Statistics Thread

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yea I commented in one of the gameweek threads recently that Mahrez was expected to be a backup at City, but has been one of their best players over the last 2 years.

He has been really good over the course of this year. Funny that City fans were not high on him when he first arrived.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Mahrez at City does a great job of giving City width so De Bruyne can go further up into that 10 space. Makes it feel like they are attacking with at least four at all times while giving KDB all the space he can have.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He has been really good over the course of this year. Funny that City fans were not high on him when he first arrived.
More than just City fans. I remember some people were saying Draxler was better and that Mahrez wasn’t that good (I was pining for Mahrez because there was a link to Liverpool). Mahrez really is a wonderful player though. I’d say City’s second best behind Kevin de Bruyne tbh,. I always wondered why he wasn’t a consistent starter for them.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wouldn't say easily. Bernardo Silva when at his best is better, but I think Mahrez has been the more consistent player.
Personally I don't think Silva at his best is better than Mahrez either; I don't think Mahrez has dropped in level from when he was the PotY much for Leicester he just doesn't play as consistently with City. Even this season he's got something like 750 minutes less in the league than say de Bruyne and 600 less than Sterling despite, IMO, clearly being the better player between those two. At his best Mahrez is unplayable, and I also agree he's more consistent. His production per minute is actually even higher than de Bruyne's in the CL/PL if you include penalties won (a goal or assist every 85 minutes for Mahrez, every 93 minutes for de Bruyne).

Silva is and can be a wonderful player though. I think he's a bit overhyped myself, but still a great talent.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Haha, put Draxler on this City team and he dominates too.
You have zero understanding of context. Your Liverpool players analysis proves it in fact.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
From earlier in the season, but just saw it. He's been fantastic this season.

ELrdC3iXsAAf9YJ

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
EbsRFnjXQAIZaUI

Massive numbers for Kortney Hause, but it's also because he plays for Villa and they defend all game.

Damn, Joe Gomez looking pretty good there especially for a team that doesn’t defend a lot.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just a few more statistics on Joe Gomez:

Liverpool have never lost a PL game in which Joe Gomez has started at CB. Since the beginning of the 2017/18 season their record with Joe Gomez at CB is 20 wins, 2 draws, with conceding 0.4 goals per game and having a 64% clean sheet rate; in the same time period without Joe Gomez at CB they've got 35 wins, 6 draws and 2 losses allowing 0.7 goals per game with a 39% clean sheet rate.

When Joe Gomez returned from injury this season this is how the team's performance changed:

Gheerbrant attributes a significant drop in shots faced (10.4 to 7.1) by Liverpool, shots on target faced (2.9 to 2.0) and expected goals value (1.01 to 0.70) of those chances to Gomez returning to the team, compared to the 14 games he didn’t feature in earlier this year.

Joe Gomez also as highlighted above has the highest recovery rate on the team ahead of van Dijk, he also plays the most passes per 90 mins on the team. His dribbling stats are also really impressive; much higher than van Dijk's or Matip's and also at a higher success rate.

There's more, but if you just watch him play and actually focus on him you can see what an amazing defender he already is. He'll only get better too as he (hopefully) stays away from injury. His level of play doesn't drop for the national team either.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
EbsRFnjXQAIZaUI

Massive numbers for Kortney Hause, but it's also because he plays for Villa and they defend all game.

Great to see the context here that you mention about Hause. All too often people post this sort of thing with no context. That's why I liked your post. I won't even mention that I drafted Upamecano, Saliba, Badiashile and Fofana. Won't even mention it. :D That said exactly how important loose ball recoveries are is debatable. I think you might have a takeaway or two from it, but it's like tackles and interceptions. Tackles are important and can tell you a few things, but I'm more interested in how many interceptions a defender has because that tells me in part how he reads the game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Great to see the context here that you mention about Hause. All too often people post this sort of thing with no context. That's why I liked your post. I won't even mention that I drafted Upamecano, Saliba, Badiashile and Fofana. Won't even mention it. :D That said exactly how important loose ball recoveries are is debatable. I think you might have a takeaway or two from it, but it's like tackles and interceptions. Tackles are important and can tell you a few things, but I'm more interested in how many interceptions a defender has because that tells me in part how he reads the game.
Worth noting of course that all of the defensive counting stats (tackles, interceptions, clearances, etc.) will be propped up by playing on a team that doesn't have much of the ball.

Incidentally Joe Gomez also leads Liverpool in interceptions per 90 (along with the highest number of passes/crosses blocked per 90 of the centrebacks).

But anyway don't mean to turn this into solely a Joe Gomez thread. Will stop now.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Worth noting of course that all of the defensive counting stats (tackles, interceptions, clearances, etc.) will be propped up by playing on a team that doesn't have much of the ball.

Right, which is I was noted his putting Hause into context.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Grealish wow. I used to think he was overrated but he’s really really good.
I think the question with Grealish is whether he can be as good as he has been with Villa when he touches the ball half or a third as much with a top team.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
With 1.6 tackles per game he was actually 10th on his team in that stat. 5 other defenders who made appearances had more tackles/game than him.

That may be the case, but Saliba is the best defender on that team by all accounts. Fofana had a fine season, but Saliba still looks better. He's not entirely proven yet, but Saliba looks like a real score for Arsenal.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That may be the case, but Saliba is the best defender on that team by all accounts. Fofana had a fine season, but Saliba still looks better. He's not entirely proven yet, but Saliba looks like a real score for Arsenal.
He might very well be, and regardless he's a great pickup for Arsenal at 19, but it's a bad tweet since he didn't even play many games, and his tackling stats compared to his team aren't impressive. Why not point out his interceptions, clearances, passing rate, passing accuracy, etc. that are all more impressive than his tackling stats?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
He might very well be, and regardless he's a great pickup for Arsenal at 19, but it's a bad tweet since he didn't even play many games, and his tackling stats compared to his team aren't impressive. Why not point out his interceptions, clearances, passing rate, passing accuracy, etc. that are all more impressive than his tackling stats?

I think the fact that he didn't commit a foul is impressive and fair game to be tweeted regardless of the rest of it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think the fact that he didn't commit a foul is impressive and fair game to be tweeted regardless of the rest of it.
Do players who make fewer than 2 tackles per game typically commit many fouls?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Do players who make fewer than 2 tackles per game typically commit many fouls?

I would say it depends on a lot of factors like their position, but I'd say the stat looks really impressive. Some of his teammates have made similar tackles per match and have notably higher foul counts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad