Stauffer on NHL radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Bob Stauffer was on NHL radio defending Yakupov saying he the criticism of him was unfair and that he was a character guy. He DID go on to say that there were guys in the room that had the reputation of being character guys but were "more about themselves"

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Bob Stauffer was on NHL radio defending Yakupov saying he the criticism of him was unfair and that he was a character guy. He DID go on to say that there were guys in the room that had the reputation of being character guys but were "more about themselves"

There was criticism of Yak?

not in Edmonton

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Tendency on these boards to overuse the Troll label so I don't want to go into reasons why people may not like Yakupov.

I'm a fan of the kid and think much of it is a tempest in a teapot.

My reason for posting was because I thought that Stauffer's second statement was interesting and wanted the thoughts of the fanbase.
What do you think Bob is taking about?

Again, this is an honest question from a fellow hockey fan.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Tendency on these boards to overuse the Troll label so I don't want to go into reasons why people may not like Yakupov.

I'm a fan of the kid and think much of it is a tempest in a teapot.

My reason for posting was because I thought that Stauffer's second statement was interesting and wanted the thoughts of the fanbase.
What do you think Bob is taking about?

Again, this is an honest question from a fellow hockey fan.

Guys like Ryan Whitney and Eric Belanger were rumoured to be "ego maniacs" and not very good teammates

lots of pouting, and whining

as for Yak, not one person, media or otherwise, has said anything bad about the kid...must be from media outside Edmonton

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Fan responses to this thread are 100% speculation, so I don't know what the point of this thread is other than to spew negativity on players needlessly. I'm sure every NHL team has players on it who are a little more self-centred than others. Stauffer's point was that Yakupov was a team-guy, first and foremost and not a selfish player, as he is sometimes painted in the media.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Teflon Shawn. After seeing that our local stations contact other teams media for info on those teams I always cringe at the thought of guys like Stauffer, Tencer, etc etc etc being contacted by other towns media to get the low down on the team.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Teflon Shawn. After seeing that our local stations contact other teams media for info on those teams I always cringe at the thought of guys like Stauffer, Tencer, etc etc etc being contacted by other towns media to get the low down on the team.

Agreed. Our media "experts" are an embarrassment to the team.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Honestly Yak strikes me as a guy who wants to work his ass off and improve and become the best player possible and wants to be part of a winning team... I don't really see him as selfish or arrogant at all.

From the comments and interviews I've heard from him, he seems to have humility and is self-critical and knows he has to improve and keep working to get better.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I don't understand how Yakupov could ever develop a negative reputation.

I also can't stand the hockey media's treatment of players with a bit of individuality and excitement. They (the media) claim to 'like' those guys because it gives them someone to poke and prod in attempt to make a story. The media ends up vilifying the player and as a result the player becomes more reserved, robotic, and boring, just like the other 99% of the league. Case in point: Alexander Ovechkin.

I really hope Yakupov doesn't do the same thing as he gets more experience.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Lots of people like to parrot what they hear or read. Happens with news, sports, etc.

I read lots of different boards and a lot of other fans have an image of Yak as an arrogant non team guy, etc.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
I also can't stand the hockey media's treatment of players with a bit of individuality and excitement. They (the media) claim to 'like' those guys because it gives them someone to poke and prod in attempt to make a story. The media ends up vilifying the player and as a result the player becomes more reserved, robotic, and boring, just like the other 99% of the league. Case in point: Alexander Ovechkin.

I really hope Yakupov doesn't do the same thing as he gets more experience.

Agree. 1) he's having fun and 2) he's a young kid.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
That would my guess as well. It has been alluded to for years.

Mine too...

But my impression is that it isn't of any malace per se, just that he was 'brought up hockey star' and unlike others, never lost his narcissist blinders. I think he's been reasonably well liked by other teammates cuz of his other positive traits... but is just one of those guys who has trouble seeing past their own "all about me" filter.

We all have a friend like that... no biggie.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
I think there's a lot of ignorance about Yakupov out there. People who only know that he's Russian and that he slid down the ice in a big goal celebration just jump to the conclusion that he's selfish and egotistical. I don't think there's a lot more depth to the analysis than that.

vickpeterson

Sep 30, 2011
HF
There was an article a few days a go in the Journal in which Terry Jones or Jim Matheson wrote a great piece on Yakupov, and how he feels much more confident this year, and looks like a more complete player. At the end he noted how he had to wait until Yakupov left the ice at practice, in which he was the last guy on the ice by a significant margin, working on different things.

At one point the Oilers PR guy came to him and told him the media was waiting for him, he said along the lines of "I don't care, I practice."

Even the Older Oilers Media members, who didn't like him when he came here, have changed their minds on him.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
100% he has alluded to this time and time again without coming straight out and saying it. That's right folks, Mr. Fan Favorite is not as great as soon people think!

Yeah that's been the rumor for years. And Stauffer has mentioned it many times in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->