Steals of the draft..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
And he only outscored Cherepanov in that year by 1 goal. 19 goals for Kovalchuk in the lockout year in the RSL.

So, you compare lockout RSL(main stars: Kovy, Jagr, Markov, Kozlov, Elias) with present RSL (stars: Kalyuzny, Scott, Marek etc)?

By this logics both Cerry and kovy are weak. Really great players are Kulemin(28 goals) and Zaripov(30+goals). And Morozov is the ruler of this world.:sarcasm:

hans

Apr 13, 2007
westwood
Why do you think that, Hans ?

Well, if for no other reason, I believe he was rated around 50th N.A. skater by one of the major publications.

The poster Frankie has a lot of good to say about him in this thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=288201

"i love fillier. great skater, he hits, fights, plays very well defensively, and his offense will come around. excellent leadership as well."

He was drafted much higher than where we got him (180-something) in most of the full mock drafts on this board, including 60th in Lowball's 2007 Mock.

18 goals/36 points as an 18 year old in the Q isn't exactly mind-blowing but it suggests he has at least some offensive talent. It's probably unrealistic to expect or hope he develops into a top-6er but the tools all seem to be there for him to become a decent 3rd or 4th liner. And really, what else can you (reasonably) ask out of a 7th rounder in a "weak" draft?

hgo

Mar 21, 2004
Manhattan
Developing them isn't so much the problem as keeping them until they've finished :)
I think that's a fair assessment that we haven't been able to develop our own talent. Look at this depth chart:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/rosters/islanders.html

Of the people on that list, only DiPietro, Martinek, Campoli, and Gervais were Islander draft picks, with Hunter and Tambellini coming at young ages. Add Bergenheim to that list if you want, and I guess Hunter since we got him at a young age, but that's not all that impressive of a list.

Your point is right, though - if you want a result of developing our talent, look no further than several franchise players around the league, starting with Chara and Luongo.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Mark Katic looks pretty good to me... I had him ranked in the early second round but the Islanders got him in the 3rd...

I wanted my Sens or my Habs to pick him badly !! :rant:

Reactions: Wanderson

Bégin is the bestest*

ithink most of the russians who got drafted are steals if they comes to north america.

and jean-simon allard too, i don't understand why the habs haven't drafted him in the 5th round.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
ithink most of the russians who got drafted are steals if they comes to north america.

and jean-simon allard too, i don't understand why the habs haven't drafted him in the 5th round.

Russians?
Cherepanov maybe if he adapts to NHL.
Bashkirov is an alright pick with some risk
Dadonov? I don't see this midget who is used to play with 90 bon in NHL
Korostin? Only thing he has is shot. Other than that he's just an accelerate.
Mayorov is very good pick. Risk of course, but he may be a steal.
Goncharov? I don't know much, about him.
Kablukov is bust, that's clear.
Gadyuchenko? All about size, considering that Russia doesn't dvelop many quality goalies, thats a risky pick.
Gratchev is a mystery to me.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Actually, I didn't know of any scouts who had Torquato on their lists at all, although obviously someone did. He was not on our list- not on mine. I was actually a bit surprised that he got drafted.

In short, he lacks foot speed, has very average straightaway speed, is not heavily involved or effective in the physical department, tends to not use time and space that well against better opponents, was not a factor in showcase events and, most importantly, really has not improved much since entering the league as a heralded prospect.

He's not really a player that looks like his skills (decent puckhandling, offensive vision- at a junior level) are going to translate to the NHL to many observers but because he was once a top prospect you might hope that this year was an anomaly and he can develop or find his form again.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Actually, I didn't know of any scouts who had Torquato on their lists at all, although obviously someone did. He was not on our list- not on mine. I was actually a bit surprised that he got drafted.

In short, he lacks foot speed, has very average straightaway speed, is not heavily involved or effective in the physical department, tends to not use time and space that well against better opponents, was not a factor in showcase events and, most importantly, really has not improved much since entering the league as a heralded prospect.

He's not really a player that looks like his skills (decent puckhandling, offensive vision- at a junior level) are going to translate to the NHL to many observers but because he was once a top prospect you might hope that this year was an anomaly and he can develop or find his form again.
What do you think of his linemate Nick Palmieri...if he gets his speed to average for his size what could he become. I can't remember him at the prospects game which is probably bad.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Sorry but I really have to limit my comments about players, given my role, so I'll just comment on one or two occasionally.
Short word on Palmieri- I like him more than Torquato, there's some hint of a decent power forward with scoring skills there.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I adore the Flames picks of Backlund, Negrin, and Aulie. From what I've heard, Backlund and Negrin are some of the youngest players in the draft, and both dropped because of injuries (you can see a trend here for Sutter's drafting- see Pelech). Aulie's big, sounds like he's got enough speed to not be a pylon (never seen him play, but what I've heard), and has won scholastic awards.

Colour me a satisfied Flames fan.
Yup. The Flames, Blues, Hawks and Aves had the best drafts pick for pick IMO. Love the Blues pick of AARON PALUSHAJ.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
Nic Torp seems like a heck of a steal. Rated 9th in Euro skaters, grabbed in the sixth round by the Habs... Seems like another dirty, defensive-defenseman in the late rounds like Emelin and Valentenko.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
56 - Chi Akim Aliu **
70 - Cgy John Negrin *
127 - Edm Milan Kytnar
147 - Buf Jean-Simon Allard ***
162 - Car Brett Bellemore
196 - Nyi Simon Lacroix

Glad to see someone else likes the Bellemore pick. That pick, along with Justin McCrae are my two favorite picks by the Canes from this draft.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Anyone who has ever watched a video of him should know that he doesn't avoid traffic. He goes right to the net and thats where he scores a lot of his goals anyway. He even throws a hit every now and again.

Yes, I agree about Cherepanov not avoiding traffic but throwing hits? :amazed: Don't overrate.

Snoil11

Aug 30, 2006
Germany
I like to throw in Robert Dietrich, who was drafted at 174 by the Preds.
He played a very good rookie season in the German Elite League by registering 22 points as a defender in a defensive-minded team. Furthermore he had a decent WC. Although he is already 21, I wouldn't rule out, that he'll become a NHL-regular one day.

Mindcircus

Sep 30, 2003
Santa Ana, CA

Kings selecting Joshua Turnbull at 137 (round 5)? I've read somewhere that he's a diamond in the rough. Anyone know anything about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->