Pool: Statsy's WJC Pool: 8th Edition

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Just got home and excited to watch that Canada game I recorded! After that big victory over the USA, I know Canada’s gonna come out firing! I’ve got a good feeling about this. :thumbu:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Sorry boys, just ran out of time today, so we’ll have to wait until after tomorrow’s games for an update.

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
Who else is feeling grungy about this tournament? The level of play is down a little this year. It could be just me and watching the 0-6 game to Russia but honestly, I don't think I've ever said the play is sloppy, but it just seems to be. Could it be the Czech ice? I had a feeling about Canada this year (especially considering the goalie debate) but my better judgement still lead me to drafting a number of them. I also was thinking Finland might have a down scoring year - nope! Russia down scoring year, nope yet again. I also thought Switzerland might surprise a lot of people this tournament considering their returning players and the big win last year over Sweden. Nope. Again, maybe its just me but I've watched almost all games and I haven't been impressed by any of them. Entertaining, definitely (Sweden/Finland was a doozy) but what do you think?

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
Statsy, please check IIHF stats, Heinola had an assist coming into today's game and got 2 more today please. So did Drury finally...

Let's go Canada tomorrow!!! Maybe with Lafreniere out vs Germany some of the 2nd liners can come out and play. Time to make up some ground!!!

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Okay, here we go! The standings are now updated through four days of action:

StandingsDay4.png

Christien is killing it in the assist column (Gretzky-style), which is allowing him to remain in a comfortable five point lead over FightingSioux. GrandLarseny is within striking distance, however. The rest of the pack is a few points behind, with Tomsburninghat still struggling to gain any traction. It's another four game day tomorrow, so look for some goals to be scored!

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Who else is feeling grungy about this tournament? The level of play is down a little this year. It could be just me and watching the 0-6 game to Russia but honestly, I don't think I've ever said the play is sloppy, but it just seems to be. Could it be the Czech ice? I had a feeling about Canada this year (especially considering the goalie debate) but my better judgement still lead me to drafting a number of them. I also was thinking Finland might have a down scoring year - nope! Russia down scoring year, nope yet again. I also thought Switzerland might surprise a lot of people this tournament considering their returning players and the big win last year over Sweden. Nope. Again, maybe its just me but I've watched almost all games and I haven't been impressed by any of them. Entertaining, definitely (Sweden/Finland was a doozy) but what do you think?
Not only am I not feeling down about this tournament, I am absolutely ecstatic with the wildness of Group B. I've never seen anything like it in all my years watching hockey tournaments. Is the play sloppy? Well, sure, but it always is at the WJC and that's what makes this so crazy. These are young kids under tremendous pressure and emotions are going through the roof! Non-sloppy hockey ends 2-1 and puts me to sleep. I'll take this stuff any day. Love it!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not only am I not feeling down about this tournament, I am absolutely ecstatic with the wildness of Group B. I've never seen anything like it in all my years watching hockey tournaments. Is the play sloppy? Well, sure, but it always is at the WJC and that's what makes this so crazy. These are young kids under tremendous pressure and emotions are going through the roof! Non-sloppy hockey ends 2-1 and puts me to sleep. I'll take this stuff any day. Love it!

2017 group A was fun

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Remind me what happened again?

Denmark finished 2nd in their pool beating Finland and Czechs. Finland played relegation and fired their coach mid tournament. 2 Swiss OT/SO wins was the only thing that kept them ahead of a last second Finland surge.

2015 group B was quite fun as well. Czechs get off to an atrocious start losing to Sweden, Swiss and needing OT against Denmark. When Denmark beats Switzerland in OT in the 2nd last day Czechs needed to beat Russia in regulatrion to advance. They did and finished 2nd in their pool as a result sending Russia to 3rd and Switzerland who had beat them to open the tournament to the relegation side. Denmark took Russia to OT as well playing 3 of 4 of their round robin games to OT

This year has been pretty wild, but the 1 thing we're missing in the OT games which I guess has made 3 way tiebreakers more likely.

I also vaguely remember a year where the Swiss lost all their round robin games but since 3 were in OT they advanced over 1 team who went 1-3 but that 1 win only gave them 2 points as it was OT over the Swiss

Reactions: FinPanda and Statsy

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah, the Finland coach firing was epic! Considering the USA line mess this tourney, I was half expecting Sandelin to get fired too if they lost today. :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I also vaguely remember a year where the Swiss lost all their round robin games but since 3 were in OT they advanced over 1 team who went 1-3 but that 1 win only gave them 2 points as it was OT over the Swiss

2013 but I remembered incorrectly. Last year of the byes to the semis so only top 3 made the playoffs. Swiss went 1-3 but all 3 losses were in OT/SO for 6 points. Finland went 2-2 but the 2nd win was in OT against the Swiss so they only had 5 points and went to relegation in 4th place.

GrandLarseny

Jersey Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Still got a couple goose eggs on my team in Pasic and (disappointingly) Byfield, but the others picking up the slack have been really helpful. I haven't had the chance to watch all the games but the ones I have watched have been quite entertaining, and the craziness in group B certainly contributes haha.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Denmark finished 2nd in their pool beating Finland and Czechs. Finland played relegation and fired their coach mid tournament. 2 Swiss OT/SO wins was the only thing that kept them ahead of a last second Finland surge.

2015 group B was quite fun as well. Czechs get off to an atrocious start losing to Sweden, Swiss and needing OT against Denmark. When Denmark beats Switzerland in OT in the 2nd last day Czechs needed to beat Russia in regulatrion to advance. They did and finished 2nd in their pool as a result sending Russia to 3rd and Switzerland who had beat them to open the tournament to the relegation side. Denmark took Russia to OT as well playing 3 of 4 of their round robin games to OT

This year has been pretty wild, but the 1 thing we're missing in the OT games which I guess has made 3 way tiebreakers more likely.

Oh the best tournament in Finnish hockey history. Almost I had forgot it was only a few years ago.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
After Day 5:
StandingsDay5.png

Khabby has a big surge on day 5 on the strength of a Swedish rout of Kazakhstan, picking up 10 points to pull into 3rd spot. Christien increases his lead over FightingSioux by another point with his American players doing the damage today. A quiet day for GrandLarseny sees him pick up only pair of points, dropping him a spot in the standings. Statsy squeaks past C4G with six points today. The preliminary round wraps up tomorrow with another full slate of games.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Brutal year of injuries as I lose Jan Jenik for the tournament
I actually thought teams were healthier than usual coming in to the tourney, but there’s definitely been a lot of bad injuries during the last five days. Many of them have been freak injuries that don’t even look that bad at the time, but guys just get hit the wrong way. Jenik’s was a collision well after the whistle. Such a shame.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I actually thought teams were healthier than usual coming in to the tourney, but there’s definitely been a lot of bad injuries during the last five days. Many of them have been freak injuries that don’t even look that bad at the time, but guys just get hit the wrong way. Jenik’s was a collision well after the whistle. Such a shame.

My only hope is for Stutzle to go OFF in the relegation round.

I've been hurt by Caufield getting displaced by the release of Wahlstrom to the WJCs and Team Russia being virtually useless on the PP.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
My only hope is for Stutzle to go OFF in the relegation round.

I've been hurt by Caufield getting displaced by the release of Wahlstrom to the WJCs and Team Russia being virtually useless on the PP.
Stützle easily could do that. OR... Germany beats Russia and it’s the Russians in relegation. Now THAT might get that Russian powerplay going! :laugh:

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
About time Marchenko went off. I'm just annoyed it was against Germany. 10 points this morning should do wonder for my team though

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Darn...I'm trying to move up and got a slick 10 pts today too...will it get me out of the basement though? Well done on your rebound day C4G :)

I'm sure there are others ahead you can pass. Congrats on the 10 point day. I'm pretty sure there's a rule this year that says if you run a pool you have to finish last in it. Not sure how Statsy did today.

I ended the day with 15 which really helps. If only the Finns can beat the Americans on Thursday I'll likely have all my players into the semis barring other upsets, and Askarov is starting again(damn German goal in the final minute would have given me 2 more points). It's not toally out of the question I could win. Only most likely.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I'm sure there are others ahead you can pass. Congrats on the 10 point day. I'm pretty sure there's a rule this year that says if you run a pool you have to finish last in it. Not sure how Statsy did today.

I ended the day with 15 which really helps. If only the Finns can beat the Americans on Thursday I'll likely have all my players into the semis barring other upsets, and Askarov is starting again(damn German goal in the final minute would have given me 2 more points). It's not toally out of the question I could win. Only most likely.
I’ve definitely been following the rules that say you have to do terribly in your own pool. I always do better in your pool, C4G. It’s just one of life’s little mysteries as to why that happens.

On another note, sorry guys, I might have to do the update tomorrow. It’s been another rough day for my schedule.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
After Preliminary Round:

StandingsDay6.png

We have now completed the group stage and the playoffs will separate the men from the boys! Canada4Gold had a HUGE day collecting a near record 15 points. Kirill Marchenko was his high point guy, but perhaps more importantly, Askarov has regained the Russian net for him. C4G jumps from 7th to 3rd (not bad for a day's work!), and now finds himself one point behind FightingSioux for second. After dominating the pool in the early going, Christien had a surprisingly quiet Day 6, picking up 4 points. He does still retain the lead by 3, however. GrandLarseny had a solid 7 point day and remains in fourth. Khabby's slow day drops him from 3rd to 5th (But compared to his C4G pool entry, the 29 points is amazing! :laugh:). WeThreeKings and Statsy each pick up 5 points today, but that just wasn't enough on what was a huge stat day in the tournament. Tomsburninghat has his team show some signs of life as his team has a strong 9 point day (He reported 10 in an earlier post. Did I miss one? :dunno:) to pull within striking distance of exiting the basement. We now have an off day before heading into the quarterfinals...and relegation off course. Happy New Year everyone!

Reactions: FightingSioux

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wow. Didn't think I'd be within 4. If only Askarov got that shutout and I picked up a couple more I could have jumped from last to 1st in 1 day. That'd probably be unprecedented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->