Steal of draft so far

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
I say Samu Perhonen. He's got a lot to grow/develop but has a huge upside.

But of course I'd like to see all of Edmonton's picks do really well.

yup probably the best goalie of this draft in the third round, def could be something talked about in a few years if he develops into a top flight guy...

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Most of the dudes you ppl are naming were picked right where they were expected to go. Grimaldi was going to be a late 1st or early 2nd... which is where he went. Same with guys like Jurco.. they went where they were expected! That does not mean a steal.

Ambroz and especially Catenacci were surprises..

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Larsson at 4
Beaulieu at 17
Grimaldi at 33

Definitely agree with Grimaldi. It seems like there's no reason he shouldn't have been in the first round. Havent heard anything negative heard about him in terms of talent, competitiveness, character, etc. Size does not seem to be something that will stop him from getting to the NHL.

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
I like the ceiling for Adam Lowry. Went to Winnipeg I believe. He is 6'4, still needs to fill out but is just learning to use his size. He can scoop in it from the side boards and take it to the net well. This guy won't be a stud but I think he will be a very sturdy, reliable NHLer which is excellent to find in the 3rd rnd.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I came in here to say that. Though the phrasing should be "will be thought of" as a huge steal.

Calling someone a huge steal the day of (or after) the draft is incorrect.

Along with Hudon, I think that taking Quine in the 3rd was a big pick for the Wings.

I would love to be a Detroit fan for atleast 1 year. Such a good system and the way they bring players into the organization.

Also, the way they develop a player is unreal. They pick players that have the intangibles, like Quine who is a great skater and has a solid motor. He will take a couple years, but what's the rush in an established system?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Most of the dudes you ppl are naming were picked right where they were expected to go. Grimaldi was going to be a late 1st or early 2nd... which is where he went. Same with guys like Jurco.. they went where they were expected! That does not mean a steal.

Ambroz and especially Catenacci were surprises..

I agree. Grimaldi actually got picked higher than I expected. I'd love him on the Bruins, but 5'6 is 5'6.

Kucherov lasted a bit longer than I thought he would. I figured he'd be gone by the middle of the second round. He will only be a steal if he comes over to play in NA.

I think Zach Phillips was a big steal. I cannot fathom why Toronto passed on him. Ambroz falling to the 5th round is mind-boggling.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Couturier
Hamilton
Beaulieu
Grimaldi
Jenner
Hofmann
Prince
Kucherov
St. Croix
Rieder
Friberg
Boyd
Demelo
Larraza

I thought those guys were good value where they were selected. Time will tell.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Funny, no-one has listed 5'11" Brenden Kichton, an 81 point (in 64 games) WHL Dman who went in round 5.

Seems like he could be a poor man's Ryan Murphy.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Funny, no-one has listed 5'11" Brenden Kichton, an 81 point (in 64 games) WHL Dman who went in round 5.

Seems like he could be a poor man's Ryan Murphy.

Well he did get passed in last years draft and Detriot didn't pick him up after a camp invite.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I would love to know why Wpg passed on Couturier to take a different center.

I would not be surprised if Scheifele turned out to be a better all around player than Couturier. Couturier is the sexier pick, obviously... but I've been around long enough to have seen questions like yours answered in time.

Clipitar

Aug 20, 2010
The beauty of this post is that you think you can talk condescendingly to someone about a player they have evidently watched quite a bit based on what you have seen from 3 scouting service rankings, some mock drafts, and maybe a bit of hockey if we're being optimistic.

The real beauty of your post is that, as a very clear Ottawa fan on this site, you're basically being a huge homer. You want so hard to believe he's a greater talent than Larsson, I don't feel like popping your bubble.

And the funny thing in all this is that I really like Zibanejad. I'm just saying that, at #6 overall, he's not THE steal of this draft. Is it this hard for you and that other guy to understand?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad