Reborn underwhelmed. They got 700k on Fig for PP which is not exactly indicating it's gonna be a smash hit.

I don't think that will matter to Epic one way or the other though. They will be a legit player because of Fortnite and their will to stick with their platform. Churning through indies for exclusivity will help them over time despite the reputation hit and probably speed up the collapse of these indie studios. Unless Epic gets into the business of publishing these small studio games for future exclusivity before production has even started. But if they underwhelm sales wise I don't know why they'd do that. They can always buy exclusivity from the next A+ indie dev looking to recoup their investment.
Yeah, that's the boat I'm in. I think there's too much press on EGS exclusives and there's a lot of people already saying to never buy the game, even when timed exclusivity ends and it goes on Steam. There are also plenty of devs that have come out and said Epic approached them and they denied because of all the bad press on the Epic store lately. There's your difference in developers who are looking to make a quick buck and have confidence in themselves and are worried about the long term plan.

And to the point on Fortnite, even if they have tons of cash flowing in, I'm not sure how long they want to keep operating this store running at a loss if these exclusive deals really aren't panning out for them. Everyone always says they have billions and bad deals aren't going to hurt them but they're still a business. I'm not sure how many businesses, regardless of how much money they have/make from other sources, are going to keep pushing something that loses money.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'd have no problem using EGS if it wasn't such an under-featured piece of trash. It's such a bare bones and unenjoyable experience. This is gaming though, so everything is in extremes. You can't dislike EGS for any of the completely valid reasons. You're some kind of corporate Valve shill that's only down on EGS because it's not Steam.

I don't personally have an issue with games going EGS exclusive, timed or otherwise unless they've already promised Steam keys. I won't ever purchase them, but it's obviously the publisher's decision to make and I can't blame them for doing what they think is best.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Love me some CK2.

Bought the Bundle just to get all the expansions that I did not have. So I have a free code for a copy of the main game along with the expansions Way of Life and Sword of Islam if anyone want a copy.

I got my copy of CKII free on here so now it is time to pay it forward.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Bought the Bundle just to get all the expansions that I did not have. So I have a free code for a copy of the main game along with the expansions Way of Life and Sword of Islam if anyone want a copy.

I got my copy of CKII free on here so now it is time to pay it forward.

If it's not spoken for, I'd love it. Have been meaning to get back into a game like that.

Reactions: SniperHF

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Very important warning for Destiny 2 owners. If you do not transfer your game to steam before Sept 30 you will no longer own the game.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Up on the epic game store now you can get Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY, Arkham City GOTY, Arkham Knight, and all 3 Lego Batman games. FOR FREE. That is insane. I will never buy anything from them, but they've given me a stupid amount of free stuff. hey, I'm not complaining.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Up on the epic game store now you can get Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY, Arkham City GOTY, Arkham Knight, and all 3 Lego Batman games. FOR FREE. That is insane. I will never buy anything from them, but they've given me a stupid amount of free stuff. hey, I'm not complaining.

Yeah I've got quite the collection of games on there without buying anything.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm not against buying from the epic store, but I've heard they charge fees for using other currency, is that true or do they just do a straight conversion?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I have been redeeming all the games through the store's website after I uninstalled the launcher a long time ago. I'll never use them but I figured Epic is probably paying for each free copy they give out so I get to make them waste money. I'll probably just sell/trade the account once they stop giving out free games. :laugh:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Anyone else notice that you can't play Max Payne 3 anymore because the Rockstar Social Club is basically dead? Seriously, this game CONSTANTLY crashes on me on start up or when I try to hit continue.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It's also possible, if you're able to boot up the game, you better do it in DX9, as apparently DX10/11 is full f***ing broken for the game. I know when I was try to load it up, the further I got was the main menu to start the game and then it would crash. It would sometimes go to black screen right from start up and immediately crash.

And apparently if you pre-order RDR2 using their launcher, one of the two games you can pick is Max Payne 3 Complete Edition... so that one going to function? Also, why the f*** is Steam selling something that straight up can't be played by most people anymore?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad