Pool: Statsy's WJC Pool: 8th Edition

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
So is there any picks that need to be replaced? I think this stand still to pick a goalie will take while.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
So is there any picks that need to be replaced? I think this stand still to pick a goalie will take while.
These guys don’t get forever to make their goalie pick. If Fighting Sioux hasn’t picked his keeper by 5:00 PM PST / 8:00 PM EST, then he gets skipped and WeThreeKings gets first crack at it.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
As for replacement picks, to this point I don’t think we need any. This pool was curiously conservative when it comes to gambling on guys as compared to the free wheeling “Let it ride” attitude that guys had in the Canada4Gold pool. Or perhaps our slightly later starting date provided enough time for some clarity to emerge on the status of some of the players. I haven’t checked the latest news today, so there may be some recent cuts/injuries that I don’t yet know about.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Can’t believe it took until the 10th round for a Canadian goalie to be picked. But someone took Dostal? :sarcasm:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is not Amir pick, it's the last pick. It's my last pick. I'm gonna be Miftakhov if he doesn't start and I'm sure the guy who got Askarov will be Bragin.

Amir Miftakhov Russia G

Reactions: Statsy

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
We have our first official casualty, as Anton Lundell has been ruled out of the tournament. Khabby you’re up for your replacement pick.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I thought taking a Regula guy would be a decent pick as late as it was, but apparently Regular guys aren't good enough to make the exceptional American team.

I'll take my token Leaf prospect to replace him in Kokkonen. I'll let Khabby or Statsy take that layup pun. I'm not touching it.

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
Wish Lundell would of been able to play, I had visions of him Killinen it. I guess Ill take another Fin to replace him. Lenni Killinen - F - FIN

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
I want to wish each of you and your families a very Merry Christmas and holiday season!
My Christmas gift to you is my potentially terrible team...looking at pre-games my boys aren't looking too hot minus one or two players. See you for all of the action starting tomorrow!!!
Best, Tom

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I may go exactly Askarov my goalie takes me after all. Nowhere, and I'm Mif'd about it

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The first day of action is complete, and what a slate of games it was! I've updated everybody's individual table, but I haven't had time to make a pretty standings table as of yet. I'll get that done tomorrow. Until then, here's what the first day brought:

FightingSioux 6-4-2-0-12
Christien 1-7-2-0-10
Khabby 3-2-0-0-5
Canada4Gold 2-3-0-0-5
GrandLarseny 2-3-0-0-5
Statsy 1-2-2-0-5
WeThreeKings 1-3-0-0-4
Tomsburninghat 1-0-2-0-3

It's a two horse race out of the gate as Fighting Sioux and Christien each hit double digits, both buoyed by a goalie win to go with a high scoring Canada/USA game. There's a logjam at 5 points with half the pool off to a so-so start. A slow day for Tomsburninghat sees him with just one actual scoring point, though his Swiss keeper was able to collect the sure thing win over Kazakhstan. Tomorrow sees just a pair of games including three of the lowest ranked teams competing. However, those with a heavy American flavour to their roster might see a chance to gain some traction on the field.

Reactions: Christien

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Okay, I'm about to update the pool for today, but I guess first I should update the points from today that were actually from yesterday (?!?!?).

It would seem that they have added assists to Lavoie, Cozens, Gustafsson, and a pair for Soderstrom.

Therefore yesterday's totals should actually read:

FightingSioux 6-4-2-0-12
Christien 1-7-2-0-10
GrandLarseny 2-5-0-0-7
Statsy 1-3-2-0-6
Khabby 3-2-0-0-5
Canada4Gold 2-3-0-0-5
Tomsburninghat 1-2-2-0-5
WeThreeKings 1-3-0-0-4

Reactions: GrandLarseny

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
After Day 2:

Christien 3-14-2-0-19
FightingSioux 8-7-2-0-17
GrandLarseny 4-7-0-0-11
WeThreeKings 2-5-0-0-7
Statsy 1-4-2-0-7
Khabby 3-2-0-0-5
Canada4Gold 2-3-0-0-5
Tomsburninghat 1-2-2-0-5

With only a couple of games being played, and numerous bottom dwelling teams making up that schedule, it didn't seem like there would be many points on the board for the taking. Yet miraculously, Christien and FightingSioux picked up right where they left off yesterday... cleaning everyone's clock! Christien got four assists from American depth player Trevor Zegras (I stole that line from the GDT!), 1+1 from Wahlstrom and 3 singles from others he had in the USA/Germany game for an impressive 9 point day. That outburst puts him into top spot in the pool. FightingSioux received another 3 points from the unknown and yet somehow Gretzky-like, Shane Pinto. His other US players Robertson and Brink also chipped in to give him 5 points on the day. GrandLarseny picked up 4 points to solidify 3rd place with a big day from German Dominik Bokk... not to mention an impressive off day for Victor Soderstrom as his two assists were finally counted. WeThreeKings gets out of the basement with 3 singles. The rest of the field didn't get much production and in some cases, didn't even have any players in action. It's another big day ahead of us tomorrow with a full 4 game slate... plus the addition of whatever assists they missed from today! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad