Speculation: Status of players on AHL only contracts

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If a player has an AHL only contract can any NHL team sign him during that contract to play in the NHL? Or do his NHL rights belong to the NHL team whose AHL affiliate is the team he has a contract with?

The Sabres have veteran dman Zach Redmond who's having a career year down in the NHL, he's on a 2 year AHL only contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Any NHL team can sign a player on an AHL only deal.
There is an exemption....

Team drafts a player from europe having their rights for 4 yrs. After draft he plays chl for 2. After they can sign player to AHL only and still have his rights.

A team can pull a player but they can decline. I don't know redmond's contract term but he could have a high ahl salary that may be above nhl min.

Last edited by a moderator:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
There is an exemption....

Team drafts a pkayer from europe having their rights for 4 yrs. After drFt he pkays chl for 2. After they can sign pkayer to AHL only and still have his rights.

A team can pull a player but they can decline. I dont know redmo d vontract term buthecould have a high ahl salary that be above nhl min.

If I’m not mistaken, NHL clubs can’t sign players to AHL only contracts. It certainly wouldn’t make sense otherwise. I suppose they could just force their AHL club to sign the player, but that seems a bit ridiculous.

I’d also like to see some proof of what you’re stating. I don’t understand how that allows the NHL club to retain the prospect’s rights.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If I’m not mistaken, NHL clubs can’t sign players to AHL only contracts. It certainly wouldn’t make sense otherwise. I suppose they could just force their AHL club to sign the player, but that seems a bit ridiculous.

I’d also like to see some proof of what you’re stating. I don’t understand how that allows the NHL club to retain the prospect’s rights.

Officially, they can’t. However, a lot of guys sign an AHL only deal with a particular club in the understanding that if they play well and impress there’s a handshake deal that they’ll give the big club first dibs on their rights. There are also situations where teams tell guys ‘listen we want to bring you on board but we don’t have the contract spots, here’s an AHL deal, do well and we’ll look at an NHL contract spot for you’.

For example Josh Currie signed with the Oilers this offseason and I would be absolutely unsurprised to see Evan Polei or Logan Day follow suit next offseason.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

A real example Buffalo has with 7th round pick in 2016 Glotov.

He was drafted out of Russia thus they have his rights till June 1 2020

In 16/17 and 17/18 he played in the CHL
This season he is on a Rochester only contract currently playing in Cincinnati in ECHL.

He is not free to sign with any team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->